Register

Thou shall not covet

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Thou shall not covet

Postby jeral » Mon May 31, 2021 8:59 am

I have a shallow Tefal plate pie one that I bought about 25yrs ago, with a lip and little extension either side for handles. The silicone is thick and it has an embedded springy wire band in the rim so it never loses its shape. It developed a split in the side wall recently, yet so far I haven't found anything to replace it that I'd be happy with. "They don't make 'em like they used to."

The linked Zenker one doesn't look at all promising to me, although I gather Lakeland give quibble-free returns so might be worth a gamble.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 31, 2021 10:08 am

I like my silicone madeleine and mini muffin trays, but in both cases they're supported on metal trays in use and there is so little mixture required it doesn't go out of shape. That said, my 1 lb loaf tin works OK too, but doesn't get used as often.

Postby aero280 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 am

I have found that I need to support my silicone stuff with a metal tray. They are impossible to remove from the oven without breaking the contents, otherwise.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 am

The illustrated tin/mould looks different from ordinary silicon ones as it seems the glass fibre makes it far more robust. I rarely use my normal silicon baking ware as I find it so floppy to handle, (I can see that for madeleines it would be fine but nothing larger) and agree with aero re the metal tray but this might not need it. Hard to say without trying it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks, all, for the input. My lust has been assuaged :lol: :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox