Register

Thou shall not covet

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Thou shall not covet

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am

jeral wrote:Some customer service starts with "Can you send a photo of it" and total silence after that.

I found it bemusing that I was asked to send a photo of something for which I had received the presentation box but not the item supposedly inside. If I could find a method of photographing a nonexistent item, I'd patent it immediately ;)

For some reason your post reminded me of Rhod Gilbert's suitcase experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpyBePpL4TE

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am

That's a good link, Sue. I sometimes use the Joseph folding/pouring one (no 5) at GD's house and hate it. It folds when it should be flat and vice versa and isn't very big. Things get stuck in the grooves and so it has to be carefully washed too.

BTW, when did a chopping board become a cutting board - or is there a difference?

Meganthemog - :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 pm

I agree, glass is awful for chopping on. We discovered that years ago when they were all the rage, and ended up throwing the one we had away. We also had a chopping board with a funnel - not the Joseph Joseph fold up one but a stable one from Lakeland. Can't remember why that bit the dust. My recent discovery was that you can funnel the chopped veg into the pot via the handle and it doesn't spill all over thehob as you're doing it :D

We use some sort of poly stuff boards, and I have a green one for onions, garlic, etc as I got very annoyed every time OH cut up our breakfast fruit on the board that had been used for garlic the previous evening! It's fine after the dishwasher but I don't put it in as often as I run the DW. He STILL sometimes uses the wrong one for onions/garlic ... why??!!! I sometimes wonder if he does it to wind me up :lol:
(Actually I think I'm a bit ott about chopping boards, I have a lovely wooden bread board that I don't like using for anything except bread :oops: No-one ever understands why I don't wish to use it for anything else :oops: )

Good to know that your Lakeland one is so practical, Suffs, and still sits flat despite being rollable uppable.

Love the sound of your over-sink board, Sue :thumbsup

Should I ever reach a decision, I'll update this thread :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I see that glass ones are being sold as cutting/chopping board, but I have always understood you shouldn’t use knives on them, both because of the slipping and because the hard surface damages knife blades

Good Housekeeping (US) agrees

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cookin ... ing-board/

I have always understood that a glass chopping board blunts knives ... I seem to recall having one back in the day, but in any event the noise of the knife hitting the glass used to make my teeth go on edge. Now I think they are more a fashion accessory aren't they ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

I was surprised- I was looking for a picture of the one that goes over my sink, and so I started by searching for the manufacturer, and they (Blanco) now seem to make a lot of glass ones that they described as chopping boards, which is why I mentioned it

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

The decision on new accessories is always tricky. The pendulum swings between "posh and objet d'art" and "how often will I use it? +dishwasher".

I find my thin ones cut in half win 99% of the time for veg etc. A full size one is fine if pastry is bought, although I'll dig out my big wooden one-piece pastry board if proper pastry making. Like you, this gets used for nothing else, or woe betide ;)

Meganthemog, tee hee at the comedy video link :D I liked Rhod's perspicacity when speaking of buying baking potatoes... "I'd like one please." "They come in packs of two." "No they don't. You did that!"

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 pm

One of the benefits of a granite worktop - it's ideal for rolling pastry, pizza bases etc! A wipe down with anti-bac cleaner before and after and it doesn't have to go in the dishwasher!
I don't cut directly onto it though.

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:50 pm

snap - and they're nice and cool, too.
although i don't use anti-bac - just a damp, washing up liquid infused sponge.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 01, 2021 2:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I was surprised- I was looking for a picture of the one that goes over my sink, and so I started by searching for the manufacturer, and they (Blanco) now seem to make a lot of glass ones that they described as chopping boards, which is why I mentioned it

In a previous place I had, the (brown :thumbsdown ) sink unit (that I chose :roll: ) came with it's own wooden chopping board that fitted over the sink ..

Postby Pampy » Sat May 01, 2021 3:08 pm

I've had one of those too. It was useful at the time.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 pm

Ha, this turned up on my "based on your previous" Amazon page recommendations; the English translation is a hoot, as is the video!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Mea ... deals&th=1

It does actually look like a decent buy ...

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Looks like a good size, too, KC2. Is it quite thick?

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Well, I got it, and it perfectly fits the space between the hob and the sink! Maybe too big ... anyway. It is quite thin, seems pretty non-slip and will roll up or fold for storage.
I like the US cup conversions as it will save me looking up every time I bake a US cake recipe.

It can go in the dishwasher but I have no idea how I would fit it in if I were to try :lol:
Attachments
new pastry mat.JPG
new pastry mat.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 3659 times

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

I was tempted by the discussion about pastry mats, but couldn't work out how they fit in the dishwasher either! :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 14, 2021 6:28 pm

I just loosely drape my silicon mat in the dishwasher and it seems to work.

Postby Suffs » Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 pm

I just wipe mine over with a hot soapy water and a kitchen sponge or damp cloth. Wipe with a tea towel roll up and put away.

Postby scullion » Fri May 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I just loosely drape my silicon mat in the dishwasher and it seems to work.

snap.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Has anyone got one of these? https://www.lakeland.co.uk/32222/Zenker ... -accordion
I'm tempted!

Postby liketocook » Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Has anyone got one of these? https://www.lakeland.co.uk/32222/Zenker ... -accordion
I'm tempted!

TBH the reviews aren't great and if it's anything like my silicon loaf "tins" it's hard to handle and the finished product tends to bulge a bit at the sides.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 31, 2021 3:29 am

I agree about the loaf tins. I´ve got two: one silicon and the other metal. In the silicon tin, the loaf comes out lopsided and slightly less cooked than in the metal one. Not a big deal, but the next tin I buy will be metal.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox