Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:13 am

I got home from work at 7.45 tonight.
J is working up in Newcastle for a few days so I had to fend for myself :evil:

A cold chicken leg with rice and a HM spinach sauce from the freezer was all I could be bothered with.
And a couple of glasses of wine.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:21 am

A bit of left-over puff pastry in the fridge.
Swiss chard and onions fried in olive oil, with a touch of cumin and cinnamon; a tomato added to the mixture and some chopped walnuts & sultanas. Made a sort of pastry roll with that; baked in the oven for 35 mins. Then I rescued a sweet potato from the depths of the veg tray in the fridge, boiled it with a potato (just so there was enough for two), and made mash. Yum.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:41 am

Lovely combo, KC2.

And nice pastry roll combo there, too KDKA.

Did a rack of spareribs for Monday holiday - been winking at me from the freezer since last year. Old favourite - overnight peach, apricot, chili sauce marinade, made a rub, did a long slow roast, homemade bbq sauce, potato salad, coleslaw, naan for bread. Summer is here. :D

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:36 am

I'm drooling at the sound of those ribs ZC.
Though tbh I'm drooling at all the food combos posted.
A mini bbq for us tonight just burgers and corn. I might make some potato salad but I'm otherwise it's all coming from the supermarket including some "plastic" cheese lol.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:50 pm

Tonight I have a Tesco vegan pie, which was reduced to 50p so I couldn't resist it.
I'm having it with a few wedges, peas and HP sauce.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm

WolfGirl wrote:Wow, OMCO.

You always seem to have lovely sounding food but that lot sounds amazing.

Would that be your normal bank holiday weekend intake or are you away?

Definitely away! I had a beautiful mackerel burger with horseradish and pickled red onions for lunch today. We canoed to a different island earlier and bought some extortionate steaks from the deli there. I was so concerned about the shopping going overboard on the way home and was ready to dive into the sea to save the steaks :lol: Dinner was steak, chips and garlic buttered greens.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:06 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Ah, it worked! Here it is, Amyw. We didn't have any pecorino so used grana padano. And rocket and basil pesto.

Roasted Salmon Fillets with a Crusted Pecorino and Pesto Topping

This recipe, invented by my good friend Lin Cooper, started life under the grill, but now, in my attempt to more or less eliminate the grill, I'm happy to say that it cooks very happily and easily in a high oven.
One word of warning, though: it works much better with fresh pesto sauce from supermarkets than it does with the bottled kind.

Serves 2

Ingredients
2 x 5-6 oz (150-175 g) salmon fillets, about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick, skinned
1 rounded tablespoon finely grated Pecorino cheese
2 level tablespoons fresh pesto sauce
juice ½ lemon
2 level tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
salt and freshly milled black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 8, 450°F (230°C).
Equipment
You will also need a baking tray measuring 10 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35 cm), covered in foil and lightly oiled.

Method
Begin by trimming the fillets if needed, and run your hand over the surface of the fish to check that there aren't any stray bones lurking. Now place the fish on the prepared baking tray and give each one a good squeeze of lemon juice and a seasoning of salt and pepper.

Next, give the pesto a good stir and measure 2 tablespoons into a small bowl, mix one-third of the breadcrumbs with it to form a paste and spread this over both fish fillets.
Then, mix half the cheese with the remaining breadcrumbs and scatter this over the pesto, then finish off with the remaining cheese.
Now place the baking tray on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 10 minutes, by which time the top should be golden brown and crispy and the salmon just cooked and moist.

Serve with steamed new potatoes.

I have just taken a salmon steak out of the freezer ;) :thumbsup :yum

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm

I'm home alone tonight and a sausage baguette with mustard, onions and mushrooms is planned. :yum

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm

liketocook, have you tried American mustard with such things? My son is a big fan of it for some of the fake meat things he makes.

I'm going from the sublime to the ridiculous today by having the remaining scallops for lunch, simply S&P with a bit of Bramley apple & lemon sauce and fennel, then a Fray Bentos cheese & onion tin pie for tea. I probably won't like the filling so will make a splodge of earthy spicy spinach too, but I'm hoping the pastry is how I remember it from decades ago, i.e. ultra crispy with soggy underside ;) :lol:

OneMoreCheekyOne, it probably all tastes ten times better with the first-time sun and fresh air to remember too. All lovely. Enough lobster for a roll would be outside my budget but I'm wondering how the mackerel for the burger was cooked? Ta.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:09 pm

jeral wrote:liketocook, have you tried American mustard with such things? My son is a big fan of it for some of the fake meat things he makes.

I'm going from the sublime to the ridiculous today by having the remaining scallops for lunch, simply S&P with a bit of Bramley apple & lemon sauce and fennel, then a Fray Bentos cheese & onion tin pie for tea. I probably won't like the filling so will make a splodge of earthy spicy spinach too, but I'm hoping the pastry is how I remember it from decades ago, i.e. ultra crispy with soggy underside ;) :lol:

OneMoreCheekyOne, it probably all tastes ten times better with the first-time sun and fresh air to remember too. All lovely. Enough lobster for a roll would be outside my budget but I'm wondering how the mackerel for the burger was cooked? Ta.

Yep jeral though it will be the IKEA yellow stuff going on it tonight. :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:14 pm

liketocook wrote:I'm home alone tonight and a sausage baguette with mustard, onions and mushrooms is planned. :yum

hmm, you may not find that you're home alone tonight, ltc ... :lol:

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Tonight, I'll be doing a chicken breast, with a cream and tarragon sauce. I've also seen a recipe I fancy, for pan fried salmon with a similar sauce. This provokes me to ask about something I feel I 've read about some time ago. Farmed salmon - do you have to watch how frequently you have it?

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Not sure about recommendations and data for frequency of eating farmed salmon and there are different versions of raising farmed salmon, but basically they're all fed greater or lesser amounts of colouring, they're all much fattier than wild fish, and all have a lot less good omega 3 fats and a lot more saturated fat. And depending on the source, possible antibiotics. I don't buy farmed salmon anymore and haven't for quite some time. Prefer to pay more and eat less sustainably caught wild salmon. But that's just me.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:40 pm

I'd go for it too, ZC, but I can't remember the last time I saw it in my local supermarket.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Like all things farmed there are variations on welfare conditions, a fishmonger is more likely but not guaranteed to stock higher welfare farmed salmon or least know which farm it came from and you can check yourself. Certainly the salmon in my local fishmonger sells is far less pink than supermarket stuff and does IMHO have a better texture. The NHS advises that unless to are girl or women of childbearing age there is no recommendation on how much/often oily fish you can eat.
Lol KC2 - I've only defrosted enough sausages for one and they're mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Gruney2 wrote:I'd go for it too, ZC, but I can't remember the last time I saw it in my local supermarket.

I bought a hefty lump of wild salmon from Waitrose last week for about £10 .. it cut into 4 single portions, so at £2.50 per portion not so expensive .. :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 pm

I'm alone tonight as well so as I won't be home from work until 8pm it's likely to be a fishfinger sandwich.
With mayo and a few sprigs of dill, maybe some chopped capers.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 pm

Creamy garlic chicken from pinch of nom , a healthy eating , heavily Slimming World influenced brand, swede chips done in the actifryer and greens

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:15 pm

That looks great Amy.

jeral wrote:OneMoreCheekyOne, it probably all tastes ten times better with the first-time sun and fresh air to remember too. All lovely. Enough lobster for a roll would be outside my budget but I'm wondering how the mackerel for the burger was cooked? Ta.

The burger had a fillet of mackerel sat in the bun with some horseradish purée, some kind of beetroot relish, crunchy green lettuce and some pickled red onions (I think). It was lovely. The lobster roll was only about £6! Today for lunch we shared a lobster sandwich with salad garnish, crab bisque with fresh rolls, a portion of chips, a slice of cake, some nuts and 4 soft drinks and I think it came to about £21. Some places here (Isles of Scilly) are very expensive but you can get great food for less, too.

Dinner this eve was linguini with chilli, crab, lemongrass, wine and a little cream.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:54 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Gruney2 wrote:I'd go for it too, ZC, but I can't remember the last time I saw it in my local supermarket.

I bought a hefty lump of wild salmon from Waitrose last week for about £10 .. it cut into 4 single portions, so at £2.50 per portion not so expensive .. :thumbsup

Very true, Patsy and I've bought fresh wild salmon in the past from local Saisburys in the London area and sometimes reduced to clear. I don't know if it differs in other areas.

For me it's also about the nutritional quality as well as the animal welfare. The healthy oils in wild salmon are much reduced in farmed fish which are very high in saturated fats and are very fatty overall due to how they are raised.

Fish finger sandwich, mayo, dill n capers sounds pretty dang good to me WW.

We had BLTs on really lovely 9 grain bread last night with some great hardwood smoked bacon subbing super thinly sliced cucumber for lettuce which neither of us is mad about, making it a BCT sandwich. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox