Register

Thou shall not covet

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Thou shall not covet

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Do you know the model number? Mine (bought in 1974) is A701A.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

I wish I'd known about this a few years ago! I acquired an old Kenwood from an elderly friend but it started leaking oil and so I chucked it :evil:

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:51 pm

It's in Sheffield. Pampy. I'm in London. :o

No hurry though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:09 pm

I think most of these services expect to work via courier - my old espresso machine went to Liverpool, they sent a courier with a special box which we dropped it into, it went off on its rptravels and came back only a few days later

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:33 pm

I mentioned locaton more from the perspective of not knowing what model it is.

However having it picked up from my mother's would be difficult in thr extreme for numerous reasons, probably give her a tummy upset thinking about it, and it's not even for her benefit.

Postby ShotleyGirl62 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:23 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:a collapasable Waitrose sieve and a double ended thingy (for Ice-cream ?)

Patsy I bought a collapsible sieve for our self catering holidays, fitted nicely into the suitcase and worked well for me :thumbsup

Postby ShotleyGirl62 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:I wanted a ridged griddle plate to produce those succulent striped steaks and courgettes so beloved of chefs. Saved up, bought one, the kitchen filled with smoke, the extractor couldnt cope, the smoke alarms went off, never again, sold it at a car boot for a very stupid amount of money.

Chinch, NBM would use one regularly for cooking steak, but he always says that you must season the griddle pan before using it, he swears by it and only oils the steak and not the griddle pan when cooking with it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:51 pm

herbidacious wrote:I mentioned locaton more from the perspective of not knowing what model it is.

However having it picked up from my mother's would be difficult in thr extreme for numerous reasons, probably give her a tummy upset thinking about it, and it's not even for her benefit.

Misunderstood completely, thought you meant the service centre was oop north

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:33 pm

Years ago I saw something called Turron in a Spanish supermarket. The pic on the front of the box was very inviting. On getting home I was disappointed to find a dried up nougat-like substance, not a bit chewy or nutty.

Another disappointment was oysters. We had them at a posh hotel buffet in Perth, Australia. Our relatives said they were the best in the area. I couldn't see (or taste) what the fuss was about.

I can second the poor service of KitchenAid. I had a food processor which was supposed to have a shatterproof plastic lid. Made of aircraft material according to the blurb. It cracked after a couple of years and I was unable to buy a replacement. Customer Services were totally useless.

Postby aero280 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:38 pm

I like Turron, but it's like any confection, the quality varies hugely.

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Some customer service starts with "Can you send a photo of it" and total silence after that.

I found it bemusing that I was asked to send a photo of something for which I had received the presentation box but not the item supposedly inside. If I could find a method of photographing a nonexistent item, I'd patent it immediately ;)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:36 pm

My Kitchenaid Food processor lid has chipped away in places too. Partly because of the rubbish design. It needs to be made of aircraft-stengthen material!

I feel a little bitter about the device. My ugly old Braun was much better. But I feel stuck with it given how much it cost! And because it's so user unfriendly, I hardly ever use it. Maybe I should do a swap with the one in France (the aforementioned Braun), assuming the damp hasn't killed it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Found this thread as I've rather fallen for the idea of a Mason Cash Innovative Kitchen pastry board/mat.

This is the glass version: https://www.masoncash.co.uk/catalogsear ... stry+board

There's also a silicone version, which can be used in the oven if you want. They don't seem to stock it at Mason Cash, but Amazon does it.

I'm just a bit concerned that the silicone one will be awkward to store as we have very limited storage space and ideally it would line up with the other chopping boards. But, I had a couple of Ikea chopping mats - I'm not sure what they were made of but I could put them in the dishwasher - and they were too flimsy to stack neatly between the toaster and the wall with the others.

How flimsy or floppy are they generally? I've seen some advertised that roll up for storage - but I can't imagine they're particularly flat when you're trying to use them!

I'm not sure but I think I may keep the glass one down on the surface, which is quite old wood blocks.
OH asked me why I wanted one :oops: and I couldn't really come up with a reason except that it has the rather useful US/UK/ml cup sizes and C/F temperature conversions as well as quite handy circles of different diameters in inches and cm ....

I tend to use the greaseproof paper that comes with ready rolled pastry at the moment.

Hmm .... what do you think?

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 pm

The only reason I can think of to buy a glass board would be if it would fit in the fridge or freezer to chill before use.

For ease of use, I use the thin silicone ones (about 4 or 5 for £7 or so). I cut a couple in half for small chopping boards. Dishwasher-able, but they don't roll up. I imagine they could be marked for circles on one side with an indelible marker if you buy the transparent ones, but I haven't tried.

My posh boards rarely see daylight now although I keep them in case silicon becomes extinct for some reason even though it's not plastic.

I did buy some flimsy silicon baking tray liners that rolled up. However, they smoked like mad when I put them in the oven. Luckily they were only a quid or so from a pound shop.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:05 pm

I love my silicon baking tray liner. It rolls up but wouldn't be suitable to be used as a chopping board. I like my plastic chopping boards which just go in the dishwasher - probably bought from Sainsburys or somewhere like that. They would certainly be robust enough to stand with trays. Mine live in a cupboard on top of the food processor and hardly take up any useful space.

I've got a glass one which has little legs. I've never dared chop anything on it, it seems wrong to chop on glass, it seems so delicate. It sits over a mark on the worktop by the sink made by a bottle of Vanish once. It would drive me mad if it sat permanently on the area of worktop I use to work.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 pm

I'm on a sort of similar quest at the moment KC2.

I like the look of that as far as size goes and good price too plus it's thick tempered glass, good for putting hot things onto if needed. I like it a lot. Plain would be more my taste but I could live with conversion charts - definitely like the pastry circles which would be really useful. Good for an added wipeable surface. The only issue with glass or stone surfaces is dulling knives if chopping on them but easy enough to use another board just for cutting. Glass is good to keep down on a counter I would say. I like having a hard protective second layer board on wood counters where a lot happens. If your counter is wood, this would be good. It's very easy to damage wood counters in so many ways.

Ikea ones I'm thinking of are polypropylene. They're good for chopping but not something to leave out imo. Cheap n cheerful, last ages, not pretty as they do get cut marks in them but perfect for use on something like that glass board. Easy enough to stash sideways somewhere.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finfoerdel ... -30335898/

I've been looking a large glass or stone board for a sink side area that is wasted space when left as is and I like to work right next to the sink, so I usually have a very large chopping board sitting on top which isn't ideal as the area is actually larger/wider than than most chopping boards.

This marble pastry board is kind of in the ball park but not brilliant plus overpriced for what it is IMO.
https://www.worldmarket.com/product/whi ... rom=Search

I'm going to look around for bits at a tile and stone fitter's offcuts yard tomorrow. My dream kitchen would be all stainless steel, stone and glass!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:10 pm

I do like the look of the pastry board, but definitely don't need it!

I use a set of Joseph Joseph coloured boards which are plastic and sit in a little case, love them, they go in the dishwasher

I also have a large one that came with my sink unit, too big to go in the dishwasher but it's great in a small kitchen, I can prep a load of veg on it, just dropping the trimmings into the sink to pick up in one go, it has strips so it sits tightly over the sink

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Some years ago we had access to a family holiday house where the kitchen was equipped with a glass chopping board.
I hated it because the knife skidded on contact.
Not sure how I managed to keep all my fingers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 am

I see that glass ones are being sold as cutting/chopping board, but I have always understood you shouldn’t use knives on them, both because of the slipping and because the hard surface damages knife blades

Good Housekeeping (US) agrees

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cookin ... ing-board/

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:22 am

The Lakeland roll up silicon pastry mat is great ... it sort of 'sticks' to the worktop when you use it and stays absolutely flat, and then you wipe it , 'peel' it off the worktop and roll it up and put it away. Just be careful not to use too sharp a blade to cut your pastry shapes. I had to buy a second one having sliced right through the first :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox