Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:14 pm

I think bacons so hard to replicate in a vegetarian substitute .. I use quorn chicken a fair bit . The mince is ok too and if I fancy a bit of trashy food , their nuggets are good in a wrap

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I've got a BNS to use up too. I'm going to stuff it with the remains of last night's veg & cheese. I just had it with some leftover wholegrain rice in the end rather then nut/crumb topping. I bought some Quorn bacon. I haven't tried anything Quorn for ages as I used to dislike the flavourings. I still do. I suspect a horrendous amount of salt too. Not looking forward much to the rest of the pack - it looks like fried Spam too :(. I also bought some rtc smoked haddock chowder, the sort in a little china dish. Very expensive usually, I'm wondering if it would be greedy to have some for lunch as well as the BNS later.

Would the Quorn bacon maybe work as the base for a soup? If you have the chowder for lunch there might leftovers from later that could be used for soup.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 pm

More bibimbap over the weekend, this time with prawns.

We’ve also been eating…Piri piri salmon with rice and a sort of ratatouille. Courgette, pea and mint soup topped with a few nuggets of feta and a drizzle of basil oil.

Lunch today was a quick prawn noodle soup using lime leaves, chilli, ginger, spice paste, limes, soy and coriander.

Dinner will be a roasted vegetable puff pastry tart with side salad.

We have lamb chops for tomorrow with potatoes, feta, mint, butter, possibly green beans.

I got the Hairy Bikers one pot wonders book out from the library and will be perusing that for inspiration for some batch cooking for the freezer.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Even some real bacon, doesn't quite make it, I bought a pack of Houghton Hams Nigel Wagstaff Low Nitrite Streaky Bacon and, dull
Shame - very nice looking lean meat, but it just didn't really taste as if it has been fully cured, think not using any sugar in cure didn't help. Also cut so thin it was difficult to handle and cook
Looks as if they might not be currently making it, bought about 2 weeks ago

https://houghtonhams.co.uk/shop/nitrate ... acon-180g/

So I have been eating dull bacon sandwiches for lunch and oddments for dinner

Tonight however I have put a salmon fillet into some teriyaki marinade from a bottle, boosted with a bit of ginger and garlic, and I will attempt miso roasted veg to go with it

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 am

OMCO you always have such interesting food!

On Sunday we had a spontaneous trip to watch London Irish which is around the corner. Brilliant. Despite having had a couple of beers, I managed to make fish pie when we got home. Last night we had linguine with bacon, sprouts and Parmesan. It is such a good recipe. Tonight will be chicken stir fried with lemongrass and other bits with whatever veg we have thrown in and noodles.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am

Yes, OMCO and ltc are both such good planners! (I was once when I was feeding a family and had a routine!).

The stuffed BNS with extra veg and cheese in the filling last night was delicious. I picked up some rtc swordfish steaks in Sainsburys the other day and will have one tonight cooked simply in a pan with lemon and served with an assortment of veg. I wouldn't normally buy a fish from far away that may not be sustainable but find it even sadder to see it on a rtc pile and thinking that such a delicious thing could be wasted.

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:44 am

Yum swordfish EM, completely agree it would such a waste if unsold and ditched.
I love the sound of your pasta Rocky.
I cooked a vat of BNS chilli and a pot of cream of broccoli soup yesterday. The soup will do us again for lunch and I'll portion & freeze the remaining chilli.
Sausage casserole for dinner this evening https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/saus ... bean_96450 . There's leftover stuffing from Sunday which I'll whizz up with some more bread for the topping.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 am

Definite inspo from the teriyaki salmon, that pasta dish, stuffed butternut and the sausage cassserole for the coming weeks! I do love this thread for filing away thoughts and ideas for future meals.

My girls are currently going through a bagel obsession so we had rather a large breakfast (for a midweek day) of bagels with salmon, eggs and spinach. So lunch will be light… leftover courgette, pea and mint soup.

We’re having the lamb tonight as already mentioned.

There’s a veggie cheesy crumble in the hairy bikers book which I fancy making soon, specifically to put a few portions in the freezer.

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Yes, OMCO and ltc are both such good planners! (I was once when I was feeding a family and had a routine!).

Better in theory rather than practice this week! :lol: DS2 has headed to the pub to meet mates in an impromptu get togeher, one of them lives in America now but is back for the wedding they are all going to this weekend. They've not seen each other for over two years so plenty to catch up on! DS2 grabbed a quick dinner of sausages, spaghetti hoops and toast while I'm having sausages with the leftover stuffing, some mash from the freezer, peas and onion gravy (both also from the freezer). The planned casserole will be made another time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:51 pm

My planning has gone a bit sideways due to my Lidl shop.

I made Chetna’s mushroom and black eye bean curry tonight
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... a-mushroom

It’s good, but if I did it again I’d cut the mushrooms more chunky and cook it uncovered as it’s a bit wet

I shan’t buy the cheap KTC coconut Milk again, it doesn’t taste very much of coconut and faintly unpleasant (don’t think this is me, I’ve been eating coconut recently, and I’ve had doubtful canned coconut milk like this before)

But the good thing is that the recipe uses garam masala, and as I still can’t eat cumin or coriander, especially together, I threw out some I had and made my own. It is pretty pungent, makes me realise that the cheap commercial mix is a little too dumbed down. I have a little stash of it now.

Edited to remove the effects of autocorrect

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 pm

I've had the KTC coconut milk before Sue and wasn't keen either!

Easy one tonight for us - pasta with tomato sauce, pesto and chorizo. The sauce and pesto are both from batches I made and froze so apart from dicing some chorizo no prep needed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:42 pm

I was struggling to think what it was about the coconut milk, I perhaps it tastes more like dilute evaporated dairy milk than good coconut milk

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I was struggling to think what it was about the coconut milk, I perhaps it tastes more like dilute evaporated dairy milk than good coconut milk

Yes it reminded me of made up powdered milk.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Chetna’s mushroom and black eye bean curry tonight

I have always made Madhur's version.
Maybe I should do this one for comparison.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:07 pm

WWordsworth wrote:
Chetna’s mushroom and black eye bean curry tonight

I have always made Madhur's version.
Maybe I should do this one for comparison.

The big difference is the coconut milk, and I think a half can of good stuff might be enough, both for flavour and liquid

Plus Chetna uses the masala instead of individual spices, which suits me at the moment

I did cook dried beans, but that won't have made much difference

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

I'm not sure my meal can be defined as cooking. A loose interpretation of achari lentils.
Food is challenging. I need soft food. He wants low carb meaty dishes. Chilli for him.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 pm

Not usually much earth shattering for me to mention here but tonight we had homemade white pizzas, mine was pancetta & pineapple, hubby's was....liver & bacon :vomit .

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 pm

Interesting I can't say I've ever thought of putting liver on a pizza but I'd give it go!

DS2 finished the broccoli soup. Pot 2 of the week now made - cream of tomato this time, basically a "souped" up :lol: version of the Slimming World one using baked beans. DS2 had taste and says it tastes just like "posh Heinz" which I'm going to take as a compliment as he's a tad fussy about tomato soup. :D

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:41 pm

This is what I made this evening - first time, but it won't be the last.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/gemelli ... e_20210923

Postby Amber » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 pm

I love white pizza - both sound lovely to me. Was the liver/bacon pre-cooked or not?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox