Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:26 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Gruney, do report back. A friend did a couple of her recipes from one of her other books, and the timings were way out - both dishes needed a lot longer than was given in the instructions.

I'm having the same experience as your friend, I'm afraid.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:49 pm

Yesterday I made Rick Stein’s Chicken Kapitan Malaysian style curry, which I had with Burmese lentil rice, made with red lentils (soaked) because I didn’t have any chana dal

https://www.food.com/recipe/butter-and- ... rma-483132

Had a serving of each yesterday, and another tonight with a little chopped salad

WWordsworth wrote:However, I failed to shop appropriately and as I am confined to barracks before lens replacement surgery on Thursday I have had to improvise a bit.

Good luck, it was fine for me, but take your swimming towel they soaked my hair they used so much saline

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:30 am

Good advice, thank you

Postby liketocook » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:54 pm

Yesterday I cooked a favourite of ours Jamie Oliver's mini pasta with bacon, mint and peas. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pas ... pea-sauce/
Tonight it Cajun spiced chicken thighs, baked potatoes, salad and coleslaw.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 am

liketocook wrote:I swear by the Mae Ploy green curry paste, it is IMHO better than any homemade ones I've attempted and it keeps for ages in the fridge. Though it does contain shrimp paste so not veggie/vegan friendly. Which paste do you buy scully, my nephew's new gf is vegan so handy to know if needed?

going back to this one from last year!
on the way back to the car from the asian supermarket, yesterday, i passed a small, 'new' thai shop which has a big stand of green (and other colours) curry paste in a vegetarian option, both the maisri (sp) and mae ploy - the latter also available in kilo pots at five pound something for the kilo. so it's out there if you can find it.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:58 am

scullion wrote:
liketocook wrote:I swear by the Mae Ploy green curry paste, it is IMHO better than any homemade ones I've attempted and it keeps for ages in the fridge. Though it does contain shrimp paste so not veggie/vegan friendly. Which paste do you buy scully, my nephew's new gf is vegan so handy to know if needed?

going back to this one from last year!
on the way back to the car from the asian supermarket, yesterday, i passed a small, 'new' thai shop which has a big stand of green (and other colours) curry paste in a vegetarian option, both the maisri (sp) and mae ploy - the latter also available in kilo pots at five pound something for the kilo. so it's out there if you can find it.

Cheers scully, good to know though my nephew is single these days! We're working our way through a 1kg tub of the original stuff, thank goodness it doesn't go off quickly!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:32 pm

Not for vegetarian (shrimp paste content) but what Mae ploy call chilli paste in oil nam prik paonis addictive

https://asiangroceryuk.com/products/mae ... n-oil-400g

I started buying it as an alternative to making the similar (but different) Burmese relish, belachaung which is a pain to make and stinks out the house

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:09 pm

Yesterday a trip to the fishmongers resulted in the purchase of two beautifully fresh haddock fillets. I breaded and shallow fried them and we had them with homemade air fried chips and tinned mushy peas. It was delicious. :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Last night we cooked a tweaked version of Rick Steins Galician hake which we baked with potatoes, onions and fennel. I separately slow cooked some tomatoes until they made a soft sauce and towards the end added king prawns with chilli, wild garlic, spinach and lemon to the tomatoes, and served that alongside the hake and potatoes etc.

Toasted English muffins this morning with grilled portobello mushrooms, poached eggs and wild garlic.

Not much cooking planned for the rest of this weekend, although we have 14 people coming for brunch on Sunday and for an Easter egg hunt. I’m tempted to bbq sausages for sandwiches and serve those alongside a big fruit platter with yoghurt and pastries for people to help themselves to. Buck’s Fizz also!

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Sounds good OMCO :yum .
On Friday I turned leftover haddock into a speedy fish pie topped with air fried frozen potato cubes. Not as good as one made from scratch but was still pretty decent. On Saturday DS2 made Korean style chicken wings which we had with baked potatoes and a sweet and sour cucumber & carrot salad.
Yesterday the family came for dinner - roast lamb, baby roast potatoes, pepperonata, aubergine salad and lettuce salad. Followed by sticky toffee pudding and tiramisu. Instead of starters we had various nibbly bits with a pre-dinner cocktail. It was all lovely and even more lovely that were all together for the first time in almost six months. :D
278681920_10222423435837966_3827296607188965613_n.jpg
278681920_10222423435837966_3827296607188965613_n.jpg (325.86 KiB) Viewed 2910 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:16 pm

That does look good LTC

I’m considering getting a half shoulder ( or leg) of lamb soon, for various reasons I’ve cooked hardly any roast meat for a long time, though I did have a duck breast yesterday with some Puy lentils as a veg

Tonight will be a sausage and lentil casserole thing to use leftover lentils

Postby liketocook » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 pm

Sounds good Sue, I love sausage and lentil casseroles.
Last night we had simple foil baked salmon with baked potatoes, broccoli and green beans. Minimal prep and clearing up which was good after all the weekend cooking.
DS2 is cooking tonight - dal with rice and salad.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:30 pm

Lamb here too recently…traditional roast leg of lamb yesterday. Leftovers have been chopped and frozen for a shepherds pie next week.

Tonight we’re having a wild garlic and spinach risotto with grilled asparagus. I may grill some chilli lemon prawn kebabs too.

I’ve picked up some lovely tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella so a caprese salad will feature in the next day or two.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:53 pm

I'm just in from yoga and J is busy with a kedgeree.
Having tried several recipes we like the Hairy Bikers version.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 pm

Made a leek quiche, with cheddar and parsley ...
Attachments
Leek quiche.JPG
Leek quiche.JPG (49.2 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

Postby Amyw » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm

That quiche looks lovely … I might make one soon for work .

Made a pavlova today for work . The unit where I’m working to , the rest of the staff aren’t really into food , so the clients eyes lit up today when they saw this

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:21 pm

Mmmm, quiche and pavlova. Thank you very much! :yum

I made a delicious soup/curry from the leftover veg in the freezer and fridge (the sort of bits you freeze and never use) and chicken stock as a base. Tomato puree, garlic and seasoning added. That's my base for the next couple of days. Tonight I added chilli flakes, 5 spice, coconut milk and prawns - it may not have been quite authentic anything but it was really lovely.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:24 pm

These both look gorgeous KC2 and Amy :yum
Hard to beat a good bung it in EM and if it tastes good sod it being authentic. :yum
Leftovers tonight to use up dal & rice from Tuesday, will had peas and spinach and toast a pitta to dip.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:17 pm

That quiche and pavlova - I could manage those, and no mistake! Tonight, I'll be making something quite light and tasty, and really easy - I'm still in that long covid sort of mood. It sounds quite exotic, but couldn't be simpler - Strapatsada. If you're impressed now - you won't be when you open the link :lol: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/strapat ... a_20220425

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 pm

A couple of post work beers tonight so I put jacket potatoes in the oven, on the timer.
We had them with a mixed salad, coleslaw and grated cheddar.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox