Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Sounds like a lovely evening KC2, your nibbles look scrumptious :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:49 pm

Everyone's food over the past few days sounds lovely. Those look lovely, KC2.Isn't it heaven to be doing some civilised things at last!

Easy stuff here over a busy few days. A prawn and hot smoked salmon salad with GD on Thurs (she left most of her salmon so I froze it and it will make a nice lunch sometime soon!). A rather nice red onion and Brie tart with chips (oh yum, they've off limits usually for me nowadays!) and salad in a pub on Friday and bacon, egg and mushrooms when I got in from a long day yesterday. I only eat bacon once in a blue moon so it was quite nice.

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Sounds good EM, I love mushrooms, bacon and egg. :yum

I had forgotten what a pain boning turkey drumsticks is, all these fiddly hard tendons to remove. Never mind they're stuffed and in the oven now. :) Not the neat, wee cushion I'd aimed for but hopefully they won't leak or explode! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:06 pm

Yesterday I got some fresh broad beans, they are huge, but cooked slowly in olive oil and a drop of water with spring onions then finished with the outside of a cos lettuce (should have been chard, but none around) and dill delicious
I had a big portion with pasta and Parmesan

Today I had a smaller portion with steam new pots, carrots, and broccoli. I thought I’d bought tenderstem, that’s the shape of the spears, but it’s purple sprouting, yum

I also had a lamb chop :woohoo: which tasted absolutely normal.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:51 pm

That's really good news, Sue! :bounce: :bounce:

ETA, and it sounds delicious :yum

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:55 am

Great newsSue. Gorgeous looking nibbles KC2. I’ve never deboned a turkey leg before LTC but I love the haggis stuffing idea. EM - we had beacon, egg and mushrooms yesterday before we leftWales - delicious!

We’ve eaten well this weekend. We arrived in at the cottage at about 7 to be offered martinis and asparagus with hollandaise (give it’s a very basic setup HM hollandaise was very impressive), then gorgeous barbecued lamb with tiny potatoes and tender stem broccoli - also done on the barbecue. All delicious. Then a fruit salad but everyone fancied something chocolate so I got the brownies out.

On Saturday we headed off for our slightly epic walk in the rain. It stopped long enough for us to have our picnic of scotch egg pasties and/or cheese and onion ones. Brownies and an apple. The pasties were actually really good. That evening we had 6 different types of sausages with mash and green beans.

Yesterday,the aforementioned bacon, eggs and mushrooms. It was our anniversary yesterday and we had bought nice steaks to have but after the meat fest of the weekend we decided to postpone them to this evening and had a Vietnamese takeaway - a veggie curry, some prawn noodles and a really tasty salad.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am

It all sounds extremely good, Rocky! So glad the pasties were a success.

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:20 am

Yesterday's Barnsley chops from the farm butcher were delicious. I'd also bought a couple of lamb's kidneys to go with them (I love kidney, OH not so keen) ... I made a small Toad in the Hole with them and OH had the crispy edges and I had the soft middle with the kidneys ... alongside new Maris Peers (I think) and runner beans from the garden, gravy and mint sauce. Followed by strawberries and local vanilla ice cream. Totally fab :yum :yum :yum

Today's supper will be a veg frittata ... we have eggs and courgettes to use up before we go away ...

and on investigation of the garage fridge I've found that I need to use up a large mushroom (almost teaplate size) ... we have some local goat's cheese ... that looks like my lunch for today sorted :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Everyone's food sounds absolutely delicious. :yum

The haggis stuffed turkey parcel ended up working well and didn't burst or leak though it was a tad lopsided. The drumstick meat was beautifully tender and the haggis stopped it from drying out. It made a nice change from my usual chicken version.

IMG_20210808_204012[11504].jpg
IMG_20210808_204012[11504].jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 pm

IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG (70.02 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

it seems like it was mushroom and bacon day, yesterday!
our dinner consisted of mushrooms stuffed with fake bacon and cheddar with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and black pepper, fried halloumi, potato salad and mixed salad.
followed by a scone, jam and cream.
i think i ate too much.
i think i'll be eating very little today.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:42 pm

That looks delicious scully :yum

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:13 pm

That's made me want to eat halloumi!

We only had one of the ribeyes last night as they were huge but it was absolutely delicious. We had it with baby potatoes that I parboiled and then slightly crushed and roasted in the over, roasted cherry toms and broccoli. Really good.

Tonight is linguine of some sort that OH is making,

Lunch is a salad from home that has egg mayo in it so may have to go outside to eat that!

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 pm

Sounds good Rocky :yum
I'm home alone tonight and dinner will be a mish mash of lurking fridge bits piled on top a naan bread and baked. I was going to make some pesto this afternoon to have with pasta but didn't get that far.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 pm

More good cooking :D

You're on fire KC2! Great nibbles and that tomato tart looks excellent - btw I used his - erm Dan Lepard's :lol: - pastry recipe with tweaks for a quiche I made yesterday. Works great.

Prawn and smoked salmon salad sounds lovely EM and she didn't for for the salmon? More for you! 8-)

One word LTC: yummm! Worth that deboning I'd say. Fabulous.

Good looking plate of, Scullion. Delish.

Great looking pasties Suffs and you inadvertently discovered DL's pastry secret!

I made the Anna Jones radicchio pasta posted by Kacey - love radicchio, so I got some for the dish. Used cassarecce for pasta. The pesto was ok, found the added honey too sweet in the radicchio dressing so added more plain balsamic and garlic, and used zapped fermented red chili garlic sauce - it needed a good amount imo. Topped with Asiago. Good dish but lacking something to carry the raddichio and dressing I felt. Had it like that first night and then the following day with torn bits of leftover seared tuna for lunch which improved it a lot - needed something 'meaty' I felt. Crispy seasoned/sizzled tofu or tempeh would work really well too, imo.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:41 am

Delicious food, everyone.

Looks beautiful, Zero.
Shame it didn't quite hit the spot, but sometimes when you make something twice, you enjoy the experience better.
As you did for lunch.

Firepit weather today. I'll have to make it worthwhile and make something for 2 days ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:39 am

Perhaps the tofu, ZC as it's supposed to be veggie! Sounds good.

Enjoy the fire pit food Gill!

I made a beef casserole last night. Hadn't had one for ages and it was delicious. Had it with broccoli, carrots and some mixed grains.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Firepit food for two days sounds perfect, Gill. A production, but always worth the results. Do you use charcoal or wood?

I stashed several small pork sparerib racks in the freezer in early July when they were on sale for a silly price. I'm one of those bargain price freezer stashers.

Your beef casserole ensemble sounds super, EM - surprising how good the favourites can be especially when they haven't been made in a long time. Love mixed grains.

Tofu would be very good. I might have another go for lunch in the next few days as I did get another radicchio - hadn't had it for a long time of late, speaking of which. Just a tweak on the basic, tho, possibly without the green pesto in the pasta. There's an amazing dish in there somewhere :D

And happy anniversary RockyBVI - classic meal there!

Postby liketocook » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:34 pm

:yum all sounding good.
I would have said earlier that it was definitely beef casserole weather but it's turned into a sunny(ish) evening.
Salmon, broccoli, Ayrshire tatties and roast peppers for us this evening.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:37 pm

As FB friends know I’m up London parts for a few days . Went to Honest Burgers for dinner and had their special with hot sauce , jalapeños and guacamole . Sounds vile , tasted amazing . Their rosemary salted fries were very good too

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Hope you're having a lovely time Amy. There is an Honest Burger on my walk from waterloo to work and I've wondered what it is like - o good to know. Rosemary salted fries have always sounded appealing!

We are completely mother hubbard here. OH is out at the cricket and likely to have a curry afterwards and I am totally uninspired as to what to eat. We have sausages to use up. I might go for toad in the hole if I can make myself go out to buy what's needed to make it.....

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox