Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Kacey » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Made a red bean strew and dumplings yesterday with just enough leftovers to have with chips tonight.

When I was growing up, any winters night we had stew, was always followed by leftovers on chips the next, something I've always enjoyed. In fact leftovers of lots of things (curry and chilli especially) go well with chips.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:19 am

Chilli and chips was a regular Friday night thing.
Early doors in the pub, I go home and heat up the chilli, J goes for a bag of chips.

Those were the days.

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:30 am

Ah pubs ... seems like a lifetime ago

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:09 am

Ah pubs ... seems like a lifetime ago

Yep. But we´ve still got chips, right? :gonzo :gonzo

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:16 pm

I made a sort of goulash last night with some faux chicken strips I'd bought on a whim without a plan. Ach, it wasn't really a goulash. Smoked paprika doth not a goulash maketh etc. It also had some 'rosecoco' beans and chipotle flakes in it. I suppose it's what my deceased, carniverous uncle in law (cursed with two vegetarian sons) would have (tongue in cheek, somewhat) called 'veggie slop'. But it was very tasty veggie slop. Husband had it with pasta. I just had a bowlful with some grated cheese.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Kacey wrote:I'm trying Ottolenghi's Dirty Rice tonight, smells delicious so far. I think I've tried more dishes from 'Flavour' than any of his other books. The recipes still have a hefty list of ingredients but somehow they all seem to have much simpler, quicker methods.

I finally have some black garlic and cajun spice to make this... but no chestnuts. Any suggestions for a subsitute that would work with the dish?

Online suggestions for vegan dirty rice in generale range from vegan susage to lentils to kideny beans to tofu. Or should I try to get some chestnuts...?

I suppose it's just what would taste nice/go well with the other ingredients given that 'dirty' seems to be primarily what it looks like rather than an approximation of meaty authenticity!

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Yep. But we´ve still got chips, right?

Yep, and tonight they will be served with spicy bean burgers and salad.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:24 pm

In the end last night I roasted some cauli with garlic and paprika and made a dish of it with giant couscous I bought a couple of weeks ago - I didn't realise until I'd bought it that I had wholemeal couscous, and I don't think it's terribly nice, I cooked according to the package instructions (Merchant Gourmet, so usually a reliable source) and that worked well, quite a good texture, just not keen on the flavour of stale cardboard. I added some toasted flaked almonds I found a small quantity of in the freezer when looking to see if I had cashews or a substitute for the HB's recipe

It would have been nicer, cheaper, and easier with coarse bulghar than the couscous, and I always have couscous

Will check the leftovers & see if I think I can tart them up later

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:19 pm

I love roasted cauliflower. Actually I just love cauliflower!

We had an autumnal pork stew on Sunday night. I made extra rice so that we could have fried rice last night which we did. With a ginger chicken dish I made up. Was lovely.

Tonight we will have Sicilian sausage stew which I clipped from MiL's Telegraph ages ago. We use hot Italian sausages and it is really tasty. Will have that with broccoli

Postby Kacey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 pm

I've made the Dirty Rice a second time, but didn't have any chestnuts left. I did have some chestnut mushrooms so I used those instead. OH preferred the version without the chestnuts, I liked them both and would definitely make it with chestnut mushroom next time - especially as I couldn't find actual chestnuts this side of Christmas!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm

Thanks, Kacey!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm

We made some breakfast muffins yesterday using Aldi linseed with sesame, blueberries and raspberries. Plus plain flower, eggs, milk, baking powder, blueberries, some frozen raspberries, pumpkin seeds, handful of granola, chopped pecans, mashed banana...basically anything that needed using! Really good.

Dinner last night was a beef and vegetable stew which cooked for hours, along with garlic and thyme potatoes topped with parmesan and some sauteed greens.

Lunch today ended up being cheddar, spinach and jalapeno quesadillas with a handful of rocket on the side.

Dinner will be something with chicken thighs. I'm thinking along the lines of creamy French dijon chicken with green beans and mushrooms. Possibly rice or pappardelle with it. I feel like it needs tarragon or parsley but we have neither. We have white wine however so the other essential accompaniment is sorted. Priorities and all that.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 am

As my oven went on yesterday I cooked.... sausage rolls, mince pies, baked pots, a beetroot, a spicy chx. & veg pie, toad in the hole (we had dinner at midday) and a pepper & onion flan. Should see us through for a few days.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 am

You really do eat well Zosh :thumbsup

Yesterday was sausages, mash and sautéed leeks.
Tonight will be chilli if the mince ever thaws!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:13 pm

Last night was a lentil stew from the freezer with mash with some leek and cabbage mashed in

Wish I could remember how I made the stew, it’s excellent :D

I’m making a sort of ribollita for lunches, I soaked some beans overnight but, presumably due to the cold, they haven’t rehydrated as much as I expected so I’ve got them in the pressure cooker :crossed

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Wish I could remember how I made the stew

I make a lentil stew with tomatoes and lemon.
I can dig the recipe out if it's of interest.

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: I soaked some beans overnight but, presumably due to the cold, they haven’t rehydrated as much as I expected

i haven't found that room temperature makes any difference but if they've been on the shelf quite a while, it does.

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Feel like I should contribute to this thread a bit more often.

Last night we ate Vietnamese sea bass with carrots and mange-touts. Very tasty it was too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:14 pm

I would die for a proper meal today, but...
I made some empanadas (turnovers) last week and decided to have a couple for breakfast on Tuesday. Freak accident: one of my teeth snapped off, right on the gum. OMG :shock: :shock:
Finally got an appointment with the dentist today, but unfortunately, there was no way to save any of the tooth, so it had to come out.
SOUP today - change of post to Amy´s Soup Thread :? :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Oh dear oh dear, so sorry to hear that :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox