Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:56 am

Some gorgeous sounding food. My new job is suddenly very busy (this is good - I hate the ‘new job, feel useless’ phase) so I haven’t been posting. A couple of things of note - over the bank holiday walked fromChiswick to Butlers Wharf (about 14 miles along the river) and felt we’d earned the gorgeous lunch. I had salmon tartare to start and then chicken pie. OH had chicken livers on toast followed by bavette. We shared chips and amazing mushrooms. On Wednesday I had a work lunch and had the most amazing asparagus I’ve ever had, it had shavings of Parmesan and several blobs of something delicious. Last night OH made bacon and sprout linguine - absolutely delicious!

We are off to stay with some friends this evening. They are very ‘hearty’ cooks so something very light for lunch. Probably a salad with feta and avocado.

Gorgeous sounding food. The seafood obviously - but I love the idea of the Swede wedges.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:46 am

Sounds delicious Rocky. I didn't realize you were back in the UK.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:36 pm

liketocook wrote:Lol KC2 - I've only defrosted enough sausages for one and they're mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

You won't get away with it so easily next time, LTC :lol: :lol:

Nice, unplanned lunch today. I had half a packet of feta left from a couple of days ago and wanted to use it before it went off. Fed up with the usual crumbled feta on roast veg and couldn't be bothered to make a quiche so baked it in foil in the oven with some evoo and sprigs of oregano.
I served it on some chickpeas and spinach (I only had frozen) fried with with finely chopped red onion, cumin and lemon.
It was delicious!

Lovely pic, Amy :D

Patsy, hope the salmon lived up to expectations ....

Rocky, that is quite some hike! How long did it take? Presumably you had to make some detours via roads when the Thames Path petered out? But hopefully not too many.
And you definitely deserved your meal at Butlers Wharf. We've never been there but went once in its opening week to Le Pont de la Tour when they were discounting.

Turkey steaks tonight, finishing up the pack after stir fry with greens, ginger and udon noodles a couple of nights ago. Probably with the end of a tomato sauce OH made last night to have with seafood and pasta.
Attachments
DSC_0860.JPG
DSC_0860.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 pm

I´ve made "empanadas" ( turnovers) today. You can buy packets of ready-cut circles of pastry in the supermarkets, so all that´s needed is to fill them - this time with minced meat and veg - double them over and freeze them.Perfect for breakfast, or as an evening snack.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:58 am

I'm borrowing your feta dish idea KC2, just my kind of thing.
Today I'm spatchcocking a chicken and marinating it in some peri peri sauce ready to roast it later. Ww'll probably have it with baked spuds and salad.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:36 pm

We usually have sourdough pizzas on Saturday ... but today we're having a change, due to a lack of mozzarella and an abundance of smoked haddock I'm making James Martin's Tart Brioche with smoked haddock and cheese .......... I've been lusting after this ever since he cooked it for Johnny Vegas some weeks ago ... he used Tunworth, but I couldn't get any this week ... however Camembert will be a more than adequate substitute I'm sure. :yum
We'll have it with a green salad.

https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recip ... nd-cheese/

Edited to add: I've just read the method on that link ... it makes no sense ... some cutting and pasting seems to have gone awry ... fortunately I watched him make it on tv so I can remember roughly what he did and I've a head on my shoulders.
At present the dough is in a lined tart tin and resting, with the cheese sitting in the middle of it (top sliced off scattered with rosemary) .......... 40 mins before suppertime I'll cut the smoked haddock into large chunks, arrange on top and bake.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Oh I like the sound of that tart suffs :yum

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Suffs wrote:We usually have sourdough pizzas on Saturday ... but today we're having a change, due to a lack of mozzarella and an abundance of smoked haddock I'm making James Martin's Tart Brioche with smoked haddock and cheese .......... I've been lusting after this ever since he cooked it for Johnny Vegas some weeks ago ... he used Tunworth, but I couldn't get any this week ... however Camembert will be a more than adequate substitute I'm sure. :yum
We'll have it with a green salad.

https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recip ... nd-cheese/

Edited to add: I've just read the method on that link ... it makes no sense ... some cutting and pasting seems to have gone awry ... fortunately I watched him make it on tv so I can remember roughly what he did and I've a head on my shoulders.
At present the dough is in a lined tart tin and resting, with the cheese sitting in the middle of it (top sliced off scattered with rosemary) .......... 40 mins before suppertime I'll cut the smoked haddock into large chunks, arrange on top and bake.

See what you mean about the method suffs and is it really 25g yeast (seems like a lot to me but I've never made brioche)?

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:19 pm

I think the 25g is for fresh yeast ... I used half a teaspoonful of Doves' Farm Quick yeast which seems to be working just fine.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:34 pm

Suffs wrote:I think the 25g is for fresh yeast ... I used half a teaspoonful of Doves' Farm Quick yeast which seems to be working just fine.

Thanks that makes senses.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:42 pm

KC2 - love that idea for feta. The walk took us about three and a quarter hours. We mostly walked on the south side of the river and there wasn’t a lot of road detour. A little bit of fiddling about around Battersea Power station but all in all not bad.

Last night’s dinner at our friends was lovely - we had minced lamb kebabs, skewered peppers and halloumi, asparagus and corn on the cob. Then lots of lovely cheese. This morning was bacon, eggs and toast with them in the garden before heading home. No need for lunch. I think dinner is ‘bits’ I’ve made the quinoa salad with pomegranate from BBCGoodFood which I love and I might grill some halloumi. And a :cocktail:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:47 pm

The JM concoction looks delicious! Very rich too.

Everyone else is having lovely things. I had plans for chicken and coconut curry but can't be bothered. I think some sort of salad including beans or chickpeas will be fine.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Patsy, hope the salmon lived up to expectations ....

It certainly did :thumbsup :yum I have only recently discovered a new setting on my oven where I can cut out the fan and get top heat too ... This is ideal for small stuff such as the salmon. I also thinly sliced half a (large) courgette, and a thick sliced a couple of cooked potatoes and sprinkled them thinly with the breadcrumb and grated cheese and they all cooked in the same time.

It was a day of firsts for me today... Yesterday I popped into Waitrose (in Northwood) and found not only the raw sauerkraut as mentioned by Earthmaiden, but the Gochujang chilli paste that others have raved about. As it mentions using the paste with kimchi, I thought I would mix some in with the sauerkraut and it was quite delicious :yum :thumbsup :yum :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:11 pm

I'm doing this in the IP tonight. It's always delicious. Jersey Royals and various veg to accompany.

https://healinggourmet.com/healthy-reci ... r-chicken/

Strawberries and cream for pud.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Looks nice PP.

Glad you found the Sauerkraut Pat.

My hotch pitch supper turned out rather well. It wasn't really a salad or a curry. Tinned chickpeas sauteed with various veg, ginger and garlic then simmered in coconut milk until it had almost evaporated. Tahini added and spinach, yogurt and a handful of mixed salted nuts at the end. It worked really well, I'll probably do similar with the remaining chickpeas and coconut milk later.

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:14 pm

tonight, we will mainly be eating leftovers.
there are only two pita breads - hopefully they won't be testing the smoke alarm this time.

Postby liketocook » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Lovely sounding meals being eaten folks. :yum
Jersey Royals here tonight too with leftover piri piri chicken and salad. I'll probably cook extra potatoes to use up tomorrow with the rest of the chook.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:52 pm

Pat, glad it lived up to expectations .... <phew> :lol:

Rocky, that's pretty impressive, I must say :clap :clap You must have roughly worked out how long in advance so you could book your well-earned lunch!

Smoked salmon quiche in the oven atm ... I adore smoked salmon, OH can take it or leave it, but I was sorely tempted by rather more of the cook's perks than I would usually indulge in :lol: :lol:

We've been more restrained than usual with the lemon drizzle from a few days ago, so have still got enough for a really nice pudd, probably with some Greek yogurt :yum

Postby Binky » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:05 pm

This is the first time we've done this but were short of time and energy tonight. Pasta with a mushroom creamy garlic sauce. So easy and tasty. Will do this again for sure.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:08 pm

So much cooking goodness goin on!

KC2 your feta and chickpea bake looks delish - lovely idea. I keep feta in salt brine in jar in the fridge - lasts for ages but there too comes a time. Salmon quiche is so good and I would certainly have extra cook's perks salmon bits too :D

KDKA - precut empanada dough sounds v handy and useful for all kinds of things other than empanadas. Do you partake of your mince and pots ones or do you make yourself veggie versions?

LTC, seriously love piri pri chicken - it's that time of year again and haven't done it in a pandemic's age ...

That's a very impressively quick roasted chicken, Peppa Pig.

Lovely sounding kebab and skewer meal, RockyBVI - veg are so good done over a fire.

Last night was tweaked ramajon salad - oranges, kalamata olives and some of the brine in the dressing, red onion, tomatoes, white balsamic and evoo, black pepper, bits of feta instead of salt cod shreds for starters follwed by pasta puttanesca topped with shaved Asiago and capers - wholewheat linguine, tuna in the sauce with oil cured olives, anchovies, tomato, etc and all the other usual bits.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox