Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:04 am

Realise it's too late for Rocky's pork mince, but in this house I use it for Tupperware chorizo, Chinese dishes such as ants climbing a tree or stuffings - there's an interesting stuffed cucumber dish in the original BBC Ken Hom book. In the pre transplant days I used it in a version of pastitsio a fair bit as I was practising dishes for a dialysis diet.

Anyway, should anyone ever again have some pork mince to use up, there are some suggestions! :D

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:35 am

Family bbq for us this evening though it may end being a case of cook outside eat in as it's not that warm.
Keeping it fairly simple - lamb kebabs, spiced onions, lavash bread, Greek salad, tzatziki and Lebanese style potatoes. We have bought garlic and chilli sauces. I'm covering the meat, onions and bread, my sister the spuds and my kids the salads. :wino and :cocktail: will be consumed.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 pm

I had to look up lavash bread and happened upon this version if anyone's interested. It's made as crackers with a touch of chill, plus sesame and nigella seed sprinkle. 'Twould be good for humous or other dips methinks.
https://thebellyrulesthemind.net/multig ... ead-chips/

PS Luv the site title - too true by 'alf.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:32 pm

I had my 3rd 0520 alarm of the week
(I am too old and knackered for more than 2)
So J was chef de cuisine tonight.

Whole seabass stuffed with garlic slivers and herbs - probably basil and tarragon - served with potato salad and a green salad.

And a couple of glasses of kiwi sauvignon blanc.

Maybe a couple of crackers with cheese shortly, and a glass of primitivo.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Well I've just had a real disappointment. I made a pot roast of ham shanks in cider, with apples and the usual bits and pieces. I've made it a good few times, and if you're in the mood, it really hits the spot. Tonight, it turned out really bland, and uninteresting. I can't find the wrapper,to prove it, but I suspect I picked up a couple of pork shanks, rather than ham. Hmmph.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:38 pm

You’d think with cider and so on even uncured pork shanks would be pretty tasty, though presumably you would have underseasoned, expecting the meat to be salty

I had a mild disappointment, I wanted a vegetarian pizza and bought a Waitrose ready made one with vegetable antipasti on it - artichokes, peppers, olives which seemed like a good idea. I added some fior di latte but it lacked oomph, should have added pepperoncini (I have jalapeños) and/or capers

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:04 am

Stokey Sue wrote:You’d think with cider and so on even uncured pork shanks would be pretty tasty, though presumably you would have underseasoned, expecting the meat to be salty

Exactly, Sue.

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:19 pm

LTC - the prawn noodle dish was lovely. Thank you for sharing the link! And thanks for the pork mince ideas BM. Will be trying some of those.

Had leftover noodles for breakfast. ‘Lunch’ is at 2:30 at a restaurant in Portobello with some chums I haven’t seen for about ten years. Suspect we won’t need dinner…..

Postby liketocook » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Glad it was tasty Rocky
What a shame Gruney it's horrible when something you've made disappoints.
I don't know if I could bothered to make lavash bread but DS2 picked a couple packs up when he was in Newcastle as I can't buy round here. It's ideal for kebab wraps.
We had a lovely bbq yesterday, no " after" photos but I did snap a couple of pictures of the the kebabs before they were cooked. The top one is the lamb koftas and the bottom thinly sliced lamb.
IMG_20210626_171927[10990].jpg
IMG_20210626_171927[10990].jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

IMG_20210626_174359[10989].jpg
IMG_20210626_174359[10989].jpg (82.7 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

Sirloin steaks with salad and new season potatoes for dinner.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Some delicious food on here!

Rocky, I looked for the meatloaf recipe but couldn't find it - I am pretty sure it was a Jamie Oliver one. None of the ones around now look particularly familiar, although I'd be happy to give any of them a try.
I think it was one he said was one of his wife's recipes - "Jools' best meatloaf" or something like that. It used beef and pork mince, but remember doing it with just one or the other as well.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:45 pm

My favourite fish, a real treat - beautiful John Dory on Friday with new pots, green beans & fennel, Sumac chicken & mixed salad last night & a robust chilli tonight.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 am

Looks like I've missed a whole page here over the weekend - some tasty stuff and grilly things going on.

Super looking pinchos and tortilla pics Gill - it's end of June and we still haven't got round to grilling outside. Have you been using your fire pit?

LTC - you're doing some serious bbq meat stuff - birthday I gather - happy eating was had I'm sure.

Your stuffed seabass sounds excellent WW.

Love sumac chicken, Lush, Mussakhan, especially.

We've been very bitty and samey the past week recipe wise as it was a busy week. Freezer lasagna from the huge stash I made, frozen cioppino stock that needed using so added some leftover mahi mahi and a couple of giant prawns. Last night was pan fried side of sockeye salmon with rice which means leftovers get turned into salmon California rolls tonight, a fave.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 am

Oh lovely sounding fishy things :yum
Thanks ZC, yes it was a bit of a meat fest :) . We did have plenty of salad as well so it didn't feel like a complete protein overload. Lamb is probably my family's favourite bbq meat so I knew it would get scoffed.
Steak dinner last night cooked by my son which was delicious. We did have a salad as well that isn't shown in the photo.
IMG_20210627_205921[10991].jpg
IMG_20210627_205921[10991].jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:29 pm

3 words = de lish us!
Lovely photos.

No, we've not had the fire pit on yet. I have got the cantilever umbrella in the right position ready though for when the sun gets banging hot.
And I can take out my glass topped garden table and swanky chairs for some outdoor dining.

I'm looking forward to using my bbq fish holder.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Ooh yes to all the above Gill. Cantilevered umbrellas are the bees! We have a bbq fish holder that's been hanging around for yonks but never used - very ornamental! :lol: :lol: :D Who gets whole fish that size these days?

LTC - very serious carnivore fest! Lamb is so great cooked on a fire.

To the cooking disappointments - onwards and upwards. Sounds like salt and tang deficits. I thought I'd test try a little side soupcon of unsweetened rhubarb with the salmon - one mouthful - awful! :lol: Has potential tho. :D I've done it sweetened with mackerel - very good btw.

We've got a whole slew of pumpkins and squash going mad in the veg garden, so stuffed and/or fried squash flowers will be on the agenda shortly.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 pm

RockyBVI wrote:I love the sound of that risotto OMCO. Do you have a recipe

So sorry for the delay Rocky, I’ve only just caught up :shock:

It was an oven baked risotto, we roasted wedges of fennel with sausages first for 20 minutes or so and then added vine tomatoes, stock, risotto rice, crushed garlic and fennel seeds. I think I added half a glass of white wine too. We added peas 10 minutes before the end and finished the dish with basil and parmesan. Sorry I can’t be more specific! I think I followed the rice/liquid ratio and time instructions for an oven baked risotto I’d looked at online but I can’t remember what or where :oops:

I tried butterbeer at Warner Bros Harry Potter studios yesterday - awful stuff!!! Loved the experience at the studio though.

We had baked sea bream with pearl barley, spinach, olives and romesco sauce tonight.

Tomorrow we are having sticky chicken wings, spiced potato wedges, corn on the cob, pico de gallo, sour cream, nachos, gem lettuce.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Lovely looking space Gill, I wish mine was as tidy!Have fun with the fish holder.
ZC I use mine for all sort of things - could for chicken pieces, fish fillets, skinny sausages etc. that might fall through the bars as well as whole fish.
Bbq lamb is so good, my favourite is a butterflied leg though I have to say the kebabs made from thin leg slices might be a contender. :yum

Postby Kacey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 pm

My husband (can't stop saying that word, please forgive me!) gave me Anna Jones's One Pot, Plan, Planet for my birthday, tonight I made the 'Piquant Smoked Paprika Pasta Bake' - it was fab! Could happily eat a second plateful.

If the rest of the book lives up to this recipe I'll be happy.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks KC2 and OMCO. I have historically not had much success with oven baked risotto but I might have another go!

Lunch yesterday was bits and pieces soup which was delicious. Dinner was white chicken chili which I had with roasted cauliflower rather than rice (which OH had)

Lunch will be more soup. Dinner will be salmon. Probably with noodles and n invented sauce but my mum has sent me a recipe for salmon with pesto that she says is lovely. I’m not sure how convinced I am….

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:25 am

Rocky salmon and pesto is lovely - there were a couple of mentions on the recent "pesto" thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5030&start=20
We had salmon yesterday, simply baked in foil with butter and lemon. We had it with Ayrshire potatoes and a big chopped salad. Jamie Oliver's "Bejewelled" pork with rice & beans and salad.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox