Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby liketocook » Tue May 25, 2021 11:44 am

Yep asparagus buying can be a bit of minefield. I don't think I'll be getting any local stuff this year it's been a poor crop and what's gathered is destined for hotels rather than the farm shop.
We both enjoyed the ginger chicken yesterday, it was as good as I remembered. :yum
Another old Ainsley favourite for dinner tonight - Chilli & cheese meatballs with tomato sauce and tagliatelle.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 25, 2021 6:26 pm

have had a bash at this cheese and potato pie
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ic-recipes

We really liked it, using cheddar and blue stilton worked absolutely fine.
The little pops of mint added interest too.

I halved the recipe and baked it for one hour, reducing the temperature half way through.
It went well with a mixed salad and coleslaw.

Postby Amyw » Tue May 25, 2021 7:22 pm

A very beige plate of food ! Chicken roasted with za’tar and lemon , braised fennel and onions with tomatoes and Cornish new potatoes roasted in with the chicken . The new potatoes were gorgeous

Postby liketocook » Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback WW, I've earmarked for when the weather picks up and I can have the family round for an outdoor meal.
Nothing wrong with beige Amy, especially when it looks as tasty as your plateful. :yum

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 26, 2021 7:42 am

It may look beige Amy but it looks delicious. I had salad and halloumi for lunch yesterday. Dinner was chicken and veg Thai green curry with rice noodles. OH fancies pasta for dinner and we have lardons in the fridge so I’ll put my thinking cap on.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm

A rather scruffy photo of yesterday's chilli & cheese meatballs, they were very tasty.
IMG_20210525_203656[10413].jpg

Salmon, Jersey Royals, asparagus and green beans for dinner this evening.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Postby Gruney2 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Tonight, I'll be making "Pork in Almond Sauce", from Rick Stein's "Spain". One porton tonight, then it'll be just the job tomorrow evening, when I get back from a couple of hours with my Friday early doors friends.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu May 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Just taken a look at that recipe, Gruney, and it looks really good - let us know how it turns out.

Ditto ltc. And your chili cheese meatballs look right up Mr0's alley :D

Tonight something tbd with two pieces of beef sitting in the fridge.

Did a falafel taste test yesterday - made two versions - my old t&t'ed usual and another from a middle eastern cookbook that I wanted to try. My old recipe was crisper, the new recipe had more ground cumin and coriander, no fresh coriander or parsley, but more besan, less light, more dense but liked the added spices. Will stick to the t&ted which has parsley and fresh coriander which I like and slightly notch up the spices, which I did.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Tonight will be pasta with HB's bolognese ragu.
And lots of parmesan.

Half to go in the freezer if we are disciplined.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:38 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Just taken a look at that recipe, Gruney, and it looks really good - let us know how it turns out.

I've done it before - it's really very good with a quite mild flavour. You just have to keep your eye on the simmering (as mine is at the moment) - it's easy to have it get a bit dry.

Give it a go - I don't think you'll be sorry

Postby ZeroCook » Fri May 28, 2021 8:02 am

Will do, Gruney.

Which Heston recipe do you like/use, WW? I've seen a few. One is notoriously fiddly, another less so.

The beef became carne asada fajitas with tortillas, Yucatan red onion escabeche, tomatillo salsa, beans, Mex rice, tomato & cucumber spears. Lots of bits.

Also made prawn balchao pickle, a fave, to use up extra onions.

Anyone know if or why ordinary yellow/brown cooking onions get very strong? Is it over time/long storage or are some varieties just very hot? I used some in an escabeche last week and it was practically inedible - should have used sweet/mild onions, but was really surprised at the intensity and overpowering heat. Hence the balchao.

Postby jeral » Fri May 28, 2021 2:38 pm

Re onions or garlic, whenever I cut them in half, tip to root, if the middle has a green stem I fish it out as that's the strong bit which can be unpleasant - I think it becomes so with age. <- Something I read somewhere.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri May 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Yesterday was soup at work (leftovers blitzed - strangely delicious). Dinner was a bit of a disaster. OH was invited for a drink that was kind of a posh job interview. It was meant to be 6:30-7:30. At 8:45 I still hadn't heard anything so I decided to have the lone scotch egg in the fridge with some salad. The egg was off and OH had finished the salad so I went to bed. He got home at 11:30 (promising on the job front, hopefully).

Working from home today and have just had a fish finger sandwich. OH has requested white chicken chilli for dinner. It is a Giada (US Food Network recipe) that has fennel seeds and other loveliness in it that I have been cooking for years. I'd recommend it!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Hope he gets the job Rocky!

I like Giada but don't use many of her recipes

I haven't really made anything interesting this week, I did have proper pasta Genovese, cooked pasta with a diced spud and some cabbage, used homemade pesto from the freezer, I freeze it made to add cheese and more oil when used

Postby ZeroCook » Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks for that Jeral. Also occurred to me that this time of year unless they're from the southern hemisphere most onions are last years harvest and have been around quite a while.

Blitzed leftovers soup sounds intriguing RBVI. The chicken chilli flavourings do look good. Does the minced chicken get lost a bit? Tho good organic chicken would come thru. You're probably ravenous for a good supper after missing out! :D

Proper pasta genovese is quite a feat and not to be sneezed at Stokey! Or did your spellcheck mean proper pesto genovese and also not to be sneezed at 8-) Very nice.

Tempeh on the menu tonight. Might do something like a crispy fried tempeh southeast asian-y peanut sauce noodle dish or something similar. Also a reason to get out the pasta/noodle maker which hasn't been used in a while.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/peanu ... h-crumbles

How do people like to do tempeh? Any faves?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 28, 2021 7:03 pm

What are "Persian" cucumbers? Are they what I have also known as Lebanese cucumbers, the small ones, that are a little drier than the larger English cucumbers?

I used to make a Madhur Jaffrey dish with tempeh, fried until it looked toasted then folded into a shallot & tamarind sauce, from Indonesia I think, this weeks was Ching's in a teriyaki sauce, not something I cook much not least because I think it's only really nice if fried until really crisp

Postby jeral » Fri May 28, 2021 8:25 pm

A real shaggy dog week, starting with the squash, red & yellow pepper and blackbean chilli, then reserved squash with petit pois, fennel and cheese pasties, then whole sea bream lemon/garlic Med style with reserved peppers and some sauteed mushrooms, and today the remaining mushrooms turned into soup, with some nicked as sauce for remaining bream and rice and broc tonight, and most mushroom soup saved as the gravy for filled Yorks Puds tomorrow.

I've been fancying YPs all week as it's still been comfort food weather if not in direct sun. Hoping it'll change to salad weather next week as forecast 8-)

Postby liketocook » Fri May 28, 2021 8:37 pm

Did you enjoy the chilli jeral?
Some lovely looking & sounding food on the go. :yum I've never really made proper falafel after a couple of disasters though did try Nadiya's baked bean version last summer and they were surprisingly good. https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/na ... an-falafel
We really enjoyed the pepper & chicken jalfrezi traybake, definitely one I'll make again.
Today I've attempted a raspberry & chocolate mousse cake, so far so good it just needs to set now ready to get topped with the berries tomorrow. :crossed
No proper cooking here tonight - steak & haggis pies, air fried oven chips, peas and broad beans. Some instant gravy may well feature. :)

Postby Amber » Fri May 28, 2021 10:40 pm

We had this, it was delicious. And very healthy (apart from the accompanying wine :oops: :shock: :D ).

https://www.mindfulchef.com/healthy-rec ... -poke-bowl

Pre Covid, I would use about 140g rice for two of us. Thanks to Mindful Chef, I now use about 80g - 50g for him, and 30g for me. And it’s more than enough, with all the extra veg we’re eating :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox