Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Thu May 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Sorry should just have said curry sauce for ease. My son cooked Chicken Chasni yesterday and we keep sauce back to have with sausages. The cumin isn't a strong presence in the dish.

Lol BB, it's coming up on 5 years since I last worked but old habits die hard :lol: . I still eat late in the evening too for the same reason as I used to seldom get home much before 7pm and liked to get all my chores out of the way before sitting down to eat.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu May 13, 2021 7:38 pm

We made Diana Henry’s arroz al horno last night. It was very good...I wasn’t sure if I was eating a paella or cassoulet and didn’t care either way. I will come back to this recipe in the winter to eat in front of the fire with a glass of red. It’s the kind of food that induces a sofa snooze in front of a film.

Much more seasonally appropriate tonight with some leftover deli bits to clear out the fridge. Some chianti salami, various cheese incl a lovely raw feta, olives, stuffed peppers, baguette, salad and crudités.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:We made Diana Henry’s arroz al horno last night. It was very good...I wasn’t sure if I was eating a paella or cassoulet and didn’t care either way. I will come back to this recipe in the winter to eat in front of the fire with a glass of red. It’s the kind of food that induces a sofa snooze in front of a film.

Much more seasonally appropriate tonight with some leftover deli bits to clear out the fridge. Some chianti salami, various cheese incl a lovely raw feta, olives, stuffed peppers, baguette, salad and crudités.

Oh we made that last year after I got the book and it's definitely sofa snoozing inducing fare but very good. :yum Not sure why I never gave it another go, must remedy that come Autumn (or if the weather dips again).

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 14, 2021 4:19 am

Zero, Lush:
I made a mere 8 dishes: beef, pork, fish and shrimp, with a rudjak (fruit) salad, veg curry, green bananas with coconut and Nasi Goreng. Mango chutney - I make about 50 kgs a year so I´ve always got some. Toasted some coconut and toasted some crushed peanuts with garam masala, and made a batch of Ketjap Manis, plus some Sambal. So yeah - I suppose a dozen things to do, but nothing very complicated, which is what I like so much about Indonesian food.
Nothing to compare with the time I ate a "Rijsttafel" in Aruba, mind you. Extraordinary. I´ll have to satisfy myself with using the Rijsttafel as a "gimmick" to attract new clients :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 am

I used to make rujak a fair bit when my daughter was still here, don't know why I stopped really as I love it too, in fact I don't think I've had an Indonesian dish I haven't liked.
My fondest memories are the food eaten at 2AM in a slightly inebriated state though.
We'd generally go to the 24 hour padang place and wake up the sleeping guy to serve us!
(This is absolutely fine and expected by the way)

Postby WolfGirl » Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm

I haven’t posted on here for a while.
We’ve had some nice things and some ordinary things but I’m sure you don’t want to read a list!

Tonight we will be having a tapas meal. I’ve bought some bits from Tesco and was going to make pasta tasting bravas (that was supposed to say patatas but it made me smile) but as we’ve also got some bread I thought it might be carb overload. Instead I will make a tomato and chive salad and a fennel slaw.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Fennel slaw sounds great, how do you make it?

Postby RockyBVI » Fri May 14, 2021 5:49 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Yes, Rocky, I remember when it was built and attracted shoppers from all over W London! I believe it used to have the dubious honour of being the most profitable Sainsbury's per sq ft of space in the land! I don't know if that's still the case, but it certainly has a very wide choice of products.

DS2 used to work at the Bell & Crown, and one of the highlights was the staff meal! He always hoped to get the appropriate shifts :lol:

We've never been to the Greyhound.

The butcher on Strand on the Green always had a very good reputation, I don't know if it's still there.

I'm glad you're enjoying the area :thumbsup There's also a Sunday "Farmers' Market" at Dukes Meadows - which, in our opinion, was very patchy, but we moved from Chiswick in 2012 so it might well have changed in the meantime.

Thanks KeenCook. We enjoyed the Bell and Crown so I’m not surprised your son tried to time his shifts. We discovered this morning that the man who runs the lovely deli / butchers on Kew Bridge used to own the butchers on Strand on the Green. We have bought an amazing looking steak from him today that will form part of dinner - with what I’m not sure.

Lunch a Sainsbury’s pea and ham soup with a roll. I so rarely have bought soup. It was nice but not a patch on my own...

Postby WolfGirl » Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:Fennel slaw sounds great, how do you make it?

I just make as a normal coleslaw using thinly sliced fennel instead of cabbage. I usually use red onion for a colour contrast but if you have some red cabbage that can work. For the dressing, it’s a 1 part Dijon mustard, 2 parts apple cider vinegar combo.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Love the sound of the fennel coleslaw WG. :yum
A night off from cooking for me tonight, my son is having a chippy tea and I'm for a "here's one I made earlier" from the freezer though I'll probably pinch a few of his chips. :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 pm

I made stuffed peppers, sort of Mexican, the filling was black turtle beans, corn kernels and quinoa flavoured with chipotle and rather a lot of garlic, topped with a load of grated mozzarella rescued from the freezer
Was nice, should have used a bit more chipotle, the quinoa soaked it up

I cooked the beans from scratch, which was fine but draining and using them meant the kitchen looked as if I’d been massacring Goths

Postby Amyw » Fri May 14, 2021 10:29 pm

Those sound really nice Sue , might make this week .

I made pulled pork for the first time in the slow cooker tonight with Actifry chips and salad . The pork came out beautifully and it got devoured at work

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 14, 2021 11:56 pm

I worked 1-7 today, very civilised.
Home to a (ready poured) g&t followed by sausages, oven chips and mushy peas.
Hit the spot.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat May 15, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you WolfGirl, Ill give it a go and report back.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm

I did this one tonight
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... t-dressing

My opinion is
- the dressing was too sweet for me. Less honey, more citrus next time.
- the asparagus was lost. Broad beans would be better
- peanuts went well

She says to use sriracha or any other chilli sauce.
I used chipotle, would that have contributed to the sweetness?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 16, 2021 5:16 am

The chilpotle hot sauce will give you a marked, smoky flavour.
Chilpotles are jalapeños which have been smoked underground for 3 days.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 16, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks for that, so it probably wouldn't have contributed to the sweetness.
Just thinking of tweaks for next time.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Yep - and Thai Sriracha is a sweetened chile sauce. Next time I´d go with something like Encona brand, Cholula Mexican (if available), or Franks hot sauce. Anything with added flavours (like the Nando´s line) will affect the dish.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Just remembered I have a jar of my pal's home made pepper sauce, which is pretty ferocious.
(Probably right up your street KK)
Might experiment with that.

Now wishing I had remembered it yesterday.

Postby Binky » Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 pm

We had Mediterranean Fish Stew and jacket spuds for dinner

and Panna Cotta for dessert

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox