Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 12, 2021 9:30 am

I made an odd veg stew last night, rather loosely based on a Korean jjiggae
I had a jar of Waitrose “Kimchi seasoning paste” so I mixed some of that with miso and boiling water to make a base and added garlic, a sweet potato, leek, carrot, cauliflower and simmered before finally adding silken tofu

Surprisingly good! And no off flavours for me

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am

Do you think that’s because you’re getting back to normal Sue or is it because there was nothing that might have triggered the “off effect”?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 12, 2021 9:53 am

A bit of both I think thanks PP
It’s been two steps forward and one step back, recently my sense of smell has returned to normal strength, the hawthorn blossom is almost overwhelming. This is good, but I think some of the “wrong” smells are therefore more obvious.
I’ve got some unflavoured toothpaste which helps, synthetic peppermint was making me nauseous, and that was one of the things that got worse as my smell improved

Postby liketocook » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

My son's on cooking duty this evening - Chicken Chasni from "The Curry Guy's Bible" with rice and salad. He'll make extra sauce as we have discovered it goes rather nicely with sausages. :D

Postby Gruney2 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Tonight, I'll be making Nigella Lawson's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I'm intrigued.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Make sure you have your abacus at the ready Gruney - wouldn't want it to be 39/41 garlic cloves would we........... :lol:

Postby Amyw » Wed May 12, 2021 3:28 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Tonight, I'll be making Nigella Lawson's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I'm intrigued.

I’ve cooked that before and it’s lovely , hope you enjoy

Postby Gruney2 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks Amy - as I said, I'm intrigued.

Lusciouslush wrote:Make sure you have your abacus at the ready Gruney - wouldn't want it to be 39/41 garlic cloves would we........... :lol:

:lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks for the pomegranate chicken link ltc. Did you make it and how do you rate the recipe?

Rijstafel, KDKA - did you do the whole do-da? Love love love :D It's a production but is amazing to behold. And eat. Sounds like a dinner party was had! 8-)

Gill - Gong Bao is such a classic dish - quite sweet tho (as in sweet sour). General Tso's Chicken less so and Fish-fragrant chicken is not at all sweet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2s8ftcna32ce ... .docx?dl=0

Btw easily made using extra firm tofu of which I have half a block to use. Big tofu fan.

I've seen three of Fuchsia's Gong Bao recipes in different books/places and the sauce sugar/ vinegar ingredient quantities seem to vary tho the volume ratio of 1:1 are the same. I used the recipe from Sichuan Cooking and it was 2 tablespoons each, in another it's 1 tablespoon, on her website it's given as 1 teaspoon. Possibly a sauce volume thing but interesting how different the quantities are.

RockyBVI - the cheese thing happens to me a lot depending on what's been missing from where I've been!

Interesting, the Derbyshire oatcakes, herbidacious. I was looking at a Staffordshire oatcakes recipe the other day - they seem to be oatcake/hotcake-like. I have a large surfeit of rolled oats and looking for ways to use it other than oatmeal cookies which Mr0 loves but only so many a person can eat.

Gruney2 wrote:Tonight, I'll be making Nigella Lawson's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I'm intrigued.

It's a simple but great French country dish/casserole - not Nigella's btw :| (sorry but she really annoys me :evil: ) - I use anissette or Pernod. So good.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 12, 2021 5:35 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Thanks for the pomegranate chicken link ltc. Did you make it and how do you rate the recipe?

Yes made it at the weekend as did Sue. I really liked it but it to me the pul biber got lost and it needed more spice. Sue thought the sumac got lost in hers. I'll definitely make again but add some hotter pepper along with the pul biber,

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Rijstafel, KDKA - did you do the whole do-da?

Only in Amsterdam in my experience for perfection - or there abouts - nothing, just nothing - can compete if you want the real-deal.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Gruney2 wrote:It's a simple but great French country dish/casserole - not Nigella's btw (sorry but she really annoys me ) - I use anissette or Pernod. So good.

I get a bit tired of knee-jerk Nigella bashing - she has never ever claimed she originated it - any more than she has ever claimed to invent the vexed orang & almond cake (which Claudia Roden didn't either, it's traditional, I make a recipe from a friend raised in Amman, Jordan), but if you are making it for the first time of course you follow Nigella's version, or Elizabeth David's version (which I have used - it's too dry, Nigella's is better) or Jane Grigson's, and I expect Julia Child wrote a recipe for it too and it's probably in Larousse

Nigella's version starts "When I was young, this old French classic was still - though in a quiet way - very much in vogue."

Postby Pampy » Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 pm

I think it was Zero Cook who made the comment about Nigella, not Gruney2. And I have to agree - I find Nigella annoying and irritating. Nothing to do with what she does/doesn't claim to be original, it's just her whole demeanour.

Postby Pampy » Wed May 12, 2021 11:57 pm

This is the chicken, pomegranate and sumac recipe that I used - it was nice but not as full of flavour that I expected https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oven ... cken_13123

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 am

Yeah, I never "do" Nigella's recipes. I think of her as a pudding baker really - which let's me off.
So when she does savoury, I automatically wonder where she's lifted that recipe.
I really cannot watch her.

Thanks for the dropbox recipe too, Zero.
I hadn't spotted the sweet vibe going on.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

I can see why people might be irritated by Nigella but the recipes work. I suppose partly because in the shows many recipes are introduced as 'my chicken' or 'my cake'.

My mind has wandered onto what could possibly be involved in 'the whole do-da' in Amsterdam! :D

Postby liketocook » Thu May 13, 2021 11:39 am

I'm not keen on watching Nigella but I like her recipes, they suit my palate, work and are doable for home cooks. Ticks all the boxes for me. I'm the same with Nigel Slater don't like his programmes but rate his writing/recipes. Most recipes in books for home cooks are IMHO based on others, I find both Nigella and Nigel pretty decent for acknowledging that.

Pampy a very similar recipe to the one I used with the same verdict - needs more oomph.

Butcher's pork sausages with leftover chasni sauce for dinner tonight with various veg and oven chips. I always like something easy to make on a Thursday, a legacy from my working days and known as "can't be a**ed" dinner in my house lol.

Postby Busybee » Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm

liketocook wrote:
Butcher's pork sausages with leftover chasni sauce for dinner tonight with various veg and oven chips. I always like something easy to make on a Thursday, a legacy from my working days and known as "can't be a**ed" dinner in my house lol.

Your comment really resonates with me ltc, Thursdays nearly always feature sausages and leftovers in our household for precisely the same reason! It’s odd how we still hold on to habits borne out of necessity although it’s been seven years since I gave up working.

BB

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 pm

I had to look up chasni sauce :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Me too :oops:. I hate cumin so it's not going anywhere near my sausages :lol:.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox