Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 16, 2021 8:03 pm

On my way oooooover ......

Postby Binky » Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 pm

You're very welcome. Shall I pour you a glass of Pinot Grigio in readiness?

:gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 17, 2021 11:39 am

he he he. :wino

Tony and I went to the local farm shop and bought an expensive chicken, thinking we'll treat ourselves.
We couldn't really tell the difference between that and a jolly nice one from Waitrose.
It cost £18, and we'll have chicken and mushroom soup with it tonight. But we shan't bother with the chicken again.

The veg was rather nice from there, I'll give them that.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 17, 2021 11:42 am

Good morning everyone,
Sirloin steak with mushrooms, asparagus, baby roast potatoes and peppercorn sauce yesterday.
Tonight I'm having a go at Jamie Oliver's cheese and broccoli pierogis from the "7 ways" book. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bro ... e-pierogi/

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 17, 2021 3:00 pm

Two wonderful friends for lunch yesterday - hadn´t seen them for over 18 months :shock: :shock:
So it was Chicken Rizzala, dal, basmati and Madhur Jaffrey´s wonderful Bazaar potatoes for lunch.
I spent extra time making some home-made naan, sprinkled with nigella seeds. Put it back into the oven to warm up... and completely forgot about it :crying1 :crying1
Haha! Never mind - I´ll think of some way we can use it, even if it´s as a frisbee for the dog :gonzo :gonzo

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Dinner was cheddar and balsamic onion quiche (Bought. Very nice.) asparagus (disappointing), Jersey Royals (very good) and Hollandaise (also disappointing. Maybe my taste buds are 'off'. I'm not feeling very well...)

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 pm

We had the River Cafe's "Winter Minestrone" from BBC Good Food, which actually proved very appropriate with the accompaniment of a massive hail storm!!
(https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/riv ... minestrone)

Postby RockyBVI » Tue May 18, 2021 7:02 am

On Sunday we had Sicilian sausage stew using Italian sausages from the butcher. It has pepper, onions, tomatoes and potatoes in it so we just had it with some broccoli..

I started my new job yesterday :o and went into the office for the first day. I had quite a nice ginger chicken salad from Pret for lunch. We went out for dinner to ‘celebrate’ and I had asparagus, wild garlic and peas to start and chicken pie for main. Delicious!

I’m home today so lunch will be bits. OH is cooking dinner and I think is planning shredded sprouts and bacon linguine.

Postby scullion » Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Two wonderful friends for lunch yesterday

your appetite is better than mine - i can never manage a whole one...

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 11:02 am

The pierogi worked well, a tad faffy but one I'd happily do again. My shaping skills leave a lot to be desired but they didn't split which is the main thing. :)
Another Jamie Oliver that we've not tried before for dinner this evening Crispy Golden Chicken https://tamronhallshow.com/blog/recipes ... ie-oliver/ . As well as the avocado sauce we'll have green beans and air fried sweet potato chips with it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Your meals get better every day ltc!!

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Your meals get better every day ltc!!

Why thanks EM not sure it's justified but I am enjoying trying some new ways of cooking everyday food stuffs. With the work going on outdoors I'm rather thwarted in getting on with the garden. Once that changes it will be back to beans on toast! (Not there's anything wrong with beans on toast lol :yum )

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Anyone got any (V) ideas for (freezer) butternut squash pieces and a bag of mixed cut peppers please?

I have spud and other veg, egg, cheese, plus short and flaky ready-rolled pastry.

Many thanks.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Butternut squash and peppers with the addition of a tin of black beans make a fab chilli. It's probably my favourite way of using the frozen stuff. Served over a baked spud and topped with some grated cheese and I'm a happy bunny.

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Gosh, I haven't had chilli for ages and was thinking this morning about one quite independently of the veg question. I do have black beans, and a spud suitable for baking :)
Do you roast or saute the squash/pepper
pieces first?

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 2:36 pm

I usually but not always roast the squash first but tbh it's fine without doing that just add more seasoning if it needs it. Frozen peppers I just add after frying the base veg. I find they don't sauté well but are fine in the sauce.

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Thanks liketocook.

I think I'll roast the squash, and use residual then low heat to, finally, get round to trying oven-dried cherry toms with a pinch of salt that karadekoolaid gave instructions for a while back. The last lot of cherry toms I've bought are as tasteless as a tasteless thing (<- simile courtesy Hairy Biker).

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm

I am defrosting a couple of those Iberico pork steaks. They may or may not be by Unearthed - I have a cat on me so can’t get up to check. They are often RTC in Waitrose so I often buy them and bung them in the freezer. They are dead good with mash, veg, apple sauce and gravy. OH doesn’t complain and the Oddbox arrived overnight on Sun/Mon.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 pm

I'm a big Ainslie fan, and this evening, I made pan-fried mackerel with spinach, golden raisins and pine nuts, from his "Ainsley's Mediterranean Cookbook." Outstanding - and simplicity itself.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 18, 2021 8:54 pm

Waitrose emmental and gruyere (?) souffle with broccolini, chantenay carrots, French beans, mangetout, and a simple cream and parmesan sauce with garlic, and lots of black pepper.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox