Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 12, 2022 6:23 pm

That sounds good Wordie :thumbsup
I'm planning on some beef & blk pudding meatballs ( Nigella's ) over the w/end sometime in tomato sauce & linguine.

Absolutely spoilt rotten yesterday - Himself came back from the f/mongers with an humungus crab - the season has started....... :limbobanana although the price has more than doubled - eye watering - but it was really gorgeous.
Salmon from the same trip will be tomorrows dinner.

Tonight it's fusilli pasta in a cream garlic/herb sauce with chicken breasts - I'm rebelling - I never do chicken & pasta.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 12, 2022 6:31 pm

I nearly did chicken breast tonight but the ones I have in the freezer are massive.
2 of them weighed 900g.
I planned to feed 7 with them.

I bought them as friends were coming for dinner.
Mr Friend is a bit fussy but enjoys chicken so that's what I bought.
Then we had to reschedule.

They will likely stay frozen until we next have visitors.

Postby scullion » Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm

dinner tonight was quick and easy -
sosmix sausages with added rosemary, a few chilli flakes and black pepper,
some more kale raab (i wonder how long it'll keep producing!)
and the first new potatoes, of the year, from the allotment.
they aren't ones i've planted but ones grown from some left in the ground last year and which i dug up as i wanted to plant in that area.
they may have been a little small but they were rather lovely.

Postby liketocook » Sun May 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Love the sound of the meatballs LL, I sometimes make pork & black pudding burgers but never thought about doing them as meatballs. :yum
Friday was and an easy egg, beans and mushrooms on toast.
Yesterday I marinated cubed lamb leg in a mix of tandoori spice, yoghurt and lemon juice which we bbq'd along with skewers of aubergine, sweet peppers and small shallots. We had these in flatbreads along with masala chips (Dan Toombs recipe https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food ... chips.html).
We were hoping to bbq again this evening - spatchcock chicken, corn, asaparagus and baby potatoes but the weather isn't looking promising.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 15, 2022 11:52 pm

Ha! I even make things that don't particularly appeal to me for the sake of experimentation!

Today's gourmet treat was Biscuits and Gravy from the USA, which I seem to be forever hearing about, AKA scones with sausagemeat in white sauce. And they really are scones, with as much sugar as a sweet scone.

Sickly rich, I sort of enjoyed the first half, but it got a bit much. I was vaguely reminded of the taste and texture of a vol-au-vent with a warm creamy sauce inside. I can see how some might consider it comfort food.

This was the recipe I used:
https://www.blessthismessplease.com/hom ... ump-target

Somewhere down the line I will make some proper Poutine, a similarly disgusting sounding mess from Canada (chips with cheese and gravy), anyone know where I can get cheddar curds from?

Hmm. I searched "biscuits gravy" here to see what had been posted here before on this dish, and the "Maryland Chicken" guy cropped up, I never got round to making that back in the day, maybe that's next on the agenda...

Postby scullion » Mon May 16, 2022 12:16 am

are there bits of carrot in there‽‽‽...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 16, 2022 12:45 am

Do you mean as in "Pavement Pizza"?

No, there is nothing vaguely nutritious, if there is anything orangey, it is probably the couple of slices of pepperoni I snuck in there to augment the sausage...

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 16, 2022 8:47 am

I first had biscuits and gravy made by a friend's mother who lived on a farm out in the sticks in Oklahoma and had cooked for a large family all her life. I think it was pretty much the genuine thing and was really delicious. Light fluffy biscuits (lighter than average scones and not sweet) and peppery sausage in the sauce. Easy to understand why it was so popular. Never had any quite as good again.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 16, 2022 12:15 pm

Interesting Sakkarin, it's something I'd probably enjoy if the scones were unsweetened.
As suspect rain halted any notion of bbqing yesterday. Instead potatoes I made a "Fakeaway" version of Nando's spicy rice based on various internet recipes. No idea if it was anything like theirs but it tasted really good though did remind me a bit of a packet of Golden Savoury rice with some added spices.
280619972_10222564770411242_7875397173395016313_n.jpg
280619972_10222564770411242_7875397173395016313_n.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 4089 times

Postby scullion » Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 pm

gosh, you've just reawakened the memory of savoury rice - haven't had that for over forty years!

Postby liketocook » Mon May 16, 2022 12:39 pm

scullion wrote:gosh, you've just reawakened the memory of savoury rice - haven't had that for over forty years!

Not quite that long scully but definitely 20+ years.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I first had biscuits and gravy made by a friend's mother who lived on a farm out in the sticks in Oklahoma and had cooked for a large family all her life. I think it was pretty much the genuine thing and was really delicious. Light fluffy biscuits (lighter than average scones and not sweet) and peppery sausage in the sauce. Easy to understand why it was so popular. Never had any quite as good again.

My BVI ‘dad’ is from Oklahoma originally and makes biscuits and sausage gravy and it’s delicious. He’s now 87 and his mum and dad ran a restaurant when he was a child.

Haven't posted in ages. OH was given a set called how to be a curry legend. Last night we tried the lamb and spinach curry and it was fabulous. Essentially it’s a cookbook and five spice blend so a really good way (and an easy way) to cook more interest in Curries. We also made the simple vegetable curry which was also good. Tonight I think will have fresh linguine with prawns and harissa.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 17, 2022 10:40 pm

RockyBVI wrote:Last night we tried the lamb and spinach curry

If you use frozen methi (fenugreek - Asda, about £1 a pack) and a bit of dried methi (not the seeds...), it becomes Methi Chicken instead of Saag Chicken, a slightly more subdued (sophisticated?) version. I usually maker mine half and half spinach/methi if I've got methi in the freezer. EDIT: Whoops, you're not in the UK are you?!?
https://groceries.asda.com/product/asia ... hi/2161635

On my silly dishes project, long after the Maryland Chicken debacle, I actually got around to trying it. I did the Escoffier version (haaaaa!) which is baked rather than fried, and also has bananas as a side (which our Maryland friend considered blasphemous).

Actually I quite enjoyed it, and the bananaishness was not so odd, as it was like the fried plantain I've had with Caribbean dishes. Not sure I'll bother again though - flouring, egging and breadcrumbing is such a faff. I followed the recipe slavishly, even getting some buttermilk for the marinating. Again I can see that it could be labelled comfort food. LOADS of butter.

This was the recipe I used:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/chicken-a ... pe-1375478

P.S. answering my own previous question, I spotted that Polish Tuareg cheese in Tesco is labelled curd cheese, so maybe Poutine is on the cards too....

Postby Pampy » Tue May 17, 2022 11:17 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
RockyBVI wrote:Last night we tried the lamb and spinach curry

If you use frozen methi (fenugreek - Asda, about £1 a pack) and a bit of dried methi (not the seeds...), it becomes Methi Chicken instead of Saag Chicken, a slightly more subdued (sophisticated?) version. I usually maker mine half and half spinach/methi if I've got methi in the freezer. EDIT: Whoops, you're not in the UK are you?!?
https://groceries.asda.com/product/asia ... hi/2161635

If that was a question for BVI, she's now in London.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 18, 2022 12:38 am

I don’t think Twarog is much like the the cheese curds used for poutine, I’ve bought it as a sub for Yorkshire curd cheese, it’s soft like Quark or fromage frais but the cheese curds used for poutine are quite chewy little cubes of cheesy stuff as I understand it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curd

Yes Rocky is now a Londoner

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed May 18, 2022 8:38 am

What are the chances that we will have some references to Chicken Maryland on the new board?

I used to sow fenugreek as a green manure under the bean canes but it produced considerably more methi than we needed (or indeed, than Mrs B wanted). It’s very easy to grow, but I suppose at £1 a go there’s no great point. I notice though that I could get all manner of World Foods from the ASDA in Edmonton that are unavailable out here.

Chicken and banana is a nice combo. Banana ketchup or pickles go really well with cold poultry.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 18, 2022 9:32 am

Yes. Apologies. I should change my board name! It’s interesting you made that comment. One of the five spice blends is in fact a methi blend. And it went very well. Last nights linguine was delicious and there is a lot left over. We ate all the prawns, but if we add a few more in it’ll make another dinner!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm

I've found a great recipe for making the Curd Cheese from scratch; I already have the annatto (I knew I'd find a use for it eventually), now all I need is liquid rennet, C201 thermophilic culture and calcium chloride!

https://cheesemaking.com/products/cheese-curds-recipe

Postby liketocook » Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Goodness that sounds like a bit of a faff for cheesy chips :lol: :lol:
Just a thought would crumbled paneer make a reasonable sub?
Not much cooking for me this week, DS2 was out on Monday so I had a smoked mackerel fishcake from the freezer with beans and peas.
Last night we were at my sister's, she made a fish pie. :yum
Tonight DS2 is cooking - dal, rice, salad and naan though I will start an Italian sausage ragu to have with pasta tomorrow.

PS - I'd be very disappointed if there was no banana fritter with Chicken Maryland. ;)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 18, 2022 6:28 pm

Good grief, this thermophilic/mesophilic culture business is so complicated, I think I'll have to pass on the Poutine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJ46HuzD4M&t=207s

...and the website page on the stuff in that video...
https://curd-nerd.com/make-your-own-cultures

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox