Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Suffs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:48 am

We've been eating Cavalo Nero 'raab' this spring Scully ... absolutely delicious ... it als means that the Cav Nero was being productive for about 8 months continuously. We're groing to grow it again this year, instead of PSB which takes up the same amount of space but has such a short season. If we have a need for PSB we can indulge it at the farm shop.

Tonight's supper will be a sort of chicken tikka traybake with spiced cauliflower and chickpeas and rice (providing the chickpeas cooperate ... see Wild about Chatter thread for an explanation).

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:26 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Tonight,I'll be making Kapuska - per Rick Stein's "From Venice to Istanbul". You know when you just get a fancy for something, but you're not in the mood to put in a lot of effort? It's one of those. I put it down to Long Covid, which has plagued me since Boxing Day.

I had to get the book out and look - and couldn't find it in the index, but it's in as cabbage and lamb stew, which wouldn't have made me look twice. But now I have, and it looks intriguing. Might have to make it this weekend, now.
Thanks Gruney :thumbsup

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:56 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I had to get the book out and look - and couldn't find it in the index, but it's in as cabbage and lamb stew, which wouldn't have made me look twice. But now I have, and it looks intriguing. Might have to make it this weekend, now.
Thanks Gruney

My pleasure, SG. As you've got the book, I can also recommend the Pork Knuckle and onions dish on page158.

Edited to add - he prescribes savoy or white cabbage, for the kapuska. The tv programme has him using a white one, but having tried both, I find the Savoy infinitely preferable.
Last edited by Gruney2 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:28 pm

Oh I am sorry to hear that Rocky. Hope you are ok.

Everyone's food sounds amazing!

We had penne with salmon and vodka the other day. Steaks with garlic and herb butter, jacket potatoes and salad last night.

We're having buddha bowls tonight...popular in our house as we can all garnish ours individually to taste and it helps to clear out the fridge.

Curry tomorrow night...possibly a rogan josh.

We have friends coming round on Saturday. I wanted to get the paella pan out in the garden (even if we ate inside) but i'm not sure about that now the weather has taken a turn. Maybe a one pot dish followed by a really good cheese board.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:11 pm

I popped into Aldi while hub went to the clinic. I actually bought Savoy, Gruney. (prefer it anyway) Thanks.
I wonder what I could sub for Pork knuckle. Unless the farm shop has any, they won't be easy to come by.

My OH has a real 'thing' for anything labelled 'stew' (from being 'force fed' lob scouse, he says.). Call it casserole, and he's a happy man :D

There are quite a few things I'd like to cook from that book. I really must read it and bookmark some.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:19 pm

Our Morrisons has loads of pork knuckles - they call them "hocks". You can't confuse them with ham hocks, because they're in the packaged meat section, rather than with the bacon.

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:01 pm

Thanks OMCO. It’s proving to be a very effective diet….. Ishould know, but what is the basis of Buddha bowls!?

I managed to make chicken stock yesterday and added star anise, ginger etc. oH chopped and added veg when he got home. And he had some noodles with his. The broth was delicious.

He has suggested a takeaway which I think we’ll do as maybe something spicy will do the trick for me. He’s a good cook but has never made cauli cheese or risotto (both of which I fancy). So might coach him through one of those tomorrow

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:29 pm

last night - mushroom, walnut and lentil burgers (moosewood cookbook) with claudia rosen's moroccan carrot salad, a grated beetroot one (i found a beetroot when i was weeding the strawberry patch...) and potato salad.
i made the full recipe for the burgers so we'll have those, again, in a day or so.
tonight is thai-esque green curry to use the other half of the paste i made last week.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:21 pm

Thanks scully, that's what I'll do with my glut of mushrooms and nuts. It might be beans instead of lentils but still just what I feel like eating.

Your stock sounds as though it made a lovely soup too, Rocky.

I had some lamb 'steaks' (pieces) last night. I'm not really in the mood for meat at the moment.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:53 pm

Having this tonight with orzo. I added some chestnut mushrooms and fresh tarragon.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/and ... le-chicken

Postby liketocook » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:08 pm

I was home alone Wednesday & Thursday and went for easy options from my stash of "here's one I made earlier" in the freezer.
Friday was a sort of frittata/quesadilla concoction which tasted better than it sounds (and looked)!
Yesterday DS2 cooked chicken chasni, dal and rice. We had some lovely naan from an Indian supermarket in Newcastle that makes their own and I made spiced onions and raita to have with it. There's a disappointingly meagre amount of leftovers.
Roast sirloin tonight which we're having with herby potato slices, watercress/spinach/rocket salad and a red chimichurri-style sauce (Jamie Oliver recipe).

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:12 pm

I'll be having this, with salad and salad potatoes - dead easy:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oven ... cken_13123

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:00 pm

looks good, gruney ...

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:51 pm

I have bookmarked that gruney, thank you. Right up my street

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 pm

I've made that recipe - it was fine but I found it a bit under flavoured.

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:33 pm

I've not made that recipe but tried a version from the Guardian and like Pampy found it under flavoured. I hope your version hit the spot Gruney.

Yesterday's beef was gorgeous, a real treat, and the sauce worked really well with it. There's lovely leftovers for lunch. :yum

Soup making later - cream of chicken and veg. Tonight I'm cooking Creamy paprika chicken with baby spuds, broccoli, green beans and asparagus.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Well I just used six largish thighs - 1kg but still used the same amount of marinade. It did have quite a bit of flavour, but nothing like the picture might suggest, and i would agree with the "underflavoured" verdict. Still - you've got to try these things, to find out, haven't you?

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:16 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Well I just used six largish thighs - 1kg but still used the same amount of marinade. It did have quite a bit of flavour, but nothing like the picture might suggest, and i would agree with the "underflavoured" verdict. Still - you've got to try these things, to find out, haven't you?

I'd try marinading it longer ... two or three hours ... and slash through the thicker parts with a sharp knife before marinading.

Yesterday we had local Red Poll beef brisket cooked slowly in the CrockPot, with a little red wine, onion, juniper berries, bay leaves and thyme etc. We had that with roast potatoes and parsnips, Yorkshire puds and purple sprouting broccoli .... the gravy made with the red wine and meat juices etc was just delicious ... today I've sliced up some potatoes and onions, and assembled Panakelty with the leftover beef, psb and gravy ... it'll cook under foil for a couple of hours after the bread's out of the oven, then I'll just take the foil off and heat it though and crisp up the top later.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:16 pm

We've had left-over c from f & c a couple of times, and they are now finished (I brought them back on Friday from my sister's f & c for lunch from a Hove chippy).
In a sort-of Spanish omelette - lots of fried chopped onions with the cut-up chips, eggs, parsley, s & p.

When I was looking for inspiration, I came across this: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... nd%20gravy

Tonight I'm doing our version of Ottolenghi's tomato galette.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:50 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Well I just used six largish thighs - 1kg but still used the same amount of marinade. It did have quite a bit of flavour, but nothing like the picture might suggest, and i would agree with the "underflavoured" verdict. Still - you've got to try these things, to find out, haven't you?

Yes, and tell others if it is below par, what a shame, I have the ingredients and was getting quite excited.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox