Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:49 pm

LTC that looks amazing . I normally have a cheat meal once a week and that’s shot to the top of my list .

Scullion that sounds like an amazing mezze feast .

PP yes that vegan ice cream is good isn’t it . I think ice cream is one of those things that seems to be veganised very well

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:08 pm

That Junemas feast sounds wonderful Scullion, right up my street, in fact I’ve made several of those dishes myself. Might make some falafel on Thursday, though modified as no cumin or coriander - dill is good

I have seen on American cookery shows what they call “French dip” meat sandwiches. Not sure where the French accent comes in but those look good LTC

I am playing with my cheap Instant Pot Mini copy, I cooked butter beans under pressure earlier, soaked overnight, then just press the button. You don’t really need to soak, but they are less inclined to split or shed their skins if you do. It now has a batch of ratatouille in slow cooker mode, looking very good when I gave it a cautious stir. I’ll have some with 4 cheese tortellini I think

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Yes Sue I think "French dip" is probably the same thing.
Floating skins from butter beans in soup put me off them as child, it was the only way we ever had them. I love them as an adult though usually use tinned unless I'm making soup in which case take the skins off before I cook them as I'm still not keen otherwise. Nigel Slater does a very good chicken recipe with rosemary and butter beans using cooked beans if you are looking for ways to use the batch up. (Though I only use one tin of beans for two portions.) https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ary-recipe

Amy yes it was rather naughty for a Monday night but worth it. :D ;)

PP - JD marinated steak sounds lovely, I've had vodka marinated rump before (a Nigella recipe) and it was really good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:51 pm

LTC, apparently the JD steak is prominent on TGI Friday menus!

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:LTC, apparently the JD steak is prominent on TGI Friday menus!

Don't think I've been in a TGI's since 2004, when we stopped overnight in Cheltenham en route to Newquay. The kids loved it but it was burgers all round and if I remember correctly I had rather potent Bailey's based cocktail that looked more like pudding than a drink. :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:57 pm

I have heard of the JD steak but not tried it. I think it would be very good.

'Old Fashioned' for me at TGIs ... mmmmm!

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:56 pm

Wet and grey here today and I've been busy so keeping it nice and easy - sausages, mash (from a batch I made for the freezer), carrots, green beans, flat mushrooms and a spot of instant gravy.

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:17 am

LTC - we had almost exactly the same last night but with broccoli as the veg. Had grand plans for fish but we didn’t get home until 7:30.

We have the most ridiculously useless tiny freezer in this tiny rented flat. I am going to have to try defrosting it- which means the next few days’ meals will have to be based around what’s in there. It’s so small there isn’t much - some chicken, pork mince more sausages and pitta….

I might try to do something interesting with the pork mince this evening - any inspired ideas?

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 am

Not sure if it counts as inspired but pork burgers or meatballs are one of my favourites Rocky, perhaps stuffed with some salad in the pitta?

Naan bread pizzas and salad for use tonight.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:50 am

RockyBVI wrote:might try to do something interesting with the pork mince this evening - any inspired ideas?

Laab?

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 pm

we used to do a lovely meatloaf with pork mince

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas. All lovely. I love laap/laab. I attended a cooking school in Laos and the instructor swore it wasn’t the same without toasted crushed rice. I’m pretty sure it’s not make or break for the relative novice. I have been making pork lettuce wraps recently so this could be a natural progression.

I love both meatballs and meatloaf so thanks for the LinkPP and KC2 if you have a meatloaf recipe you like I’d love to hear.

I was wfh today and realised that there was also some smoked haddock in a flat pack in the freezer so made a kind of fish pie. OH has been licking his plate so it has obviously been ok!

Thanks all

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:19 pm

Hard to go wrong with smoked haddock/mash combos Rocky, no wonder OH was licking his plate :D
Not sure what recipe you are using for the lettuce cups but these are on my "to make" list https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... sour-salad

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:55 pm

After a rather frustrating morning involving roads being dug up and therefore closed between here and the excellent fishmonger, I am running quite late.

Currently enjoying a poached egg on Marmite toast and my morning coffee.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:09 pm

I must get the second portion of the butterflied sardines out of the freezer. I will coat them with harissa, grill them, and serve with new pots, green beans and ratatouille.

The slow cooker ratatouille is very good

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Not exactly cooking.
Tonight is dressed crab, new potatoes and a salad.

Then bed at 10pm as I'm working again tomorrow.
Extra hours, not really wanted but helping out as 20 year-old colleague has tested positive.

It was difficult to persuade him to wear a mask and observe the hygiene procedures the company put in place.
Is it mean to hope he feels a bit grim for a few days?

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Oh lovely choices Sue & WW.
I've been busy sorting kebabs for tomorrow. Thinly sliced lamb for one type and minced lamb for the other.
Usual Friday night easy option for me, my son is having a takeaway curry but I didn't fancy one, instead it will be breaded haddock, baked spud, spinach and peas.
PS- No I don't think your mean WW ;)

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:54 am

I don’t think you’re mean either WW.

LTC - thanks for that link. My lettuce cup mince is a bit of a mishmash of others but not dissimilar to that. And as I’ve discovered we also have a few prawns to use up I am going to make the prawn noodle dish this evening - so thank you.

Sausage sandwiches for lunch - to use up sausages. We are getting there!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:59 am

Snap, LTC.
Pinchos last evening. I have run out of all curry paste and curry powders without realizing.
Had to use garam masala, which was aromatic but worked.
And tortilla the night before.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox