Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 pm

from the old thread where Renee posted yesterday

ZeroCook wrote:No problemo, Renee. Have a taste or get someone else to! I have kimchi a couple of years old in the fridge. Still good. Or just toss it and start over. Sometimes things just need to go.

And wow, has it really been that long since posting on here??

Adobo marinated pan fried Swordfish couple nights ago - I always like a piece of serious fish when it goes on sale - can't be paying silly prices otherwise. That's just me! Forgot to make the radicchio salad w. balsamic and pomegranate molasses dressing to go with it tho, so did that last night, remajon style with oranges along with sweet Italian sausage, sizzled. Easy cooking for a hot day.

When it gets hot, another good salad is Greek style watermelon & feta etc. On the menu for sometime soon.

Also on the upcoming menu, ravioli, some with pumpkin and cheese stuffing, some filled with the contents of an extra Italian sausage I got for the purpose. Was just eying the ravioli maker I bought during first lockdown and not used much since last year.

Continuing this here from the old thread thread - no wonder it seemed ages! :D :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4889&start=2420

Renee wrote:Watermelon and feta sounds a lovely combination for hot weather! Thanks for the dressing idea, because I do have pomegranate molasses, which I use for Muhumara. I think that I might have got that idea from you many years ago!

Nothing exciting tonight because I've been out for most of the day. I'm having a leftover smoked salmon fillet, having cooked two of them last night, with potato salad, tomatoes and two different varieties of lettuce. A quick and easy meal.

Leftover smoked Salmon fillet sounds perfect, Renee, as does potato salad. Tis the season. Do you do a mayo or a vinaigrette dressing? I always do mayo but a change would be good too.

Yes, Muhammara uses pomegranate molasses. The radicchio salad is pinched and slightly deconstructed/reconstructed from Anna Jones' radicchio pasta which I made last year - I had felt the pesto was a bridge too far. I made the radicchio dressing last night with dark balsamic, white balsamic, a finely minced fat clove of garlic, and a touch of sambal olek instead of fresh chopped red chili and tastier in a dressing IMO, plus a drizzle of walnut oil.

ETA moved pic.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 pm

Today, I used a mayo for the potato salad, but I have used both in the past. Your radicchio dressing is very interesting, so I'll give that one a try very soon. Occasionally, in the past, if I was watching my weight, I just sprinkled white balsamic on salad. When using garlic, I always roast it first in my halogen oven, so that it's not over pungent!

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 pm

I usually don't put garlic in a dressing, but the pungency really goes well with with the seared radicchio and balsamics.

Round 2 lunch salad with leftover dressed radicchio, an orange from the fridge, torn up prosciutto, a grind of pepper, remaining dressing plus a small drizzle of pomegranate molasses and walnut oil, small dots of sambal olek and a sprinke of capers. Hit the spot.

Just charred and roasted an aubergine that needed tending to for baba gannouj.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:50 pm

We have a yen for simple, clean flavours tonight so it will be salmon steaks with garden potatoes, peas and dill sauce.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm

Can't beat it, Ww. :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Another who couldn't agree more.....!!

Chunky plaice fillets tonight with not-home-grown Cornish new pots & green beans/sugarsnaps - haven't decided yet whether to attack the fennel or dill outside.........

Mussels tomorrow - big boys from the f/mongers trip this morning

It really does feel like 'clean' food......

Postby Renee » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:02 pm

I love plaice fillets, dipped in flour and fried, the way that my mum used to cook it. I love Cornish potatoes too, but haven't see any this year, only the Jersey and local potatoes.

I made Baba Ghanouj this afternoon, for the first time.

Baba Ghanoush 17.06.22.jpg
Baba Ghanoush 17.06.22.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 8900 times

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Dipped in flour and fried is the only way Renee..... :thumbsup
Cornish pots from Tesco.

Your Baba Ghanouj looks lovely, were you happy with it after it's maiden voyage?

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm

we've been eating 'cornish potatoes' from the allotment for a few weeks now...

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:20 am

I don't go to Tesco, Lush because it's not my nearest supermarket. I live in Lancashire, so maybe the potatoes aren't sold in my area. Yes, I was quite happy with the Baba Ganouj, but I think that I added too much tahini. I did add a small amount of cumin and coriander.

Aren't you lucky to have them in your garden Scullian!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:16 pm

My Morrison's doesn't seem to have Cornish potatoes at the moment, though I think we had them last year when the Jerseys finished

Last night I had a traybake of a whole small bream with red onion, yellow pepper, tomato, and a few parboiled Jerseys, garlic, olives, and fresh herbs. i don't often put olives in (I used Kalamata) but will do it more, they went deliciously sweet

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:59 pm

I love plaice fillets, dipped in flour and fried

My grandmother (born 1902) used to run a fish and game shop.
She always reckoned the only way to cook fish was to dip it in flour and fry it in butter.

In her later years when she wasn't very mobile, I would go for a cup of tea and take her some fresh fish, often a plaice.
She preferred it to be delivered whole. She liked to clean it herself so she could "have a good look inside it."

This is the woman I have mentioned on previous boards.
She had a bread oven next to her coal fire but it wasn't used as an oven.
She kept her nightdress in there during the day and it was the resting place for her corset overnight.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:04 pm

Your baba gannouj looks totally delicious Renee.

I made some too, along with some hummus but it disappeared faster than I could take a photo of it! :D

Potatoes dont get better than home grown, Scullion.

Your grandma sounds like a smart and sensible woman, WW!

Whole baked bream sounds excellent, Stokey. Ive seen red snappers around at one fish counter I go past but don't often buy at.They could've been fresher so passed up.

Fajitas tonight. I'm liking mixing a quick achiote paste with the strips before sizzling Muy authentico :D

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:34 pm

That baba ganoush does look good.

I made gazpacho yesterday and tonight stuffed peppers.
Stuffed peppers have been a bit of a bête noire. At one point they were the default vegetarian alternative (not really an option...), especially at weddings. Soggy pepper stuffed with rice and if you were really unlucky, with sultanas in there. I realize that what I don't like about these (apart from not being a big rice) is that cooked in this way - tops cut off and rice stuffed inside - they tend to steam.
I prefer to slice the peppers horizontally and put just a few ingredients in there - cheese, garlic, breadcrumbs, maybe capers and olives. Today's did have some grains in them though - I had a bag of Merchant Gourmet Persian style grains (no sultanas that I could detect...) so that, feta cheese, pine nuts, smoked garlic, thyme, a tiny pinch of chipotle flakes on each half and a drizzle of smoked rapeseed oil.

Postby scullion » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:53 pm

i agree about the stuffed peppers although we had some really good ones at the isis farmhouse some years back.
not a grain of rice in sight.
they were stuffed with a sort of lightly curried potato and veg mix - really tasty, really good.

ps. it seems to have changed rather a lot. it used to be shabby comfort with one vegetarian option, one meat option and baked beans on toast plus cakes.
sometimes it pays to do just a couple of things really well.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:37 pm

I don't remember the Isis Farmhouse. Was it called something else in the past? The Isis Tavern? Husband and I lived on Weir's lane in the year before we moved to London - spitting distance. Mind you we couldn't afford to eat out much. This was back in '97-98.

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:11 am

possibly was - it's up by iffley lock, on the towpath.
our daughter and partner lived on iffley road

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:33 am

What a gorgeous salad and baba g., Renee and Zero. Both really different.

I only do baked fish inside peppers. Seems to cook well that way and doesn't suck the life out of the peppers.

Scullion, the best potatoes I've tasted were home grown in a family garden. They were naturally creamy, I've never tasted anything like them before.

How do you do your achiote paste, Zero?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:29 pm

I actually really like a good stuffed pepper. Rarely make them but. Baked fish in peppers sounds delish, Gill - how do you do yours?

Achiote paste is basically achiote powder i.e. ground annatto seeds, spices, herbs, citrus zest if wanted, mixed with vinegar to form a paste.I like achiote a lot - a bright orange-red very subtle earthy spice that also adds body.

Makes an interesting sub for turmeric and even saffron

Rick Martinez does a decent achiote paste (kosher salt = coarse, so use half or less for fine)(1/4 c whole annatto seeds = about 3-4 tbs or 2 tbs ground)
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/achiote-paste

For convenience I use ready ground annatto seeds. For fajitas or tacos etc I often just do a quick version - a rounded tbs of ground annatto/achiote, pinch or two of cumin, pinch or two of oregano/herbs, touch of ground cloves and coriander or a smidge of garam masala (= cloves, coriander etc), bit of black pepper, bit of salt, finely minced clove of garlic, mixed with vinegar of choice.

Sandwiches tonight :D

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:06 pm

Lovely story about your grandmother, WW. My grandma had an oven next to the fireplace and used it for the Sunday roast. I've no idea how the temperature was controlled and probably wasn't, but the roasts were so delicious!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox