Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:36 am

What is white Pizza ? The base is white, the (mozzarella) cheese is white, so no tomatoes ?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:49 am

I thought it was the one with a Bechamel sauce topping. I love that with garlicky veg and maybe sausage pieces. I suppose if liver and bacon was chopped up it would be similar - maybe!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:59 am

The recipe I’ve looked at just says pizza with no sauce

This is possibly a good place to say that in Lidl on Monday I saw JusRol pizza dough in the chiller cabinet with the pizza which interested me as I couldn’t find ready made pizza dough when people mentioned it before, but JusRol is usually easy to find

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:21 am

I usually think of bechamel for a white pizza.
Thai green chicken & veg curry for us this evening.

Postby miss mouse » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:What is white Pizza ? The base is white, the (mozzarella) cheese is white, so no tomatoes ?

It means no tomato sauce according to my extensive research on the internet.

Postby smitch » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:26 pm

I’ve had white pizza with and without a creamy sauce under the cheese. I think I prefer the sauce version but I like them both.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The recipe I’ve looked at just says pizza with no sauce

This is possibly a good place to say that in Lidl on Monday I saw JusRol pizza dough in the chiller cabinet with the pizza which interested me as I couldn’t find ready made pizza dough when people mentioned it before, but JusRol is usually easy to find

Tht's interesting Sue, as I used to get own brand from Asda online, it then disappeared for a bit and when I checked it out in the other online supermarkets, they didn't have any either, not even a branded one.
However, it then appeared again in Asda so I got some and have it in the fridge. It keeps for ages, much beyond the date.

Curiously it doesn't come up in the search on Asda, the only way I've managed to order it is either by going back to one of my previous orders or, when it is there, putting it in a "list" that Asda allows you to do and then ordering it from that.

Ah, I just did a search for "ready roll" and it seems that they've introduced a considerably more expensive Pizza Express pizza dough. They don't list their own brand but if I order it from a previous list, it's there: https://groceries.asda.com/product/othe ... 0005208161

Postby herbidacious » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:45 pm

In our last place, there was a pizza company that did a whie pizza with pear, pine nut and walnut (and cheese. Possibly some blue cheese was involved). I am not sure what the white sauce was. I imagine one could use creme fraiche. I think traditionally there is no sauce, but something saucy is nice imo.

I am sure the major pizza chains used to do one, but they don't seem to any more.
Checking this, I noticed Zizzi and Ask have very similar sites. They are indeed part of the same company.

My local does this: Blue Truffle
(No Tomato Sauce) Fiordilatte Mozzarella, Portobello Mushrooms, Gorgonzola, Truffle Oil, Walnuts, Balsamic Glaze, Parsley.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Love the sound of that blue truffle pizza herbi.

With the lamb last night we made a really delicious side dish. We had a lot of greens to use up which we chopped, blanched and then braised for 45 minutes or so with red wine, passata, rosemary, black garlic and smoked paprika. I added a tiny bit of feta at the end for extra seasoning. It was really rather good with pink lamb and salty crispy potatoes.

I'm out with school mum friends tonight. I always order the sticky aubergine and halloumi burger with Asian slaw and sweet potato fries. Ooh it's good.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Re pizzas, I sometimes replace the tomato base with pesto.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Sorry, forgot I'd posted on this thread :oops: .

I think white pizza is whatever you want it to be. Obviously no tomato sauce layer, to be replaced with bechamel/ricotta/mascarpone etc or no sauce at all.

On the Pizza Express recipes (can be googled) there is a carbonara pizza recipe that uses bechamel.

We used bechamel. I think in the main I prefer tomato sauce, however I do think there will be times I'd make white pizza - maybe with garlic mushrooms perhaps.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Talking of white pizza, my friend's son's new pizza joint's October special looks delicious!

https://www.facebook.com/basefacepizzauk/

Postby Amyw » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Campfire stew tonight , perfect ribsticking food for the cold dark nights

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:51 pm

That looks gorgeous, Amyw :yum

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:47 am

It does indeed look gorgeous. I’m still making my way through the cauliflowers. I roasted some last night with sprouts and bacon. Really rather nice. Ima bit manic at work as I leave for Kazakhstan (for work) on Monday so have neither been to the shops nor managed to sort out an online order. So dinner might be a takeaway. Over the weekend we are planning lamb steaks one evening - might try ltc’s link.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:19 am

The pizza place does look good, KC2. I had to look up a couple of ingredients mentioned on the site - I don't think they're huge in provincial parts yet :lol: :lol:.

I've seen your campfire stew pic on my phone a couple of times. AmyW. It looks so much better on my laptop! Quite delicious in fact.

I had a rtc bargain tonight which had been stashed in the freezer. Sea Bass stuffed with roast tomato and olives. It was really a tomatoey tapenade and absolutely delicious with the fish. Would be very easy to make from scratch I think. I'd certainly have it again (which as there's another one left in the pack is just as well!).

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:18 am

Amyw wrote:I think bacons so hard to replicate in a vegetarian substitute .. I use quorn chicken a fair bit . The mince is ok too and if I fancy a bit of trashy food , their nuggets are good in a wrap

What about smoked tofu? Different in many ways but has the smokey flavour of course. Could add salt or salty condiments and sizzle until crispy for that sort of thing for texture.

Your retrieval sounds very good EM. Tomatoey olivey tapenade sounds perfect with bass or that type of fish.

Nothing earth shatteringly different or interesting or new of late. Batch of prepped uncooked felafel in the fridge - very easy choice for lunches or light suppers. Lots of squash and pumpkin from the garden, and tomatoes, and end of rocket. Classic hamburgers a couple of nights ago with hm brioche buns, green chile strips and all the usual fixings.

Looking for something - possibly Chinese or Korean - for pork stir fry strips. Or Mex. Or something else.

Agree with Slimpers on white pizza - pretty much anything goes except tomato sauce. I sometimes use pesto, sometimes goat cheese with herbs, caramelised onions pissaladiere style with herbs, have used salsa verde, which is also very good. Haven't made pizza for ages ... might have to ....

Especially as friend's pizza place looks so seriously good, KC2. Feel in need of a really good pizza .... expect you've eaten there :D All looks so good I'd have a really hard time making up my my mind!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 am

The main problem with faux bacon seems to be the texture. There are a great many different brands out there now. They are all a bit soft and arguably slimy before cooking Tendency to go dry when cooked. I actually like most of them. (Some are better than others. Some are really expensive.)

One I really like at the moment as an ingredient (rather than to eat as a thing in itself) is this:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Pro ... ieces-175g

I try to always have some in the freezer. It defrosts very quickly and is particularly good in in omelettes. It has a good texture with enough 'chew'.

I have always found smoked tofu too subtle in flavour - it seems to disappear when you cook with it.

I have a recipe for mushroom 'bacon' but it's probably for vegans only ;)

I have not cooked for a while now. (Apart from doing Stokey Sue's roast miso veg last night.) Will need to make something tonight with roast tomatoes, but after that... the Sainsbury's magazine has some adaptable wintery one pots that appeal. I feel like I have been in limbo all week. All interests and enjoyable pursuits (of which cooking is one, as is eating nice things) have been put on hold. Time to get going again.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Smashing looking stew Amy :yum
I love the sound of your sea bass dish EM.
I've not much cooking planned until tomorrow. Last night I ended up with tinned ravioli mixed with peas & broad beans with a sprinkle of cheese on top. For tonight I've a portion of liver & bacon defrosting, slimpersoninside's post re her OH's pizza gave me a notion. I'll have it with mash, also from the freezer and some steamed veg.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Felicity's paella tonight.
I have all the ingredients except mussels and I'm not going out specially for them in the rain.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox