Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Slow cooked gammon with cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, carrots and corn yesterday. DS2 is making a chicken curry of some description tonight.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Ah LTC - now I want cauliflower cheese!

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Last night was a new one for us, beef and beetroot curry.
Enjoyed it.

Tonight will involve bacon, onion, garlic, broad beans and rice or pasta.
Not really decided yet.

Postby Kacey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Needed to make space in the freezer for the black dal I made yesterday, so tonight's dinner is shop bought pizza and shop bought oven chips. Yikes, don't tell anyone!

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Kacey wrote:Needed to make space in the freezer for the black dal I made yesterday, so tonight's dinner is shop bought pizza and shop bought oven chips. Yikes, don't tell anyone!

The sacrifices we make :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have leftovers Rocky but I'm not sure how well they'd travel!! DS2 had a ham and cauliflower cheese wrap for lunch today, it smelled great and he said it tasted really good.
Tonights curry is Chicken Handi, it's like a spicier not so creamy korma.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:57 pm

Really fancy curry over the next few days after reading on here.

We have had some lovely birthday and wedding anniversary food/celebrations recently. I’m hoping for a couple of days of downtime and healthy eating before Christmas now. I’ve defrosted salmon for tonight which we might have with rice and a vegetable Thai curry. Lunch will be a ufo from the freezer, it looks like some kind of greeny yellow soup :?

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:04 pm

I was going to bake stuff for the weekend with the family. But if that gets cancelled it will be wasted. So I may change my mind and turn it into stuff that can be frozen. The cauliflower cheese will work either way. The stollen I made yesterday is quite big and was for sharing at the weekend. It may be eaten toasted through next week instead.
Last edited by aero280 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:49 pm

I am now fancying gammon, with or without cauli cheese, also Thai curry still, and I have a load of green peppers to use up

I mention on another thread buying a whole lamb neck from the meat counter in the Turkish mini market, he had a great pile of whole lamb necks, they looked like little bedding rolls, we picked one out and he put it through a machine that cut it into neat slices of the required thickness, going smoothly through bone and meat without chipping or tearing, like getting a loaf sliced.

So I mad it into a classic stew in the multi cooker, and ate a portion on Sunday and one last night when I eventually got in

I've taken the last portion of the chickpea aubersine and pomegranate dish from Falastin out of the freezer for tonight. It's quite small so will probably make a bulghur pilaff and a veg dish or substantial salad

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Well, I need freezer space so I dug out a tiny portion of last week's beef and beetroot curry, a slightly larger portion of lamb stew and a single small plaice fillet.

Mulled over the options but the plaice fillet made it just too difficult so I put it all back and made palak paneer.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:15 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Well, I need freezer space so I dug out a tiny portion of last week's beef and beetroot curry, a slightly larger portion of lamb stew and a single small plaice fillet.

Mulled over the options but the plaice fillet made it just too difficult so I put it all back and made palak paneer.

:lol:

I don't know what was different but last night's risotto was delicious. Tonight is .... cauliflower cheese with a small ham / gammon that I found in the freezer. Thanks ltc. I genuinely need to use the cauli so it is perfect!

Postby liketocook » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:53 pm

Enjoy Rocky :yum
We had a use up meal last night, I cooked some homemade wedges and nuked some peas. DS2 had these with leftover curry and I had them with the remains of the cauliflower cheese. After yesterday's delivery and moving the turkey from the freezer to the fridge, my fridge is crammed so it was good to get these used up. Salmon tonight though haven't yet decided what to do with it.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:13 pm

The lamb stew I pondered over yesterday, with green beans and something else.
Cheese and crackers to follow if we're still hungry.

Postby Kacey » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:46 pm

Had a bag of spinach taking up too much space in the fridge, so made a spinach and feta pie for tea tonight. Will be having it with a few more shop bought oven chips, done Greek style with oregano and crumbled feta cheese. Have plenty of Greek yogurt so might have a big dollop with some honey for pud. Have put a bottle of Retsina in the fridge for later. Just had a delicious Whisky Mac whilst I was prepping, thinking I should have kept the Greek theme and had an ouzo instead.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Sounds like Christmas has erupted in your house :thumbsup

Postby Kacey » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi there WW, well with the enforced house arrest we've decided to make an occasion of it all.

How about another meet up in the new year? I'm dying to have the fried halloumi & chips again at the Exeter.

Postby smitch » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:12 pm

I found a sad looking bag of tenderstem broccoli when sorting out the fridge so I’ve made a cheesy broccoli risotto for tea. Just what I needed!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:16 pm

How about another meet up in the new year? I'm dying to have the fried halloumi & chips again at the Exeter.

I'm always up for an Exeter fishfinger sandwich 8-)

I'm working tomorrow then 2 weeks off.
Don't know about J but we can probably sort something out.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Whisky Mac sounds good. I've had some nice salmon (trying to create freezer space) with rice and salad.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:07 pm

I decided in the interests of creating space and making cold weather soup I'd do an oven load, roast a squash and some other bits for soup tomorrow, some parsnips to have tonight with sausages baked with red onion, some jacket spuds for future reference

I also did a very nice veg dish, the leaf rosette of a cauli shredded with a stray leek and a big meaty carrot, cooked like an Indian thoran, that is stir fried with a load of black mustard seeds, then finished with a lid on until fully cooked, The S Indian version has more flavourings of course, but I thought just black mustard sizzled in the oil would be nice with bangers and 'snips. Yup.

Might still have to do something about the gammon....

Postby herbidacious » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:29 pm

I just made some very buttery potato farls. Seems like a faff for lunch for one, but I had a craving for them. There is enough dough to make more for husband (and me!) this evening.

I accidentally bought two very big bags of potatoes so I do need to use them up, as I don't seem to be able to keep them long, even in the unheated lean to, without them sprouting.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox