Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 am

Badger's Mate wrote:Rocky - where did you walk and where did you eat? There are some nice places up there and we visit a fair bit.

We did Hunstanton to Brancaster Staithe, where we had lunch at a pub called the Jolly ‘something’ and then back to Brancaster. We were staying at the Ship in Brancaster. And then did Brancaster Staither to Burnham yesterday to complete the stage. We really loved it. The intention is to do the whole thing over a number of weekends.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm

On Saturday, we managed our Christmas dinner on the caravan, with the help of our trusty halogen oven. I cheated and bought ready peeled pots for roasties, prepped cauli, a pot of gravy and stuffing from Tesco. Chicken crown and roast parsnips completed it with a sachet of bread sauce (very gloopy) but it was all so good.
Finished off with individual Xmas puds and cream.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Jolly ‘something’

It's the Jolly Sailors. The White horse is nice too, opposite the Fish Shed.

There are a lot of Burnhams. The Jolly Sailors used to be run by the family that owned the farm at Burnham Deepdale, don't know if it still is. We have stayed at Burnham Overy Staithe in the past, the pub there used to be a bit tatty but like a lot of them around there has gone from spit & sawdust to Farrow & Ball...

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:26 pm

Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious SG :yum
Last night I had some venison & pork mince ragu that I cooked on Sunday with spaghetti. It was very tasty. Lots of ragu left to portion up for the freezer. Tonight it's dal from the freezer with spinach, fried egg and pitta bread.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Palak paneer for us tonight, with rice and a dhal if I can be bothered.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm

Hah!
Just discovered a tub of chana masala in the freezer.

That will do.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:31 pm

A friend came for lunch today.

We had Ottolenghi's Butternut squash and tahini dip; New Covent Garden recipe for Parsnip, Apple and Cider soup (no cider, so bunged in an extra apple and a tsp of apple cider vinegar); and Nadiya's Dump Cake https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cher ... dump_06886

All very successful :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 pm

Chicken soup with vegetables and cubes of Eierstich (savoury custard) for tonight and tomorrow night.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:33 pm

Sounds delicious KC2. We had roast chicken with roasties, cauliflower cheese and broccoli last night. Tonight I’ve made a new thing (must update that thread. A salmon and sag aloo traybake. Delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am

Last night wash mushroom carbonara, tonight roast cauliflower, jacket spud, peas and a couple of sausages

Don’t think I’ve made proper mushroom carbonara before, pleased I checked a recipe, left to my own devices I’d have used fewer mushrooms and sautéed them less, and I would have been wrong

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:41 pm

All sounding good folks :yum
Yesterday I took a portion of chicken breast and a small tub of boiled rice out of the freezer to defrost intending to make fried rice tonight which I've decided I don't fancy. Instead I'm going to have chicken & mushrooms in a white sauce with green beans and rice.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Roast cauliflower tonight with some coriander and rocket pesto I made this afternoon. It seems to have come out rather too garlicky - I honestly didn't think that would ever be possible, but I guess they were very strong cloves! I added a load of parsley to it, which calmed it down a bit, may mix in some Greek yogurt or something like that.
Any other ideas?
Lemon? Lime?

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh no KC2 too much of a good thing....
I'm not sure lemon or lime might help, I think they sometimes enhance garlic rather than subdue it. (Might just be me though).
Something bland like yoghurt should help or a bit more oil or some juices from the roasting tin. Depending on what you've roasted the cauli with it might not be as strong when mixed with the veg. Some bread crumbs added to the pesto would probably help as well.

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:49 am

The cauliflower cheese for yesterday's supper was remarkably good if I say so myself ... perfect with a couple of fluffy buttery jacket potatoes.

Today I'm making a big pot of ragu Bolognese as tonight's supper is spag Bol and then on Saturday I'll use the second half of the ragu to make lasagne for supper.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:19 pm

We mixed some more EVOO with the pesto in a separate little bowl, and it was fine :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Glad you managed to tone it down a bit KC2. :thumbsup
If your cauli cheese tasted half as good as looked suffs :yum
Freezer rake for me this evening, I was supposed to be at meeting but that's been postponed. I'd planned just to have some soup when I got back and that might still be an option.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm

I made a corned beef hash last night and added a sachet of lentils and grains. Enough for supper and a gppd portion left over to freeze for me while he's in hospital.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 pm

I made the faux gras discussed on another thread, I stuck more closely to David Leibovitz' recipe than the others but instead of cognac + lemon juice + sugar I just used a slosh of manzanilla sherry, which worked well, I used all olive oil no butter

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras ... te-recipe/

It is really nice, I overcooked the lentils a tad, so should have let them drain a bit more thoroughly, it's slightly softer than I'd have ideally liked
You could definitely serve this in place of any other smooth pâté to any combination of vegans/omnivores, and might have to reassure that it's actually vegan but I don't think anyone would mistake it for le veritable foie gras de canard ou d'oie - apart from anything else it lacks the faint bitterness all liver has, which the sherry is good for

Not been doing much else of interest, did roast a cauliflower so I have leftovers to use up with a pork steak tonight

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:58 pm

It really is a very good pate Sue, as I said elsewhere I've made a good few times for various "gatherings" both veggie & non-veggie versions. I've found the version with butter is definitely firmer than the just EVOO one which you would expect . The last couple of times I didn't bother making chicken liver pate for meat eaters and nobody complained. Yes "faux-gras" is stretching it a bit but it's very decent in it's own right. I've noted your use of sherry rather than cognac + lemon + sugar thanks. :)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am

Lovely sounding stuff. Sloe, my OH would be very happy with that corned beef hash!

I made a really lovely chicken dish the other evening. To be honest I could never repeat it exactly as I made it up as I went along :? But it was chicken pieces roasted/browned and then braised with some French red wine, bouquet garni, stock, various aromatics, shallots, peppers and mushrooms. We served it with some lentils which had been flavoured with tomato, garlic, thyme (I think!).

Last night we had cod loin wrapped in bacon served with lemon potatoes and green beans.

Tonight we need to use up some bits from the fridge before the weekend shop. Feta, passata, tomatoes, red onions will feature somehow.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox