Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Well a post-lockdown meet including Rocky sounds like a plan! :D

Absolutely! :D

Yesterday's prawn & asparagus linguine was as good as ever. Had some nice duck eggs scrambled on toast for brunch and a joint of gammon for tea with more asparagus, our colly & leeks and pease pudding. Given the leftovers, Mrs B wants ham, egg & chips tomorrow. :D

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 03, 2021 7:59 am

Morning all. And thanks for the welcome home (except officially I am Irish - was born in Dublin but mum and dad moved abroad when I was six and I have been culturally British ever since!) Patsy - yes I have lived in London before but we moved to the Caribbean in 2003 so I know there will be some settling in. We have always lived West so have found a place to rent in Chiswick for six months whilst we take stock. It is very close to the river and has a wee garden for the mog.

Had a lovely lazy day yesterday. I roasted some red peppers and sausages and we had those in pitta for lunch. For dinner we decided to be a bit extravagant and had Thai delivered- tom yam soup, som tam salad and a green curry. Absolutely delicious. Leftovers of that for lunch today and dinner will be chilli assuming OH gets around to making it. The only other thing we have ingredients for is.... Thai green curry so might wait a day!

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
Well a post-lockdown meet including Rocky sounds like a plan! :D

Absolutely! :D

Yesterday's prawn & asparagus linguine was as good as ever. Had some nice duck eggs scrambled on toast for brunch and a joint of gammon for tea with more asparagus, our colly & leeks and pease pudding. Given the leftovers, Mrs B wants ham, egg & chips tomorrow. :D

I’ve just read this and I now want ham, egg and chips :)

Postby dennispc » Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 am

OH made this lovely Herbi Omlette last night - her first for a little while. :clap

Only a heathen like me would put tomato sauce on it!

omlette.jpg
omlette.jpg (170.49 KiB) Viewed 2625 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:53 am

What a splendid-looking omelette, dennispc, very tempting (apart from the tomato sauce, that is :lol: )

Last night we had delicious roast cauliflower with h-m rocket and basil pesto, followed by the end of a rather successful apple crumble that I made with a mixture of flour, fine cornmeal and oats. I will always use some cornmeal in future, it was lovely and light and a very pretty yellow colour.

Rocky, we lived in Grove Park, Chiswick for well over 20 years and moved up the river to Hammersmith about 10 years ago. Enjoy!

Are you at the Kew Bridge / Strand on the Green end or Chiswick Pier, near Dukes Meadows? Will virtually wave to you every time we cross Chiswick Bridge :wave :wave

Postby liketocook » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Lovely looking omelette dennispc but no ketchup for me though a splodge of Perinaise wouldn't go amiss :) .
Roast chicken, coleslaw, roast spuds, corn and salad for us yesterday. I made a basting butter for the chook that included sundried tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic which was really tasty. Plenty of chicken leftovers for lunches for a few days.
Bank holiday treat for us this evening of T-bone steaks with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion rings and no doubt my son will want a spud of some description.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm

At about 1.15pm, the wife suddenly said:
" Why don´t we invite A & C over for lunch"?
:shock: :shock:
So we did. Marinated bocconcini & sundried tomato bruschettas, fresh artichoke and pea risotto, and a new invention by the wife, a Banoffee Pavlova!
What a lovely afternoon, and such a change from being incarcerated here!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 pm

I’ve just read this and I now want ham, egg and chips

It's not something we have very often but more of a treat as a consequence. :D

As noted in the asparagus thread, I made buckwheat pancakes for lunch. Served two of them with asparagus & pecorino and the others with lemon curd. Never done them before but will definitely do them again. :thumbsup

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 pm

KeenCook2 - we are about 2 mins walk from Kew Bridge station and when we were briefly allowed out yesterday to post our COVID tests we used the Strand on the Green postbox. Lovely area. I’m looking forward to having a run when we escape. I love Hammers it’s - when we last lived in London we lived in Brook Green so not a million miles away.

The dinner plan has changed. OH’s mum put a homemade lasagne in our freezer so it’s that with salad and possibly a glass of red. I have two weeks before I start my new job so am trying to be a bit holidayish.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 03, 2021 9:36 pm

Made a quorn lasagna at work today ... am on a 168 hour shift , send me good vibes people . I don’t mind quorn mince especially if it’s “in things” and for whatever reason my cheese sauce was especially good today .

Lunch was at comptoir libinais and had a nice salad of chicken , feta , pita crisps and far too much salad leaves

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Amyw wrote:Made a quorn lasagna at work today ... am on a 168 hour shift , send me good vibes people

Good vibes definitely winging their way over to you :newhuggy :newhuggy Hopefully no covid quarantine this time :crossed

Supper today was a slightly odd warm "salad" with the stripped chicken from Friday's delicious Alison Roman slow cooked chicken with all the left over bits of roasted tomatoes, fennel seeds, oregano etc with some potatoes and parsley. Surprisingly moreish!

Postby Pampy » Mon May 03, 2021 11:42 pm

By the 'eck, Amy - you don't half get some intense shifts! I hope that your employer appreciates just what you and your colleagues do

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 am

dennispc wrote:OH made this lovely Herbi Omlette last night - her first for a little while. :clap

But such a restrained amount! Mr Zero loves copious ketchup on his chips/fries :D

Blackened Mahi mahi and braised asparagus last night. Boquerones with alioli the night before. Been very fishy lately.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 8:21 am

Good God.
That looks amazing, Zero. What's on the top of the mahi mahi, please?

You're right about your new marble top. It's a gift for your photos!

Postby Pampy » Tue May 04, 2021 11:25 am

dennispc wrote:OH made this lovely Herbi Omlette last night - her first for a little while. :clap

The omelette looks lovely - hope Herbi didn't mind :lol: :lol:

Postby liketocook » Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am

That mahi mahi looks wonderful Zero Cook :yum
Plans for t-bones went awry yesterday so we are having them tonight instead. Yesterday's evening meal ended up a soupy/stew type chicken, veg and rice one pan bung it in. Very tasty it was too with leftovers for lunch today.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm

Everyone's having lovely things again.
Gill, I think the blackened Mahi is on top of white rice. It does look nice.

I too have been eating the remains of a chicken for a few days. I made lovely bone stock overnight and will be having a lovely soup with chicken, veg and zero noodles tonight.

I like the sound of your Alison Roman recipe KC2. I go for anything with fennel seeds!

Good luck with your run of shifts Amy. My, you were restrained at Comptoir Libinais! I think Quorn mince is alright with strong flavours added, I'm just not keen on the flavours they often add to it

Postby Pampy » Tue May 04, 2021 2:08 pm

ZC - the fish looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Is it done with a Cajun blackened seasoning?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm

Great to hear from you Rocky! Hope you settle in quickly, it’s great to see you posting again.

ZC that looks so good! Your photos remind me of Donna Hay recipes or those from Karen Mordechai (Sunday Suppers)... i.e. delicious!

We are cooking from Diana Henry’s From the oven to the table book this week...
- chicken with feta cheese, dill, lemon and harissa yoghurt
- roast salmon with lemon, green beans, cornichons and mustard crumbs
- lamb with herb butter, asparagus, new potatoes and peas
- cod with chorizo, tomatoes, olives and sherry

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I like the sound of your Alison Roman recipe KC2. I go for anything with fennel seeds!

Me, too! This is a link if you're interested ... https://eyeforarecipe.ca/?p=3372

As ever on this delicious thread, lovely food, lovely menus!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox