Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Thu May 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Thanks for that.
I'll add it to my cooking for my family visit repertoire this weekend coming.

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 22, 2021 6:34 am

KDKA, I've never used a tortilla press, tho back in the day an ex - very good cook btw - actually made one (from wood) when none could be had in London, nor masa harina or anything like that. He also made fantastic Japanese food - first person I ever knew who made it at home. I've made corn tortillas just to try making them at home and it's pretty simple. I'd buy them given the choice.

As mentioned before - on the LatAm thread i think, CoolChile sells quite a bit of really good Mex ingredients and food online and also in select wholefood/natural food typeshops around London , including their corn tortillas - blue and regular white corn in bakers dozens - which are great and quite probably the best corn tortillas you can buy outside Mexico (not that I've been there). I'm a big fan. You may be able to find them as well as their masa harina in Bristol, Gill.

As it happens, supper was pork carne asada tacos (using a riff on chochinita pibil) with the fixings, pickled Yucatan onion, yellow rice, and guac and blue corn tortilla chips.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 22, 2021 8:19 am

I'll look out for the blue ones especially, Zero.
What an amazing meal too. Not to mention colourful.

Asparagus here is still on the menu.
Seared salmon with a parsley and lemon sauce = easy cooking if you do the sauce in advance. I find a dash of single cream in there is better than double, which sometimes is too much for a flour sauce.

We're going out tonight to a local bistro.
Bus there, taxi back ;)

Postby liketocook » Sat May 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Enjoy dinner out Gil.
Yesterday I ended up bunging together a tray bake - chicken thighs, potato wedges and peppers stuffed with onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes. A drizzle of oil, salt & pepper and a good sprinkle of oregano and it cooked away while I enjoyed a glass of wine. :wino
Cajun spiced turkey and bacon burgers with blue cheese, avocado sauce, corn cob and chips for dinner this evening.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 22, 2021 4:35 pm

Bon appetit for tonight Gill. Your seared salmon plate looks great. Righr up my alley. And you're right about easy seared suppers. Note to self : must do more asparagus. What is your parsley lemon sauce or did you post that a while back? Looking for sauce ideas :D

Your tray bake sounds v good ltc. Ditto your spiced turkey and bacon burgers. Do you make them from scratch or are they bought like that? I heart blue cheese on burgers :D

Speaking of searing and easy, tonight is seared mahi mahi steaks with some sort of sauce - possibly tartare - and a salad. Ive been getting into variations on Remajon (Andalusian orange salad) and Greek watermelon and feta salads.

edited to remove junk
Last edited by ZeroCook on Sat May 22, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby liketocook » Sat May 22, 2021 5:17 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Your tray bake sounds v good ltc. Ditto your spiced turkey and bacon burgers. Do you make them from scratch or are they bought like that? I heart blue cheese on burgers :D

Bought Cajun spice but otherwise made from scratch. For two burgers I've used 200g minced turkey breast, 2 rashers minced smoked streaky bacon, 2 tsp Cajun spice and 1 tsp tomato ketchup.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 pm

I have had a bash at this cheese and potato pie
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ic-recipes

Except
- I don't have a swiss roll tin so I used a shallowish pyrex dish
- I used the cheese I had in, which was cheddar and blue stilton

It looks good, will report back once consumed.

The recipe has a glitch.
2 x 30 min cooks do not equal 1hr 20 mins. :?

Postby liketocook » Sat May 22, 2021 5:43 pm

I'll look forward to your feedback WW as it's on my "to make " list.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Btw, the fancy sounding tacos were just a leftover chop, braised then pulled apart, mixed with a tablespoon of pibil type asada marinade and sizzled.

That potato 'pie' looks good WW - like a version of borek.

Postby Amyw » Sat May 22, 2021 8:41 pm

liketocook wrote:Enjoy dinner out Gil.
Yesterday I ended up bunging together a tray bake - chicken thighs, potato wedges and peppers stuffed with onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes. A drizzle of oil, salt & pepper and a good sprinkle of oregano and it cooked away while I enjoyed a glass of wine. :wino
Cajun spiced turkey and bacon burgers with blue cheese, avocado sauce, corn cob and chips for dinner this evening.

Love both of these ideas . Can’t beat a traybake for an easy no fuss dinner , the juices are amazing as well usually

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 22, 2021 10:53 pm

I made Ching’s Teriyaki Tempeh with Broccoli from Asian Green

Good, but I thought there might be too much sauce, and there was, and slightly too sweet for me. Next time I’d make a bit less and/or thicken it rather than reducing it

Still a good way of making a meal out of tempeh

Postby liketocook » Sun May 23, 2021 11:58 am

Sounds interesting Sue though I'm unsure if I would like the texture of tempeh. Unless you head to Glasgow it's not something you can buy locally and I've never tried it.
I'm off out for dinner at the local pub this evening with my son, sister and nephew. First outing in 6+ months and I'm really looking forward to it.
Burger last night worked well - not pretty to look at, messy to eat and far from healthy but my word it was delicious. :yum We ended up with tinned corn as the corn cob was looking a bit manky and got binned.
IMG_20210522_205002[10380].jpg

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Too many things going on yesterday because the gardener came and, if I don´t watch him, he´d carve up the hedges!!
So 2pm and I still had to make a Sunflower Cheesecake for a lunch today.
Looked in the fridge, pulled out an aubergine, a pepper, a couple of tomatoes, an onion, rosemary, thyme and a good hefty tsp of Spanish paprika. Made a sort of ratatouille thing and at the last minute, threw in half a packet of cashews. Topped with scalloped potatoes and parmesan and popped it in the oven for 45 minutes.
Gave me time to do all the prep for the cheesecake.

Postby Amyw » Sun May 23, 2021 7:47 pm

Did three workouts back to back today so felt I earned a decent tea . Two of M&S skinny burgers , which although small are v nice , salad , corn on the cob , halloumi , a few “home cooked” chips and a stuffed mushroom from Tesco’s . Shame it couldn’t have been cooked on the barbecue !!

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Local eggs scrambled with freshly foraged wild garlic leaves for lunch :) There are acres of wild garlic...

Postby liketocook » Mon May 24, 2021 11:44 am

Lovely looking burger meal Amy :yum

Lucky you being able to forage herbi. :)

I was out for dinner yesterday evening at a local pub. It's a "chips with everything" type of place but what they do they do very well. I had strips of very tender rump steak with mushrooms and onions in a creamy peppercorn sauce with rather glorious chunky chips.

Revisiting an old family favourite today - Ainsley Harriott's "Ginger chicken with coconut rice". It must be 10 years or more since I last cooked it, I hope it's as good as I remember.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 pm

I thought I’d been posting but clearly not.... Last night OH made a caramelised beef mince dish with lots lots of ginger, kecap manis etc. I made fried rice and gingery broccoli to go with it.

Today whilst I was at work, he made caponata using an Italian friend’s recipe. It was meant to be for later in the week, but it looked so good, I flattened some chicken breasts and sprinkled them with breadcrumbs and we had those with the caponata.. absolutely amazing.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 25, 2021 9:26 am

Mostly leftovers this week. We had people round last week; fish pie one day, poached chicken another. It has therefore been cold chicken and chips, fish pie, chicken fajitas and inspired by this economy a shepherd's pie from the freezer. Last night was the first time in a while I'd cooked something from scratch, the weekly prawn & asparagus linguini. It's all cooked from scratch, but you know what I mean.

I noticed online that Sainsbury hadn't got English asparagus, just grass that might or might not be. We're up to Cambridge tomorrow, it won't be a problem, but maybe the late season is drawing to a close.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 25, 2021 9:36 am

I went to buy asparagus in Waitrose last week and they seemed to have asparagus from all over the world. Quite a collection to choose from and displayed in a muddled way. I wondered how many people only realised they'd bought some from the far side of the globe when they got home.

Lovely food you're all having. As I was away all weekend and busy yesterday I used up last week's cooked mince from the freezer with sauteed veg and the thawed remains of Waitrose Freekah which I bought to try last week and froze half the pack. Rather good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 25, 2021 11:20 am

Earthmaiden wrote:went to buy asparagus in Waitrose last week and they seemed to have asparagus from all over the world. Quite a collection to choose from and displayed in a muddled way. I wondered how many people only realised they'd bought some from the far side of the globe when they got home.

Morrison’s had asparagus on offer, which I just assumed on 20 May would be British, was very disappointed when I got it home and read the wrapper as I removed it; in rather faint type it said Peru. I should have realised that the British stuff is usually festooned with Union flags :twisted:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox