Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I would guess whether you detect the sumac or not would depend on the molasses, this one (Marigold) is a bit sharp, I think it would be more noticeable with the more aromatic Lebanese pomegranate molasses
Agree it needs a bit more spice to cut through the garlic and molasses

Ours is the Odysea brand made in Turkey and is quite sweet, though it's first one I've bought so can't compare to others.
Despite the lack of spice I did enjoy the dish, just a case of tweaking the marinade now to get the flavours balance I want.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 09, 2021 1:49 pm

RockyBVI wrote:We had lunch out yesterday. I wasn’t all that hungry so had a starter portion of hot smoked salmon and prawn cocktail with sourdough. It was delicious. Dinner was a shared ribeye steak with leek and bacon risotto and tender stem broccoli For some reason OH loves risotto as a side with steak. Lunch will be halloumi, olives, feta and salad and I’ll see what OH wants for dinner. Maybe fish pie as I bought some smoked haddock yesterday.

You have no idea how exciting (and cheap) UK supermarkets are. OH and I must have looked like we’d been beamed in from another planet in the shop yesterday!

Where did you go, Rocky? And which supermarket was it that wowed you?! Was it the Chiswick Sainsbury's?

Definitely going to try that chicken dish, our pomegranate molasses is the Lebanes Cortas brand.

Parsnip and apple soup for lunch with a lot of rosemary :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 09, 2021 8:42 pm

J cooked tonight.
Lamb saag, dhal, chapattis and rice
Delicious.

Early night for us, I have to be out for 0610 tomorrow, 0645 for J.
Earlier than normal for me as gypsies have set up camp at the park & ride so I have to travel in from elsewhere :evil:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 09, 2021 11:51 pm

I made asparagus risotto and had it with a little salmon fillet

I bought 500 g of asparagus early in the week, and had several l portions, I saved all the tough ends and made a strong stock for the risotto, and also used the last few spears
Very full, might have made rather a large portion

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 am

KeenCook2 - yes, it was the Chiswick Sainsburys. It was almost sensory overload! We have had a couple of lunches out - one at The Bell and Crown on Strand on the Green and one at the Greyhound just across the bridge. We are loving the area - I had a fantastic run down to Richmond Lock along the Thames Path - it was like being in the countryside!

We enjoyed our ‘bits’ lunch so much yesterday that we had more for dinner along with some pea and ham soup. I think dinner this evening is going to centre around cauliflower cheese to use some milk up.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am

Yes, Rocky, I remember when it was built and attracted shoppers from all over W London! I believe it used to have the dubious honour of being the most profitable Sainsbury's per sq ft of space in the land! I don't know if that's still the case, but it certainly has a very wide choice of products.

DS2 used to work at the Bell & Crown, and one of the highlights was the staff meal! He always hoped to get the appropriate shifts :lol:

We've never been to the Greyhound.

The butcher on Strand on the Green always had a very good reputation, I don't know if it's still there.

I'm glad you're enjoying the area :thumbsup There's also a Sunday "Farmers' Market" at Dukes Meadows - which, in our opinion, was very patchy, but we moved from Chiswick in 2012 so it might well have changed in the meantime.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 10, 2021 11:47 am

Sounds lovely Rocky,
I remember when I moved to London in 1986, I lived just a couple of bus stops away from a massive Sainsbury's at Vauxhall. I had never seen anything like it in my life!
Pasta with a spinach, broccoli and pesto sauce for dinner this evening.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm

The Greyhouse was one of our locals, although we lived up/ opposite the Liongate entrance to Kew Gardens.
The windows are fabulous. I presume it's now more modern than in our day.

We've been marshalling for a triathlon this weekend, so feeling a bit pooped.
Easy cooking for me, I'll have waffles with poached egg. Tony just wants cheese on toast.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Good cooking all going on.

Waffles n poached eggs and cheese on toast sounds great to me, Gill. Must dig out the waffle maker sometime - not sure where it is :D

We had a breakfast supper last night - eggs, bacon, and crispy potato latkes.

Shame about the Chicken Kedjenou WW. The lamb saag and chapatis sounds right up my alley.

What's the pomegranate and sumac chicken?

Was going to ask for the parsley anchovy pesto KC2 but see it was a link posted on foodies in the news. Will def do that one. I blitz a basic flat parsley evoo base that I always have in the freezer that I add other things to for parsley pestos.

Had Alaskan wild sockeye salmon yet again the other day. Just love it. It comes in vac frozen smallish whole 600-800g sides which are great to throw into the freezer. Leftover salmon went into California rolls with salmon next day and last of salmon went on salmon sandwiches on 9 grain wholewheat bread with wafer thin sliced tomatoes, cucumber and harissa mayo.

Have a block of extra firm tofu to use. Thinking Agadashi perhaps, or Asian soup with tofu and maybe a few prawns thrown in. Or even Tom Yum Goong with tofu .... haven't had that in an age.

This was Fuchsia Dunlop's Gong Bao Ji Ding two nights ago. A regular favourite. I wanted to make her Fragrant Fish-Fried Chicken or Gently Vinegared Chicken but Mr0 requested the Gong Bao.

Postby dennispc » Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 am

Mushroom Omelette without tomato ketchup! :D Sunday's tea.

mushroom omlette.jpg
mushroom omlette.jpg (182.18 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

Last week turned some veg stock from the freezer into quite a delicious mushroom soup, plus ciabatta from Sainsbury's. Currently their ciabatta are large enough for us to share half between us. The rest goes in the freezer.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 am

That looks really good, Dennis - I like my omelettes with a bit of colour on them, can't stand them underdone.

I couldn't be bothered to cook last night so had some home made mushroom soup from the freezer which I'd made to a new recipe - it had great depth of flavour and was very filling.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 11, 2021 8:39 am

I never say no to an omelette, Dennis.
Lovely with mushrooms. Nice one.

Talking of gong bao, that's a fine dish, Zero.
It looks amazing.
I'm going to make this next time Tony wants something different to me. http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/

Postby dennispc » Tue May 11, 2021 11:08 am

Sorry, didn’t make it clear. Oh is king of the omelette pan. I've watched her a few times but still can’t get the knack.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 11, 2021 11:23 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

What's the pomegranate and sumac chicken?

It's from this article in the Guardian ZeroCook https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... and-cyprus

Cajun spice salmon and roast veg for us tonight.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Derbyshire oatcakes with a lightly fried egg, extra mature grated cheddar and some vegan pastrami. A kind of Derbyshire meets Normandy oatcake Complète. With hindsight, it would have been better to have had either egg or cheese, and not both...

Not sure how well known they are to people, but Derbyshire oatcakes are a bit like pancake-sized thin pikelets, I suppose. They contain oatmeal and yeast and have little crumpety holes in them.

Postby Kacey » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

Oh Herbi, I love oatcakes and pyclets. The pyclets I can buy locally from here http://www.pycletparlour.co.uk/pyclet-history.html but oddly in the city centre I can get Staffordshire Oatcakes easily enough but not the Derbyshire ones.

They're 'off the menu' at the moment as anything bready is out whilst I'm dieting, along with potatoes. Not enough 'bang for your buck' as OH says.

Tonight we had a good helping of Kitchree with a broccoli curry on top, a decent filling plateful for 550 cals each

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Derbyshire oatcakes are very similar to (identical?) to Staffordshire oatcakes, which can usually be bought from Neal's Yard Cheese, or I make them from Felicity Cloake's recipe

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... e-oatcakes

Love them, I use them to make English quesadillas

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm

I have never had the Staffordshire ones, but they look the same apart from the size. I think I have actually seen Staffordshire ones in Sainsbury's down here, but I pretend I haven't because it's nice to have something special to buy when I go up there, that I can't get down here :)

Derbyshire Oatcakes can be pleasingly salty.

I have never heard the term pyclets (spelled that way) before. Is it more of south Derbyshire thing?

Chatsworth Farm Shop was selling Chatsworth Curd Tart (i.e. YCT.) I didn't buy any as already over laden with desserty things, including Bakewell Pudding (not tart.) and I am supposed to be going back on the diet. I think not this week at this rate unless I just bin things. And then I am on holiday from the end of next week...

There are 149 calories in a Derbyshire oatcake. I had just one for dinner. Had I not had cheese on it, it would have been quiet a low calorie dinner. Well the cheese on it, and the dessert afterwards... :) That was actually all I had to eat today, though. But... really, one oatcake and an egg and the faux pastrami would have been enough dinner and no more than 300 calories (probably less.) I should do it again minus the cheese.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 12, 2021 4:02 am

I had some fresh pineapple slices left over from Sunday´s Rijsttafel, plus half a tin of coconut milk, some Borlotti beans, and a load of fresh veg. So I made a curry with them.
I wasn´t sure it was going to work, but it did - very tasty.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 am

I love gong bao ji ding and that looks great.

Yesterday I had halloumi and salad for lunch (couldn’t get halloumi in BVI so rather overdoing it at the moment...). Dinner was pasta with fresh pesto, bacon, cherry toms and spinach.

Lunch likely to be halloumi. I think for dinner we are having gypsy eggs - chorizo, onion, tomato mix with eggs baked in the oven - with crusty bread and salad.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox