Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:23 pm

Seafood pasta with a little side salad here

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Our pals from Scotland have been here for the weekend.
It included a trip to Nalaas in Derby yesterday, which they enjoyed.

It was lovely to see them but we are enjoying not having to make conversation. (They left this morning)

Sausage and mash for us tonight.
Very unusual for a Sunday but we can't be bothered.

It's probably worth mentioning here that J made the Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon and it was glorious.

Postby Wic » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Yesterday we had boeuf bourguignon. I don’t know what recipe it was, I found it, it had been 'misfiled' in the wrong drawer of the freezer, I’d made it a year ago. Whatever, it was gorgeous. If only all odds and sods found in the freezer were as good!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:44 am

Step mil made us her beef stew on Saturday evening. It has a hint of orange (zest) in there which might sound odd but works. They served it with smoky mash, made smoky by smoked sea salt, plus green beans.

Last night we had one of eldest daughters favourite dinners which is a big pot of noodle broth with lots of extras in little bowls to add to make your own soup. There were dumplings, spicy prawns and mushrooms, strips of beef, Chinese lettuce, edamame, coriander, soy and sesame. Lots of slurpy mess but delicious.

I think we’re having shop bought pizzas tonight with salad.

We have plans for pork belly skewers with Boston beans one night in the week. I also have a celeriac to turn into a soup with potatoes and leeks.

I’m trying to clear the freezer out pre Christmas and we have 2 tubs each of blackcurrants and black garlic. I need to use up a tub of each ideally, obviously not in the same dish. I have a stunner of a cook book about garlic so I’ll have a look in there. I’m pretty sure there’s a chapter on black garlic.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:59 am

We also had a beef casserole last night, which I'd made and frozen a couple of months ago. We had jackets and spiced roasted squash alongside it.
OH will not eat anything under the guise of stew, but by miraculously changing its name to casserole, it becomes appetising. I think he had a bad experience with a lob scouse stew as a child!
He will also not eat fish, but has agreed that a coconut spiced salmon sounds 'OK'. He wouldn't eat anything with coconut until about 2 years ago!!

Postby liketocook » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:41 pm

All these beef stews and casseroles sound delicious. DS2 is not a big fan of them but is going to be away for a few weeks from next week and I have a few planned. :D
Straightforward roast chicken dinner for us yesterday and for tonight DS2 had cooked an aubergine and potato curry.

Postby Kacey » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:09 pm

Singapore Noodles Saturday night, last night was a 'dinner' ie roast potatoes and yorkshire puds with veggie sausages and veg. Was inspired by the lovely button sprouts in my Oddbox. OH loves 'dinners' and would have them more often given the chance.
Tonight will be curry of some sort, the beetroot in the Oddbox had lovely big leaves attached so might use them for a saag dish.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Yesterday, i braised a lamb shank in my 1.5l slow cooker - a nice change.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:14 am

I’m now hankering for a beef stew!

We are finally into our new house. So lovely. We were unpacking on Sunday so had Sicilian sausage stew. I had bought a sainsburys roast in the bag chicken on special offer so we had that last night with cauliflower cheese. Absolutely delicious.

Salmon with noodles and veg tonight I think.

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Glad you are finally in your new house Rocky :) .
I thoroughly enjoyed our aubergine and potato curry yesterday, made a nice change from some of the richer one's DS2 has been cooking recently.
Tonight we're having Cajun spiced pork steaks with sautéed onions & peppers, corn and baked potatoes.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Congratulations, Rocky!

DS1 and partner are here this week so made the Ottolenghi veggie lasagne again that Smitch recommended, but with red peppers and courgettes again, instead of fennel and courgettes, and oregano instead of dill. I also make a rocket pesto instead of a dill pesto.

It really is terrific. The "bechamel" is ricotta + mozarella + cream + parmesan, which works a treat.

I don't know how, but even though it's supposed to be not too longwinded and complicated, it still seems to take me an awfully long time to make.

For pudd, I made a version of Suelle's apple and cranberry crumble cake.
Huge success, as usual - thank you Suelle!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:48 pm

Enjoy the new house Rocky!

I like the sound of that lasagne.

I had some celeriac and potato soup for lunch after a body pump class (ouch!)

We had the lamb dish from last week again…with the harissa roasted carrots with hazelnuts, a brown rice and edamame packet from Waitrose, and harissa, lemon and coriander yoghurt. Really good.

D3A981C3-C5D5-4776-96D5-694D659DD690.jpeg
D3A981C3-C5D5-4776-96D5-694D659DD690.jpeg (142.43 KiB) Viewed 1843 times

Postby herbidacious » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 am

I made savoury mince again. Soya mince this time. It was very moreish. This is the first time I have cooked properly (and this only just counts as cooking properly) in ages. I need to get back into the groove. (Damn! Madonna earworm now...)

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:14 am

Thanks for the ear worm Herbi :D Very pretty plate of food OMCO

Thanks all. It is really very exciting.

We didn’t have salmon last night. Instead I recreated a dish we had at a hotel a while ago which was a tomatoey chorizo and white bean mixture with a piece of fish on top. We had cod. Had it with broccoli. Very nice.

OH has drinks this evening so will be quite late. Something simple like pasta and pesto I think

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:14 pm

RockyBVI wrote:OH has drinks this evening so will be quite late. Something simple like pasta and pesto I think

when my partner is out or not eating my go to quick meal is a packet of quick cook noodles with a spoonful of coconut milk powder, thai curry paste, some frozen peas, finely sliced red pepper (maybe some other bits of veg like frozen broccoli cut small) and a couple of chopped spring onions.
i never think of just pasta and pesto!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:39 pm

I assumed the pasta was to feed both when the drinker returned?

Last night I wanted something quick and I had cooked jasmine rice in the fridge so I did a quick egg fried rice that was probably slightly more veg than rice, I thawed and blanched a handful each of peas and sweetcorn by pouring boiling water over them, added spring onion, red pepper, a few prawns and seasoning ps, drizzled with sriracha

Tonight is a beef & veg stew currently in the slow cooker, this is experimental.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:13 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pers ... soup_76589

I have just assembled a panfull of this.
A couple of changes though
- didn't have enough onions so we will have to forego the crispy topping
- no haricot beans so I used cannelloni
- I used up some egg noodles rather than linguini

It's all done apart from the herbs and sour cream, which I will stir through in a few hours when I return from yoga.

The recipe doesn't mention salt or pepper but I have tasted the dish as it is at the moment and added some.

It pretty substantial.

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:34 pm

That does sound substantial WW :)
Lovely looking lamb dish OMCO.
Pasta & pesto her too with tomato sauce and some chorizo.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:10 pm

gosh, that Persian soup recipe looks gorgeous, ww.

Re pasta and pesto - we almost always have a bowl of h-m pesto in the fridge and find it incredibly versatile.

It's lovely in omelettes or scrambled egg, and today we had it mixed with cottage cheese and scrambled egg on toast.

It's great in any sort of sarnies, too.

Spinach, kale and rocket are good options, as you're more likely to have 50g or 100g of those around than herbs alone - if you don't grow your own, the small supermarket packets of herbs are often only 30g, so you really need 2 or 3 for a decent batch of pesto.

I use whatever nutty ingredient I feel like - ground almonds, plain cashews, walnuts, pinenuts or toasted versions. Parmesan/grana padano can be optional if you want to make it less rich.

I like the idea of toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds as well, but haven't ever tried them.

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:15 pm

I made lots of pesto during the summer when my basil was rampaging and froze it in ice cube trays and small baby food tubs. It's so handy. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox