Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:18 pm

Ha, Kacey's recipes were ace, it was ours that was duff :lol: :lol:

Postby liketocook » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Ha, Kacey's recipes were ace, it was ours that was duff :lol: :lol:

Whoops sorry :D

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:21 am

We certainly have had our fill of over indulgence.... Not much turkey left now..... I will probably add some to some excess of cream with some mushrooms for tomorrows supper. Over Christmas I picked up some very lean supermarket pork and used Lizzy Davids pork to taste like wild boar..... We had a portion each and the rest went in the DF as I knew we had enough stuff in the fridge that would need eating up. It will go well with some polenta (thanks Rocky) I forget about P. sometimes and it can be left to 'set' and then sliced up and used as a topping for casserole etc. and crisped up under the grill.

I too, have most of a large cauli. that will need to be used fairly soon. I also have cheese so may well do myself cauli cheese and something else for OH.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:05 pm

I do like cauliflower.

In my younger days, I did a veggie casserole bake = cauliflower, potato, broccoli, whole boiled eggs. Pour over bechamel white sauce, and grated cheese. Top with slices of tomato.
Bake.

I never make it any more, as Tony was decidedly unimpressed.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:23 pm

I'd never thought of a vegetable egg mornay despite having had most adaptations of veg, cheese and white or Bechamel sauce! As mentioned on the chat thread, I'm planning to use up cauli, leeks, milk etc in something like that today - I'll be adding hard boiled egg!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:09 pm

Goforit!
I used to love the dish because of the eggs. Mind you, I adore all things with egg.

Postby Kacey » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:14 pm

I was looking at a cauliflower curry recipe from Mowgli's Street Food cookbook. You add eggs which have been boiled then fried to the sauce at the end. Went with a different recipe in the end but the egg one will be made soon.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 pm

I was going to say I really like cauliflower in a curry. The sponginess of the florets works really well in absorbing the flavours

Postby liketocook » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:29 pm

I've got a notion for cauliflower now.
Bit of a cooking session today. I made a shepherd's pie for tonight's dinner with remains of Saturday's lamb and a some for the freezer. I also made a spinach & ricotta/tomato veg lasagne for tomorrow in my my new deep enamel baking dish, it's a monster!

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:22 am

Curried cauliflower cheese sounds good!

I’m never sure about eggs in béchamel dishes but I adore eggs so should try again.

Gill - we have been eating very heartily to say the least! Thankfully we have either had long days skiing or long walks.

On Sunday evening we had shredded sprouts and pancetta linguine with lots of broccoli. Yesterday we had a really lovely vegetable soup for lunch and dinner was grilled chicken in a made up marinade with salad.

At home all day today as we are working so lunch will be bread cheese and bits. Dinner will either be a spicy curry of some sort or takeaway pizza (OH is very keen!)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Having been entertained somewhat excessively over Christmas it has been a relief to reduce consumption and increase veg intake this week. Back to porridge for breakfast, veg soup & bread for lunch and sensible portions of dinner. We had our 'Christmas' goose on Sunday, with the usual sprouts, red cabbage, parsnips, peas & roasties. In fact as it was just the two of us, we cooked half the goose and froze the other half, probably for Easter. Consequently there was cold goose with bubble, HM coleslaw & pickles last night. The current batch of soup is leek & potato, the next ones will be beetroot, then squash, bean & corn. Tea tonight will be squash & sage risotto. There will be bacon & parsnip pasta later in the week and recent meals included mince & mash. Might have fish fingers with crusty bread & mushy peas on Friday, the plan is leek bake on Saturday, braised pheasant Sunday (leftovers with bubble & pickles Monday).

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:54 pm

Last night we had an amazing oxtail stew, served with sauteed leeks, steamed cauliflower and a parnsip, potato and horseradish patty each.

Tonight is chicken thighs in Madhur's lemon and coriander sauce, with rice and Gujarati green beans.
And no alcohol :shock:

My clothes seem to have shrunk in the last month.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:28 pm

WWordsworth wrote:

My clothes seem to have shrunk in the last month.

Funny you should say that, seems to have happened to mine too!

I think we're going to get take away pizza tonight from my friend's son's joint as DS1, who is currently here, hasn't tried them yet. Lunch was omelette with scrumptious left-over roast veg from last night, followed by a pumpkin bread muffin :yum I finally got round to making up a box of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread mix a friend of mine from New York brought when she visited some years ago!

They are yummy :yum :yum
Attachments
pumpkin bread muffins.JPG
pumpkin bread muffins.JPG (55.05 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:55 am

Cauliflower here too
I roasted most of the white florets with a touch of spice, mainly fennel at the weekend and had some with a harissa marinated mackerel fillet cooked alongside and jazzed up couscous

The leftover cauliflower and couscous was eaten with falafel the next day

Tonight I fished a portion of Chetna’s black eye bean and mushroom curry out of the freezer and made a thoran (spicy Kerala cabbage and carrot stir fry dish) using the rosette of stalks and leaves in place of the cabbage, cooking slightly longer. Definitely a thing to do. I had some basmati rice with it.

This is the recipe but ignore the serving instructions, in Kerala these dry veg dishes are served as one of several dishes on a thali ( or as several dishes to share) generally with a dal that provides the gravy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dry_ ... bage_71527

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:56 am

WWordsworth wrote:Last night we had an amazing oxtail stew, served with sauteed leeks, steamed cauliflower and a parnsip, potato and horseradish patty each.

Did you follow a recipe for your Oxtail stew WW ? I usually add the normal veg (carrots and onions) and a handful of dried soup/stew mix .... also interested in the 'parsnip, potato and horseradish patty' :thumbsup

TIA

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:19 am

I like the idea of that recipe, Sue. I could tweak it to my liking. Does anyone know if supermarkets sell coconut flesh?

Postby Pampy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:14 pm

Morrisons sells frozen, grated coconut flesh.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:17 pm

Thank you Pampy. I'll have a look.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:32 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I like the idea of that recipe, Sue. I could tweak it to my liking. Does anyone know if supermarkets sell coconut flesh?

Mine comes frozen from most supermarkets and many small shops

It’s grated and in an ideal world I’d prefer it a bit more coarsely shredded, but it tastes fine

The other changes I made to the thoran recipe was to replace the cumin with kalonji aka nigella seed as I’m still not enjoying cumin.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:13 pm

That sounds nice. I'd omit the cumin and curry leaves so would gradually try other flavours (maybe not authentic but more to my taste).

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox