Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:46 pm

herbidacious wrote:I suspect a lot of people (but almost certianly no one on here) think they dislike aubergines because they have only eaten undercooked versions - and undercooked aubergine is pretty revolting imo.

Now I'm just the opposite - I hate the "squashiness" that aubergines become when cooked.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm

I have made passata and put in freezer (I have run out of room now. Might have to ditch a bag of spinach) and there is a melanzane parmigiana in the oven.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Sounds good herbi, hope you can squeeze it all in without ditching the spinach. Could it be split up a stuffed in any nooks or crannies?

Postby herbidacious » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Maybe I could cook with it, but if husband doesn't want any aubergine, I will be eating it for days! It's bad timing if I am going away as I don't want to have too much food in the fridge, but will also need to make another batch of passata.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 pm

herbidacious wrote:Maybe I could cook with it, but if husband doesn't want any aubergine, I will be eating it for days! It's bad timing if I am going away as I don't want to have too much food in the fridge, but will also need to make another batch of passata.

You're gonna need a bigger freezer to misquote "Jaws" lol. Seriously I'd sacrifice the spinach for home cooked/grown stuff though perhaps OH could be tasked with eating that up if he won't eat the aubergine?

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Maybe wilt the spinach then blitz it, ready for adding to curry etc.
Takes up hardly any room but adds loads of flavour to dishes.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:11 am

OH had a bowl of it with his dinner (Quorn scampi) :? I persuaded him to add creme fraiche and some herbs and spices. I had two bags, goodness knows why. One was 3 years old so I decided I could justifty chucking that one.
Together this has made room for two small boxes of passata.

I probably only have two day's worth of meals to cook before I go away, if I go away, if husband won't eat any parmigiana... Question is, do I want to cook on my birthday.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 am

Don’t cook on your birthday Herbi!

Our meal planning went out the window. On Thursday we had a Chinese takeaway of Singapore fried rice, chilli chicken and a beef brisket dish (delicious). I made a kale and edamame dish - we have decided that a lot of the vegetable options are with uninteresting or very expensive.

Had leftovers of that for lunch yesterday and last night we had fish pie - which if I do say so myself was delicious!

Not sure what lunch will be. Dinner is ribeye steak with risotto(Oh’s favourite thing to have with steak at home)

Just off to to Kew Gardens 10k. It means OH and I can get into the gardens on the basis of my race entry and have a little look around too.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:42 am

Rocky, if I don't cook it will be a ready meal. We are not eating out until after we get to France (or don't go to France). I won't be celebrating it, basically, but I could give myself licence to not do much. I am off work from the day after for 12 days followed by 2 days wfh.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:43 pm

Definitely don't cook, Herbi :thumbsup :lol:

Postby liketocook » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 pm

You should cook on your birthday only if you want to herbi!

Tonight I'm cooking dish that I've not made for a very long time - chicken marinated in bbq sauce topped with pineapple and cheese. The recipe must be from a TV programme or magazine and I reckon I added it to my wee red notebook in the mid 1990s. As I'm just cooking for one I'm cheating though and using some bought bbq sauce rather than making it. I'll have it with roast veg.
Last edited by liketocook on Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:28 pm

I made an egg mayo for lunch and added a dollop of tarragon mustard. The combo was vile, so much so that I have felt awful all afternoon - not sick, but can't get rid of the taste. Odd, as I like them both separately.

Tonight, it's a using up the veg traybake, with Edwards of Conwy sausages and some chicken fillets. Onions, padron peppers, courgette, chestnut shrooms, whole cloves of garlic, topped with tomatoes and zaatar and sesame, with an extra bit of garlic for good measure. Come to think of it, hope I put enough garlic in there...

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:43 pm

Corn on the cob, picked from the raised bed and straight into the pot, for dinner. Served with butter. Yum.

Postby liketocook » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:34 pm

herbidacious wrote:Corn on the cob, picked from the raised bed and straight into the pot, for dinner. Served with butter. Yum.

Sounds marvellous. :yum
Last night's pineapple topped chicken was very tasty, one of these super simple assembly type recipes that taste much more than the sum of their parts. I had it with roasted potato and courgette chunks.
I've a bavette steak defrosting and a pack of big flat mushrooms so dinner tonight will be based around those.

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:29 pm

We ended up having lunch with a couple who share our names so always slightly comedy. It was at our new pub discovery. Imanaged to resist the pork belly and had delicious hake. I have made a broth from homemade stock, star anise, ginger, lemongrass and chili. I am about to chuck some veg and noodles into it. Smells amazing so I hope it’s nice…..

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:32 pm

OOh, Rocky, is that a local pub?

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 am

Yes KC2 - it is just over the border into Brentford. It is absolutely lovely. Independently owned and we have loved everything we have had there.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am

I feel a mini meet coming on..... ;) :clap

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 am

I did something I haven’t done in a long time last night

I’d picked out the biggest pork tenderloin in the shop, and I trimmed the ends to make 2 portions of stir fry strips which I froze. The remaining cylinder was then a 2 portion roast which I marinated in white wine, evoo, garlic and herbs, browned on the hob and finished in the oven. I had it with gravy made with the marinade, green beans, roast onions and far too many roasties :yum

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 am

Yesterday made plum jam. Lesson learned! Do not make jam at the weekend when family are likely to contact. Just as it was starting its rolling boil, two of 'em. In hindsight should've turned off. Reboiled today. Burnt it! :evil:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox