Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 pm

That looks lovely! I like the plate.

I actually cooked tonight :o fetuccini with peas, garlic, toasted pine nuts, feta, fresh thyme, a very small pinch of chipotle flakes (could have put a tiny bit more in), a squeeze of lemon sjuice (could have teaken more of this too), seasalt crystally Normandy butter and smoked rapeseed oil, parmesan on top.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:24 am

Oh yes, KC2 - burrata is the bee´s knees! I only tried it for the first time ( how on EARTH did I miss it before???) last year and now I can´t get enough of it.
Love sardines, Sue - highly underrated. The Portuguese do absolutely wonderful things with them.
Herbi - chilpotle is a delicious chile. In Mexico, you´re often presented with 3 chile salsas on the table. A mild one, a chilpotle one, and a habanero one. The chilpotle never fails to please.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:27 am

That does look good KC2! I agree, pretty plate!

I wasn't overly hungry last night and was dashing round doing other things. Ended up with tinned tuna mixed with garlic mayo and lots of capers, lots of salad veg and a corn cake (like rice cake, cracker thingy). I always forget that I'm actually quite fond of tinned tuna. Just as well, the fresh stuff is too expensive! I've noticed that some here buy it frozen but whenever I've had that it has turned a bit mushy. Not sure why.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:47 am

I love chipotle nd the flakes are a favoruite ingredient at the moment. Ottolenghi puts them in things in just the right amount to give a gentle background heat which transforms a dish you might not otherwise put them in. This is what I was aiming for, but was too conservative. However there was no sauce, per se, for the pasta - just butter and oil and there wasn't really enough cooking time (this was impromptu) to infuse it.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 am

Oh that looks good KC and I love the plate!
I've not had fresh sardines for a long time Sue, I must try and rectify that this summer.
Ended up making a small cauliflower cheese last night and having half of it with sausages and flat mushrooms. I'll probably have the other half this tonight rather than bunging it in the freezer.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks all, yes the plate is gorgeous, isn't it! We managed to get it back from Morocco in one piece a very, very long time ago!

Herbi, I'm afraid I'm such a wuss with anything chilli-ish. I tend to leave them out rather than get it wrong :oops:

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 pm

It´s almost time to go shopping again, so the fridge has got bits and pieces in the veg tray. Two courgettes, a small but perfectly formed cauliflower, some pallid-looking spring onions...
Cooked the cauli whole and covered it with a bechamel sauce, to which I added a small amount of blue cheese and some grated gruyere. Grated the two courgettes, added some diced spring onion, salt, pepper, flour, breadcrumbs and a beaten egg, and made croquettes/fritters/polpettone - whatever you call them. They were tasty!
zucchini croquettes (2).JPG
zucchini croquettes (2).JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2256 times

Why some look greener than the others, no idea. I´m a lousy photographer anyway! :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:08 pm

We are away in beautiful Leyburn this week.
We prefer to book a cottage as we walk every day and don't always feel like eating out.

I've just finished my first 11-mile walk in a couple of years, and it was warm.
We stopped in the town and picked up smoked salmon fillets, new potatoes and salad.
I'm not moving for the rest of the day.

Not sure I could if I wanted to.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 pm

That sounds pretty perfect WW
Tasty looking fritters KK

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:17 pm

Love the sound (and look) of all the food.

Last night we made hot and cold seafood platters of cold salmon, prawns, smoked mackerel, scallops and...fish fingers :? With some really good warm crusty bread, salad bits and pieces, garlic mayo, tartare sauce and lemon wedges.

Tonight we had a Thai chicken salad with peanuts, lime and chilli.

Tomorrow we have an Italian sausage meatball, fennel, tomato and basil risotto planned.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:25 am

I love the sound of that risotto OMCO. Do you have a recipe?

Yesterday I had salad for lunch with avocado,feta and other nice bits. For dinner made our recently discovered pancetta and shredded sprouts linguine. I KNOW sprouts aren’t in season but I think a bit of leeway for the girl who has only just returned from many years on an island without such luxuries!

OH starts a new job today. I think I’ll make pork mince with lots of Asian flavours so we can have that chilled in lettuce cups when he gets home.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Courgette croquettes look good, must make some soon as I usually put feta in mine, and that seems to be back on the menu

There was a dearth of real feta in Morrison’s the other day, so what I’ve actually got is generic white salad cheese, which is usually even more sour but it’s ok, I made a salad with it, leftover couscous and roast cauliflower, a few chickpeas, a little pile served on salad leaves with tomato.

Not inspired by the thought of dinner tonight, think it will be bought tortellini cooked with some veg. And strawberries after as I went to the market

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Lots of gorgeous sounding summery food folks :yum
I baked a crustless quiche earlier (photo on the "Crustless quiche" thread and had a piece of that for lunch. For a collection of odds and ends it was very tasty. My son's not arriving until late and will have been fed so I'm keeping the planned pasta dish for tomorrow and going for an easy option of garlic bread topped with cheese with some chilli from the freezer.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Crusted quiche tonight - courgettes, red pepper, red onion and feta, with lots of oregano.

LTC, your crustless one looked gorgeous!

Lunch was a big salad with avocado and artichokes with various greenery and tomatoes.

Last night we had lightly smoked salmon fillets with crispy topping - again - pesto, breadcrumbs, parmesan. It was actually even better with the lightly smoked fillets than it had been with the ordinary ones, so I think that's definitely going to be repeated :yum New potatoes with EVOO and dill.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Love the sound of the salmon dish KC2 :yum
Spinach and ricotta stuffed pasta for us tonight with a chorizo and tomato sauce. It was supposed to be for yesterday but my son had a takeaway with his brother.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Those croquettes look amazing, KKA.

11 miles is not to be sniffed at, WW. Well done.
We went out for a hot 4hr walk yesterday, but Tony did point out that a fair chunk of the time was spent looking over a lake with dinghy sailors and sup paddlers at the pretty local cafe, sipping a cappuccino, towards the end of the walk.

Tonight, I've made a cannelloni, meat version with some chilli. I had soft tomatoes & a red pepper in the fridge, and have made them into a sauce to smother the tubes.
No bechamel.
A Gino tip for a summer lasagne/ cannelloni is to pour a little (single) cream over your sauce, instead of a bechamel.
And then parmesan sprinkles.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:39 pm

A Gino tip for a summer lasagne/ cannelloni is to pour a little (single) cream over your sauce, instead of a bechamel.
And then parmesan sprinkles.

That sounds great, Gill. Have to give that a go - I love canneloni.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:44 am

Last night we had a takeaway of a bowl of Pho each and some fresh spring rolls. Delicious. Lunch today will be quiche inspired by this and the crust less thread. Not sure what but I have some lardons. Dinner is steak - I have a small ribeye and a small fillet which we will share. I’ll cook some tender stem broccoli too.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:01 am

Last nights supper was Chestnut and squash risotto with sage shreds. One of our fave. risottos.

Todays main meal will be a BBQ'd mackerel after the visit to Urchfont Manor, just hope it stays dry to BBQ. I shall put some fronds of fennel in the cavity. I have some Jersey royals to go with it.

Tomorrows main meal will be turkey breast marinated in all purpose marinade. 2 more for Tuesday.....

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Lovely sounding food as always everyone :yum
Easy one for us yesterday of breaded haddock, baked spuds, peas and broad beans.
I've Tesco Finest beef burgers defrosting for tonight, the second half of a pack I bought a few weeks ago. I've buns in the freezer and will make some wedges, coleslaw and salad to have with them.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox