Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm

Honest Burgers looks good, Amy, we had one locally before covid that we kept meaning to go to, but now it's closed.

OH made a great JO tuna recipe a few nights ago, from his Italian book, called tonno di nonna fangita. You're supposed to use a large piece of tuna, but we have never had that so always made it with steaks, and it's delicious.

I found the recipe online here, in case anyone is interested: http://legacy.culinate.com/content/3360/index.html

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Great looking burgers Amy :yum

I quite like the sound of that recipe KC2 but I'm not a fan of fresh tuna I wonder if it would work with a piece of salmon or even pork fillet?

Sausages here too Rocky - hot dog style ones that we've not tried before. I'm slow frying some onions & mushrooms in OO, garlic, thyme, a good pinch of cayenne pepper and a splash of balsamic to have with them. Stuffed in a baguette it makes for a nice and easy meal.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Yes, I'm sure it would, LTC, certainly with the pork. I think it might be a bit too overpowering for salmon. I can imagine it well with the pork fillet we get at Waitrose.

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:01 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Yes, I'm sure it would, LTC, certainly with the pork. I think it might be a bit too overpowering for salmon. I can imagine it well with the pork fillet we get at Waitrose.

Yes I did wonder if salmon might get a bit lost.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 pm

I don’t usually post here’s because, as explained a million times, my OH has Alzheimer’s and will not entertain any kind of exciting food. Today we had sausages. Tomorrow will be mince. If I’m lucky I may be able to get away with fish and chips on Saturday. Sunday will be sausages again

I can cook. I did cook. Circumstances mean it’s not worth the effort. If you don’t want me on this board then please say.

Postby oat » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Please stay on this board.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 pm

I like the look of the tuna recipe too but so rarely see (or can afford) decent tuna I tend to not want to have it cooked anyway but the simplest. I wonder if a firm, white fish would work. Pork doesn't appeal.

Postby miss mouse » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:21 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t usually post here’s because, as explained a million times, my OH has Alzheimer’s and will not entertain any kind of exciting food. Today we had sausages. Tomorrow will be mince. If I’m lucky I may be able to get away with fish and chips on Saturday. Sunday will be sausages again

I can cook. I did cook. Circumstances mean it’s not worth the effort. If you don’t want me on this board then please say.

And very trying times they are for you PP, I marvel at your fortitude.

I have less trying circumstances but they have their own difficulties so perhaps I am unwelcome as well. Oh well, so be it.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am

That's a good looking tuna recipe KC2.

LTC - not sure if tomatoes and capers work brilliantly with salmon flavourwise (just me, tho) but would well with something like cod or swordfish or even mackerel fillets. Pork could good too - is your filet tenderloin KC2 because that would work well - but that's a different kettle of fish :lol:

Ok - this needs to be said and I hate to be one to say it - can we please keep the personal emotional stuff out of here?

Pepper Pig, stay or go, but why not make your OH what he likes and something else really interesting for yourself. I do that a lot. Go for it! :D

Garden Quiche - blue cornmeal subbed for polenta variation on KC2's tomato tart pastry

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:54 am

I hadn't clocked that the tomato tart pastry contained polenta. I realise it was a relatively small amount but would be interested to hear how it affected the 'mouth feel' (terrible expression!). Probably no different to ground rice in shortbread.

The quiche looks good, ZC.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:59 am

ZeroCook wrote:Pepper Pig, stay or go, but why not make your OH what he likes and something else really interesting for yourself. I do that a lot. Go for it! :D

I get what you are saying ZC but to be brutally honest the energy I expend on being a full-time carer leaves little "me time". It's bacon sandwiches and RTC Ready Meals for me mostly.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:29 am

Yes - please stay PP. You can't beat a good bacon sarnie in my opinion! I have so much admiration for you as a full time carer.

I had toad in the hole last night - most of it rose beautifully - with a few tiny slightly soggy bits which is perfect (for me). Had it with broccoli, peas and gravy. Leftovers for breakfast this morning :oops:

Not sure what today's plans are. We've had a shopping mishap (OH decided he wanted to go in to Sainsbury's rather than do an online shop - but was a bit hungover this morning from the cricket so wasn't up to it) - we have virtually no food.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I hadn't clocked that the tomato tart pastry contained polenta. I realise it was a relatively small amount but would be interested to hear how it affected the 'mouth feel' (terrible expression!). Probably no different to ground rice in shortbread.

The quiche looks good, ZC.

Whether it was the polenta, or the baking powder, or the olive oil, I don't know, but the pastry was wonderfully crisp. As I said, I generally avoid making traditional pastry as I don't seem to be able to get it right, but this was a revelation! I hope it is the same when I make it again.

I noticed in the picture in the magazine that Nigel Slater kind of folded the edge over - which I guess is why he suggested leaving the edge all round without any filling. He didn't actually say that in the instructions, but I think I will definitely try that next time.

ZC, it certainly does look good :yum

Btw, I've taken to adding some fine polenta to my crumble topping, as well as the usual plain flour and oats, and it gives it a lovely colour and is also very light.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:58 pm

I have made a chilli today, half for tonight and the rest for the freezer.
I confess I use a packet spice mix for everyday chilli. Other (inauthentic) ingredients are
Minced beef, mushrooms, onion, garlic, an extra chilli, tin of tomatoes and a tin of chilli beans.
We like it pretty hot.

It sticks to the pan every single time.
Today I have decanted it into a fresh pan and the original is in soak.

I have tried adding the mix bit by bit, mixing it with water, stirring it through the mushrooms and onions which I start off separately.

Any suggestions folks?

Postby Suffs » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Maybe try softening the onions and garlic, then adding and browning the beef, then stir in the seasoning mix and cook it all together for a while before adding the toms, any other veg, stock and then the beans. It should cook out any ‘flouriness’ in the mix and perhaps avoid any tendency to stick … maybe? :crossed

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 pm

Hi all, I need to do some reading back to catch up but that is a fine looking quiche ZC!

We have been away in Cornwall and London and in between cooking lots from Just one pan by Jane Lovett. India Knight recommended the book a few months back and it really suits our midweek cooking. We’ve made fried sausage meat gnocchi, toad in the veg patch, butternut squash & kale gratin with walnut and parsley crumble, creamy leek/potato/parmesan/chicken thigh tray bake, Thai style pot roast chicken & noodles, and chocolate, raspberry & seasalt brownies. All pretty good!

Plus lots of quesadillas and breakfast muffins!

I’ve picked all the blackcurrants from the garden and have immediately frozen them to add to last years haul :? Any ideas for ways to use some up?

I will read back now for some inspiration for next week

Postby dennispc » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:20 am

Blackcurrants. Last year made a compote from them and added them to morning muesli.

The dish a grandson taught me - chicken with crispy kale and mango chutney sauce. Not well presented and didn't eat all those potatoes!

chicken mango.jpg
chicken mango.jpg (191.86 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:33 am

AmyW had blackcurrant ice cream made with clotted cream the other day which she declared the best!

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:39 am

that would be my choice, too. had some years ago, at an n.t.property, and it was gorgeous.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:45 am

dennispc wrote:Blackcurrants. Last year made a compote from them and added them to morning muesli.

The dish a grandson taught me - chicken with crispy kale and mango chutney sauce. Not well presented and didn't eat all those potatoes!

I would have easily eaten all those potatoes :thumbsup :yum :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox