Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Out for a friends birthday yesterday and I had a Malaysian prawn dish with sticky rice, peanuts and some lovely stir fried veg. Dessert was a kind of deconstructed sticky toffee pudding with bits of honeycomb, dates and pecans.

Brunch at our gym club this morning and we shared various pancakes with fresh fruit. OH is at the cricket today so the girls have requested something he’s not a fan of! So we’re having pan fried gnocchi with tomatoes, spinach, basil, mascarpone, parmesan. I might make a green salad and/or some garlic bread to have with it as well.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Nice meals OMCO and ltc. Big fan of making dishes that OH's aren't fond of whenever possible :D

Am marinating a small rack of pork spareribs for bbq tomorrow using my very simplified version of this pulled pork recipe for marinade, rub, and sauce which has become a go-to. (I ignore the nasty rubber-gloved burnt pork image :lol: ) I don't use dried garlic or onion powder - prefer a bit of fresh, minced.
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/ ... lled-Pork/

Postby liketocook » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:21 pm

Sounds good OMCO.
I love pork ribs ZC and that sounds like a fab marinade. Like you I much prefer to use fresh onion & garlic. I always think dried garlic has an odd aftertaste.
I had a reasonably productive afternoon in the kitchen, made a large batch of pesto and there's a pot of tomato sauce using homegrown tomatoes simmering on the hob. I remembered I had slow cooked octopus on Friday, I wasn't sure how it would freeze and as it had been hanging about for a couple of days I'm afraid most of it got ditched. I hate food waste but I take no chances with seafood.
We've decided to go with the brisket tonight. I had cooked it in two vac packs with the plan to bbq the larger of the two and freeze the other. Large one has been popped in the freezer and smaller piece will get a quick blast in a hot oven for dinner. Juices from the sous vide poaching will go to gravy and we'll have it with baby potatoes, green beans & savoy cabbage. Back to the meal plan tomorrow!

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:20 am

Lovely sounding food.

Saturday lunch I had salt beef and beetroot hash with a poached egg. Dinner was on a river cruise for a friend's birthday - a really uninspiring burger - no cheese, lettuce, tomato etc offered with it. Yesterday we went out for lunch after a long run in the sun and had the fantastic pork belly again. Dinner was Greek chicken traybake - very nice!

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:49 am

Sounds good Rocky, shame about the burger.

The sous vide brisket was wonderful - as tender as fillet steak but with all the flavour of the cheaper cut. Leftovers for lunch in bagels with mustard and cornichons. Homemade pizza for dinner tonight.

IMG_20210905_204244[12603].jpg

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:12 pm

That brisket looks stunning, LTC! :yum

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:18 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:That brisket looks stunning, LTC! :yum

Thanks KC2 it was cooked for 24 hours at 55C with a good amount of pepper and a disc of frozen red wine added to the vac pack. It's probably my favourite thing to sous vide.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:16 pm

I had planned to cook a lamb neck fillet on Friday according (more or less) to a Jose Pizarro recipe, marinated in evoo with flavourings, seared and finished in the oven but I was tired and bottled it, had veg moussaka from the freezer instead

So I cooked it on Saturday with roast cauliflower, pesto baked baby plum tomatoes and some new potatoes. Was absolutely delicious, might go back and see if there are any more of the fillets, there were a stack of them in Morrison’s

Had a salad last night having had bbq for lunch so will finish leftovers tonight

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Brisket looks amazing , probably my favourite cut of meat , cooked correctly the texture and flavour are incredible

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks Amy.

Your lamb dish sounds delicious Sue :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 pm

We had a(nother) wonderful recipe from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy tonight. I've found it here in case anyone is interested: https://www.purewow.com/recipes/roasted ... pistachios

We made it with butternut squash and I was rather more liberal with the spices for the buttery pistachios.

It was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!!

I think I might try it with ras-el-hanout next time, which will give it a more complex spice mix.

ETA, I realised that link didn't actually give the recipe, this one does https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alison- ... Gvn9iNVRgw
Attachments
Butternut squash and spicy pistachios.jpg
Butternut squash and spicy pistachios.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

Postby herbidacious » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:36 pm

That looks wonderful KC2. And a lovely setting to eat it in.

We had a more humble omelette tonight. Cherry tomatoes from the garden, a large pinch of chipotle flakes, faux smoky bacony things, Emmental, then French beans from the garden on the side.

i really need to do something with aubergines. I had this whopper which seemed to appear over night, which I sliced and roasted... and completely forgot about so that went in the compost bin. I shall be more careful with the next ones. Some courgettes to use as well, and a couple of peppers... it sounds very much like ratatouille or caponata, but will have a look for something more imaginative. Will have a look on your site, KC2.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:12 pm

I have aubergines and peppers to do something with

I had cold lamb with a potato and leek gratin and some frozen peas and broad beans

I didn’t get any more lamb, I have a massive pork fillet, I will cut it into a central cylinder to roast and make stir fry with the rest

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:33 am

Lovely photos KC2 and LTC.

We had this prawn dish last night - made with fresh linguine. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pra ... -spaghetti

It was really delicious. Tonight is white fish (I can't remember what we got) with a mixture of white beans and chorizo and possibly some cherry tomatoes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am

I love prawn linguine. A rare treat these days.

KC2 - definitely one to try! I agree that ras el hanout would work well. I eat lot of nuts but rarely pistachios so they'll be on my next shopping list.

Re aubergines, I treated myself to a copy of 'Las Chimeneas'. There's a recipe for aubergines stuffed with a mix of onion, garlic, walnuts, almonds, grated Manchego style cheese and eggs which I would like to try.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 am

Great photos and gorgeous sounding food. Craving prawn linguini now.

Last night we had Thai salmon with noodles and veg. With little bowls of peanuts, lime wedges, carrot and cucumber ribbons and coriander etc which the girls love to ‘decorate’ their food.

I made some breakfast muffins yesterday with apples, cinnamon, pecans and a hint of orange. They were really good.

We had planned to make a chicken and leek pie today but that’s not going to happen in 27 degree heat. We have got some brie, salami, olives, tomatoes and peppers in the fridge so dinner will be some bits and pieces. I might pick up a shop bought quiche too.

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 pm

Oh lots of lovely sounding food and more recipes bookmarked. :D

Pizza for us last night, it's first time for ages I've made a proper dough base rather than using a naan or a quick flour/yoghurt dough. I decide to add some excess sourdough starter to the mix and that gave it as really good flavour. I made far too much dough though so half had been popped the freezer. Pasta with baked feta, chilli and roast veg for dinner. A new one for me after Kacey suggested it on the "Tried something new" thread.

IMG_20210906_205106[12609].jpg

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Mamta's chicken saag tonight
I will make lots so there is some for J when he gets back from Newcastle (again) tomorrow evening.

I will be out on the razz.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:52 pm

[clickablepic][/clickablepic]I am marinating aubergines from the garden in miso, honey and sesame oil to roast later. A Japan Centre suggestion.

edit: husband wanted pizza tonight so they are going to have a very lengthy marination (?!?) period.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:50 am

Aubergines sound good herbi and hopefully come to no harm with a longer marinade.

The pasta with baked feta and roast veg & chilli yesterday was very good, definitely one I'd make again.

Sausages for us tonight probably with beans and wedges unless DS2 has other ideas.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox