Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:38 am

I've only ever been to the Lakeland store in Windermere and it is really is a super place. My friend lives close by and I am so envious!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:58 am

Is the Windermere one the Flagship Lakeland?
I've always assumed it is.
Our Lakeland is in the Dobbies garden centre, which is a delight to visit. And if we wish, is a country walk away from our house.

Well, that's the last of the turkey.
Madras style curry, with coconut sprouts & an onion yoghurt sauce.
And the chapattis

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:29 pm

I thought it must be Gill, but I checked and it is.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/stores/windermere

Your curry looks really good!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:44 pm

I think turkey curry is my favourite meal over Christmas, our Renee.
Not a huge lover of the pickles & sliced meat, but never mind.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Moving away from turkey (as neighbour made and delivered our Christmas dinner, we had no leftovers!!) we are having Carbonnade tonight... in the style of!
Braising steak slow cooked in lager, with onions, mushrooms, garlic, lardons, carrots, celery and juniper berries, served with mash.

But that turkey curry looks mighty fine to me.

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:22 pm

What a lovely meal Sloe-Gin! Did you use a slow-cooker and how long for?

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:10 am

You are the virtuoso of turkey curry, Gill! One day I will make turkey curry! Just for me, as Mr0 is not a huge curry fan. Our turkey leftover leftovers (after turkey dinner II and turkey sandwiches) went into a turkey and veg pie with an American 'biscuit' crust which Mr0 is very fond of.

Been making a lot of stews, soups and beans lately as it's very brass monkeys here.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:20 am

We've got some artisan beers in the pantry that we'll never drink. Gifts.
They're just too strong. So I'll be getting creative with them in stews.
I should start a thread for other ideas.

I must get some junipers, I lobbed mine when we moved last year, they were so old it was embarrassing.

Postby smitch » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:04 am

What beers do you have, Gill?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:35 pm

Smitch, they are a selection of German beers: Franzishhaner Weissbier from Munich, & ABK Hell das Blaue Bavarian beer for example.

Well last night's chateaubriand steak and chips was jolly good. Served with mustard

Easy cooking really.

Postby Kacey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:53 pm

Made Ottolenghi's Tandoori Confit Chickpeas for supper last night, didn't get to eat them as were home much later than anticipated. Going to have them for brunch with a spicy naan

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:10 pm

That sounds delicious Kacey - going to look that up. And the steak looks amazing.

WE have had a good couple of days of eating. On Thursday evening we had cevapccicci with Slovene style 'roast' potato (not at all like roast potatoes) and ajvar and salad. Yesterday we had a very long morning skiing and stopped for the most amazing goulash I have ever had. It was served with polenta - we are in the corner near Italy and Austria and the cuisine reflects that! For dinner we had steak and leek and pancetta risotto.

Today for lunch we were out and I had Wiener schnitzel with potatoes. OH had the farmer's plate which was a lot of sausage, sauerkraut and a bean mash with crackling through it. I suspect there won't be much dinner had!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:18 pm

We made a disappointing recipe from the new Good Housekeeping - vegan lentil and butternut tagine with courgette couscous.
Also the quantities are barmy.

It said it served 4, and we didn't use the full amounts, but we've had 5 servings altogether already and there seems to be almost as much again left over ...

OH made it and he also doubled the suggested spices as he thought it was "meh" when he tasted it.

It's on p 132 of the Feb issue if anyone wants to avoid it :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:23 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:We've got some artisan beers in the pantry [...]. Gifts.

us, too (maybe not artisan - local brewery to our upcountry young). we've drunk three bottles between four of us for a tasting and have eight left of those that were bought down for us. we also have half a dozen ales that i had bought (only the tribute was drunk from that bagful). we will work our way through them slowly.

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:27 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:OH made it and he also doubled the suggested spices as he thought it was "meh" when he tasted it.

i would have thought you'd realised by now that vegetarians and vegans can't take big flavours! (or so it seems for a lot of recipes). i always have to up the spice/herb ratio. it's not just a decrease in tastebud sensitivity - i've always done it.

Postby Kacey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:54 pm

I can thoroughly recommend this recipe for a veggie tagine: https://www.pindropclub.co.uk/recipes.htm

The recipe for the ras el hanout is well worth making too, rather than using a ready made mix. If I do use a ready made one, Bart's is my favourite one.

Postby Kacey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:33 pm

After deliberation about what to cook tonight, a cauliflower starting to look a little bit past its best forced my hand. Ottolenghi's Curried Cauliflower Cheese Pie is in the oven. Was pretty easy to make, the biggest faff was putting my hands on the springform cake tin! Hadn't used it since making the 2020 Christmas cake. Aching so much from the strenuous gardening had to ask OH to get down on his knees to retrieve it from the back of a bottom corner cupboard, I had no guarantee that if I got down there I'd be able to get up again!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:10 am

ras el hanout is well worth making too

thanks for that, Kacey.
I've put down my lack of interest in ras el hanout to the brands I've bought.

Rocky, you are eating so well, and hearty too.

Shame about the recipe, KC2. But it happens sometimes.

We are now fooded out. I've only got salad in the fridge now = phew!
Thank goodness it's mild outside, and we can take a cold meal tonight. Just a caesar salad, but with the parma slices too.

Might try to make some flat breads with my roti maker.

Postby Kacey » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:05 pm

Curry tonight, have another cauliflower to use up so trying a couple of recipes from my new cookbooks.

By the way, the curried cauliflower cheese pie yesterday was delicious, and the tandoori confit chickpeas the day before was flipping gorgeous. both recipes were from the Ottolenghi test kitchen cookbook, which I'll now highly recommend to anyone who may be having second thoughts on buying it.

Postby liketocook » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:12 pm

Some lovely looking and sounding food being cooked. :yum
Shame you had a duff recipe kacey :(
Turkey for us over Christmas with the usual cold cuts etc. in the days after. I made a couple of two portion turkey, leek & stuffing pies for the freezer and a big pot of soup with leftovers. On Wednesday we had a simple dish of pasta with a tomato and pesto sauce which really hit the spot. Cooked brined then glazed pork chops on Thursday and veal schnitzel on Friday. Yesterday was slow roasted part boned shoulder of lamb with various veg, mash, roasties and gravy. No cooking tonight with chicken curry, rice, pakoras and naan all from the freezer.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox