Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am

You seem to be expanding your repertoire quite a bit lately Gruney! Very nice too.

We had venison steaks last night. F. had bought them on offer some time ago. My favourite meat and it was delicious. We just had assorted veg and gravy from the pan with it. Crumble with rhubarb from the garden afterwards. Very good.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 am

Earthmaiden wrote:You seem to be expanding your repertoire quite a bit lately Gruney! Very nice too.

I've always been on the lookout for those types of dishes, EM, I just didn't think anyone would be interested in my rather "humbler" offerings.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 am

That sounds amazing Rocky :yum
I love venison EM but DS2 isn't fan so the stash I have in my freezer remains untouched.
I wouldn't call humbler Gruney, I'm a big fan of simple ingredients that aren't faffed about with too much. :thumbsup :)
We are thinking of going out for lunch so any cooking later will be minimal.

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am

We made fish soup yesterday. Well, it is a vegetable soup with fish in it.
Carrots, celeriac, leeks and fennel, cod and lots of dill and parsley and a generous slosh of white wine. It came out well and we will have it again today.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Tigerella tomato (freshly picked) bruschette. A few peas and a few raspberries and loganberries all eaten striaght off the plants.

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 pm

Saturday we had a smallish seasoned chicken which we roasted and ate with some beautiful new potatoes, no idea on variety but they were in the veg box, and I had a quarter of cabbage that needed using so that was stir fried with some red onion and fennel seeds.
We had the rest of the chicken last night with a Caesar salad.

I liked the sound of the Nigel Slater recipe for pork and lemon meatballs that OMCO mentioned last week, so that’s what we’ve got for tonight.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:42 pm

Hope you enjoy them wolfgirl!

Recently we have cooked a sausage and potato pie served with leeks and greens. Crispy skinned salmon and king prawns with garlic, chilli and basil, served with rice. Lots of pizzas with family around for the football. Also a Thai baked seabass in a bag with lots of lemongrass, ginger, chilli, lime etc served with glass noodles and loads of fresh herbs.

I think tomorrow night we will have lamb shank rogan josh if I have time to get it started early enough.

Our outdoor oven is finished and I bought a couple of wood fired oven cookbooks for inspiration and advice. I’m off to bed to have a read!

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:24 am

Happy reading OMCO :)

Wraps stuffed homemade refried beans, homemade salsa, mashed avocado, sour cream and cheese for us tonight.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Indian spiced lamb steaks, with peppery leaves & paneer salad, raita, curry sauce, rice and naan for us this evening. It's based on Jamie Oliver's Indian spiced beef steaks from his 30 minute meals book.

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Really enjoyed the meatballs, OMCO. Next time I think I’ll make them half the size so they’re easier to eat with pasta, and will probably make a bit more sauce. Delicious though.

I really need to do a supermarket shop so tonight I think I have just about enough stuff to make a feta, red onion and broad bean frittata.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:32 pm

A gutsy chorizo/judion tomato sauce here with plenty of chilli/garlic/capers etc. which cod fillets will atop.

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Dead simple here, tonight - but oh so tasty. Simply pasta, with a sauce, comprising anchovies, capers and a tin of tomatoes. It doesn't sound too propitious, I know, but it doesn't half hit the spot. Grated parmesan on top, but it doesn't suffer if you don't have any to hand.

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:15 am

I might give those meatballs a try! We had Thai red curry vegetables and noodles with a salmon fillet on top. It was good. Tonight I’m having smoked haddock..l. With something!

Postby liketocook » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Lots of delicious sounding meals being made :yum
I was pleased with the Indian spiced lamb steaks we had yesterday a tweak on a JO beef recipe. With the separate sauce and salad bed it felt much more summery than my usual lamb jalfrezi with all the flavours. The paneer quickly browned in the pan the meat had been cooked in was a lovely addition.
IMG_20210714_205546[11325].jpg
IMG_20210714_205546[11325].jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

Another JO for us tonight - bacon, mushroom & pea pasta using tiny soup pasta. The recipe is from the Ministry of Food book.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:42 pm

I just had gazpacho with chopped hard boiled egg. Visually... it reminded my of my mother's 1960s cook books, but gustatorily (!)... it was delicious. The soup was made yesterday using roasted tomato passata from last year's crop.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:58 pm

I had a rummage around in the freezer last week, finding unsuspected goosegogs and raspberries. A batch of Benares gooseberry pickle plus six jars of raspberry jam so far. This season's raspberries have just started, we've had a few bowls with yogurt & honey and I made a couple of dozen raspberry friands yesterday. Pork chilli verde tonight - another bag of tomatillos turned up. :D

There were also some small tubs of roasted toms, they might well be liquidised and used in a youvetsi for the weekend.

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:55 pm

I’ve just made some Blackcurrant Jelly. The bushes weren’t as prolific this year, so I only have 4 jars, but it tastes delicious.

Getting the right setting point has always been a bugbear for me. Even with a thermometer and cold plates I've often overdone it a bit, just to be on the safe side, but this morning I found an article that said that the famous 105°C is actually too high. 102° - 103° is about right. It certainly worked for me today. Once it hit 102° it was wrinkling on the cold plate.

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:59 pm

And another thing I saw whist trawling the internet for blackcurrant jelly recipes this morning, a recipe for raspberry gin. I make Damson Gin and Sloe Gin, but have never attempted it with raspberries. I have a big box of last year's Golden Raspberries in the freezer, has anyone ever attempted making gin with frozen fruit? Does it work? I can’t see why it shouldn’t, but any advice would be welcome.

Postby oat » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:34 pm

I always make my sloe gin with frozen sloes, the skins burst from freezing and don't need any pricking. :clap

Postby liketocook » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:24 pm

Wic wrote:And another thing I saw whist trawling the internet for blackcurrant jelly recipes this morning, a recipe for raspberry gin. I make Damson Gin and Sloe Gin, but have never attempted it with raspberries. I have a big box of last year's Golden Raspberries in the freezer, has anyone ever attempted making gin with frozen fruit? Does it work? I can’t see why it shouldn’t, but any advice would be welcome.

Yes I've made bramble gin & vodka, strawberry vodka and cherry brandy all using frozen fruit. It works very well. Golden rasberry gin sounds gorgeous. :cocktail:
I like the sound of your gazpacho herbi, shame I've pretty much finished last years frozen passata. :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox