Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm

RockyBVI wrote:
There was no veg to be had in the shop yesterday

Which shop was that, Rocky? Surely not the Chiswick Sainsbury's or the Chiswick Waitrose? And there are the market stalls in front of Sainsbury's on the High Road, too.

You've probably found it already, but there is also a Morrisons in Brentford - I think it's a Morrisons now, it's been through a few reincarnations. And there's a supermarket in the middle of the GSK mess on the A4 too, that a friend of mine used to go to when she was living off Windmill Road. And Lidl in Hanwell.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:46 pm

I rather like a robust mash and don't mind a few lumps. Obviously, as Sue has said, a proper pommes puree is different and there are times when appropriate. I think that the kind of potato is the real key. Those that turn to water in places but are still hard in others whilst boiling are not fit for boiled mash - they might work for baked jacket mash - perhaps but I'd say would not be floury enough. I've never discovered which potatoes they are but hate them if I buy them.

Nothing exciting here this week. On Sunday we had a Ploughman's out for lunch (the low carb diet went on hold, it was so good and included a small pork pie :yum :yum !) and DD went out to supper so I only had a couple of crackers and fruit later. Monday we got in late and had crumbed fish with stir fried veg. Yesterday I was doing something and forgot it was supper time so had an omelette with salad. Tonight I'm going out to celebrate someone's birthday at 6pm and have been invited for cake so unless there's more than cake it may be an omelette again! I think smoked haddock for GD tomorrow - her favourite.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm

You are all weird :lol: :lol: :lol: the purpose of mashing potatoes is surely to make them lump-free? I really dislike lumpy mash, my potato ricer mash was fairly robust as the potatoes were baked not boiled, so quite dry, and not mixed with milk after ricing just a tiny bit of butter and some cooked shredded leek which added a little liquid I suppose

I have been to Iceland (sadly only the shop), the noticeable gap is that there are none of the posh bakery goods I like, none of the DeLuxe range, no croissants of any kind I think the all butter ones I like are imported from France. Warburtons is in plentiful supply though

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Some smashing (or mashing? :lol: ) ideas here. I don't know how celeriac would take to the ricer, but it's just as easy to use the hand blender on it.

Tonight, it's another trybake. First, a layer of puy noodles (for ease, a pouch), onion, garlic, chilli, chicken, peppers, 2 left over sausage, some bacon that was up yesterday, topped with home grown toms and served with courgettes.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Oh I do like a traybake SG - put it together, pop it in the oven and leave it to it works for me. :)
I don't mind a rougher mash in things like fishcakes but generally prefer it smooth. My ricer is one of my favourite gadgets. Well dried floury potatoes are a must and a tip I got somewhere was to leave the peeled spuds whole or in big chunks if they are huge and ideally steam them. I steam mine in the insert of my pressure cooker and this works really well. Riced, butter, salt & pepper and I'm a happy camper. I'm just about to pop a batch on to use up a bag of Maris Pipers. As ricing them is a bit of PITA I usually batch cook mash then portion and freeze.

I made a tasty batch of soup this morning - bacon, carrot, sweet potato and potato. I had some for lunch a with the weather definitely more Autumnal it really hit the spot.
IMG_20210915_140100[12862].jpg

Tortilla wrap pizza tonight, using some of the tomato sauce I made yesterday and various lurking fridge bits.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Interesting reading about the lack of food in local supermarkets ... does this include vegetables ? I haven't been shopping for some time now ... a combination of eating out, or having takeaways and using up stuff that has been hanging about ...

However, today I happened to be in Greenford ... (an appointment with Estate Agents re Daughters new home purchase ) ... and was overwhelmed with the number of shops selling every kind of veg imaginable and a to my surprise a wet fish shop alongside various other grocery shops of Asian and other ethnic food ... I am going to treat myself to a mini away day, on my own to shop to my heart's content :yum :thumbsup :bounce:

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:15 pm

That soup looks really good liketocook, definitely getting more soup weather now isn’t it . I like “bits” on top of soup , adds a nice bit of texture .

As for mash … it’s the devils food :tongueout

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm

Yes I like crispy bits on top of soup too Amy especially on pureed ones. I'll happily have your mash :lol:

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Interesting reading about the lack of food in local supermarkets ... does this include vegetables ? I haven't been shopping for some time now ... a combination of eating out, or having takeaways and using up stuff that has been hanging about ...

However, today I happened to be in Greenford ... (an appointment with Estate Agents re Daughters new home purchase ) ... and was overwhelmed with the number of shops selling every kind of veg imaginable and a to my surprise a wet fish shop alongside various other grocery shops of Asian and other ethnic food ... I am going to treat myself to a mini away day, on my own to shop to my heart's content :yum :thumbsup :bounce:

It's not too bad up here so far in the supermarkets, though I've noticed there's a dearth of anything bar peas, corn or prepped in the frozen veg department. I'd been hoping to get some frozen broad beans but they've been unavailable for weeks now in Tesco, Morrisons or Asda. For most everything else it's okay, though choice might be limited across all departments. I'd use the local Fruit & Veg shop more but it's got odd opening hours and to get a taxi there and back costs £7+ which whacks a lot on to the bill so I tend to only go if it's open when DS2 is about and we're heading into town anyway. I'd also say there fruit is much better than their veg, lots of choice and good quality but veg choice is hit or miss and I'm definitely more of veg than fruit person as is DS2. One of the local butchers posted on FB that having supply issues due to staffing issues at the abattoir on some lines but seems to be COVID related rather than unfilled vacancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Both supermarkets and the veg boys seem to have plenty of most veg, there’s not a lot of brassicas but looking at the farmers market that might be seasonal/weather as much as anything

Bizarre shortage of boxes of tissues in Savers, but plenty of loo roll etc

I remember Sue Turner Smith used to put small amounts of leftover roast pork in nasi goreng so that’s what I’ve just had, no egg as there was quite a lot of pork in fact. Very full now!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:However, today I happened to be in Greenford ... (an appointment with Estate Agents re Daughters new home purchase ) ... and was overwhelmed with the number of shops selling every kind of veg imaginable and a to my surprise a wet fish shop alongside various other grocery shops of Asian and other ethnic food ... I am going to treat myself to a mini away day, on my own to shop to my heart's content :yum :thumbsup :bounce:

South Harrow is like that, in fact two wet fish shops. It has a large Sri Lankan community.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:27 am

I'm craving a peppery watercress soup topped with crispy pancetta after reading this. And nasi goreng.

Anyway, dinner will be prawn burgers. I haven't decided whether to go with lemon, parsley and caper flavours or lime, chilli, sesame, coriander etc flavours.

Sides will involve courgette ribbons, spring onions and rocket in some format. Possibly a flavoured mayo.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:45 am

Sounds good OMCO. :yum

Sue my Mum always used to make nasi goreng with leftover pork.

The tortilla wrap based "pizza" last night was tasty and very quick to make and cook. I had intended to sprinkle the cheese on before adding the toppings but got side tracked and had to splodge it on instead.
242241370_10221387512340526_8877442501980838496_n.jpg

Mince and tatties for dinner tonight.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm

That looks super, LTC!
I've always meant to try alternative pizzas but never got round to it!

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:28 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:That looks super, LTC!
I've always meant to try alternative pizzas but never got round to it!

They're good as a quick option, not as good a properly made one but perfectly decent.

Postby smitch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:45 pm

I think tonight we’re having vegan katsu curry with jasmine rice and some charred tenderstem broccoli.

Last night was vegan Pukka pies with colcannon mash. No idea about tomorrow. I’ve been intending to make macaroni cheese for a while so maybe that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 pm

That looks very pukka pizza ltc!

Coincidentally I've bought some tortilla wraps, I find some bought flat breads are uninspiringly doughy and some are downright nasty unless well warmed up, but while in Leamington I had some really nice coronation chicken wraps, and these look as if they will be a similar texture, very thin

Not sure what I'll do with them yet, but something will happen

Nothing inspiring tonight as my tummy is a bit dodgy, I don't think it's enjoying the sudden increase in interesting foods

I have been getting land cress rather than watercress recently as that's what has been in both market and greengrocer, being less wet it keeps much better in the fridge, and I think it would be good for soup, haven't tried yet

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 pm

I am most envious of a fishmonger or two in the vicinity.
I made beef carbonnade for yesterday, but we didn't fancy it (too full), so Sunday is sorted when we get back from the van
Chicken methi made for tonight and onion bhajis, which we can reheat tonight.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:18 pm

Sounds good smitch, I sometimes make a very inauthentic katsu-type curry using breaded chicken steaks and Mayflower curry sauce.
Hope tum has settled Sue, I don't think I've ever seen land cress on sale here apart from once at a now defunct Farmers' market. I don't see why it wouldn't make decent soup.
Always handy to have a meal in hand to come back to SG.
Nuked mince & tatties hit the spot last night as after the committee meeting I just wanted something I could heat and eat.
Tonight it simple breaded cod, baked spud, peas & green beans and a glass of red.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 am

Lovely sounding food as usual.

We had a Vietnamese takeaway on Thursday - a beef brisket curry and some really lovely noodles. Leftovers for lunch yesterday. Last night was fish pie. Might start becoming a regular Friday thing. Perfect for making in the day to have ready after a drink out after work. It had cod, smoked haddock and salmon and was really good. We were due to have lamb steaks tonight but we’ve been invited to a friend’s for dinner. So lamb steaks tomorrow. Trying to decide what to do with them….

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox