Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 pm

I made some chilled yoghurt, cucumber soup with garlic, mint and a little chilli.
The cucumber and mint were from the garden. The chilli was going to be, but the one I had cut open wasn't hot. It was one that had dropped off and I am wondering if it was actually a very immature sweet pepper.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:30 pm

Sticky aubergine maybe Jeral? Jamie Oliver does a good one using terriyaki sauce https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/aub ... aubergine/

Sounds delicious Gruney.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Lunch was very simple, light and delicious: iceberg lettuce, rocket, parsley, avocado, Asda artichoke hearts with a dressing from artichoke oil and lemon juice ...

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Have you decided on something jeral? I find the concept of spicy with blackened cauli out of my comfort zone. I had peppers stuffed with a nut roast mix recently which was delicious and could be spiced up. Alternatively, a nut and crumb crust for a firm white fish such as I had last night could have spices added to it.
Lovely with some yogurt plain or flavoured with cucumber and/or mint.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:42 pm

We have just ended up having one of those really tasty, never to be repeated probably meals. I made very inauthentic fried rice with some diced chorizo pretending to be Chinese sausage, peppers and sesame egg. Had that with chicken, broccoli and courgettes in a gingery black bean sauce. Complete experiment that should have been awful. But was lovely

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 pm

jeral wrote:Any ideas for a veggie or fish feature to go with blackened cauliflower, turmeric or spiced, please? Ta.

If I ate meat, sticky chippolatas would suit but I don't, nor fake meat or tofu. Maybe a stuffed veg of some sort? Ta.

glamorgan sausages?

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Really enjoyed last night tea . The sweet potatoes and sour cream dip /salad were from JO’s “7 Ways” book and the spiced chicken and pineapple was inspired by one of the chicken ones in there too . Criticise the man how you want but his flavour combinations are usually spot on

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Looks fab Amy, yep JO puts together good flavour combinations. I'm a big fan.
The chicken was still frozen last night so I cooked a crustless quiche which we had with salad and garlic bread. Thai green curry bow on tonight's menu.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:18 pm

My word, Amy - that looks so good! :clap :clap

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Catch it if you can sort of food here tonight involving a gnocchi bake of some sort - plans still in progress.....!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 pm

Lovely, Amy :yum

Nigel Slater's Courgettes and mushrooms with green olives and basil tonight: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... -ice-cream

It was very good. Interesting that the combination of fresh lemon zest, lemon juice and green olives gave it a sort of preserved lemon taste that was lovely. It was also much more gentle than we had expected - maybe the basil calmed down the lemon and the olives.

Would recommend - we liked it a lot.

Last week we made his peppers and potatoes, that I think someone else mentioned as well. We'll definitely make that again, too.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... d-potatoes

Postby liketocook » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am

Yes KC2 I made the pepper and potatoes earlier in the week. We really enjoyed them and the leftovers worked well in a crustless quiche.
Bbq tonight with my sister and nephew, nothing fancy just burgers and pork steaks with various salads.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:22 pm

liketocook wrote:Yes KC2 I made the pepper and potatoes earlier in the week. We really enjoyed them and the leftovers worked well in a crustless quiche.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Heart Attack Potatoes. Sliced, cooked potatoes, line the bottom of a pyrex dish with a layer of spuds. Add fresh cream, grated cheddar, onions ( cooked or raw) and some cooked bacon bits. Repeat until the pyrex is full. Cover with abundant slices of thinly cut, streaky bacon, and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
Call the doctor afterwards to check your blood pressure. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Not felt like cooking today but had 2 good meals

Lunch was a big salad including loads of beetroot with a Taifun vegan Wiener - one of those long hot dogs. Very good, recommended, none of those slightly off flavours I sometimes detect in fake meat, and really nice texture

Tonight I made a sort of Chinese black vinegar cabbage but in the microwave not stir fried. Served with a pack of frozen sea food dim sum found in the freezer, also microwaved (that’s what you are meant to do) and dipping sauces

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:24 pm

I had a rather strange but quite tasty 'use stuff up' meal - a kind of omelette of marinated spicy soy tofu and mangetout from the garden with French beans from the garden on the side.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:30 pm

I'm avoiding cooking anything hot. I took GD to Sainsburys and let her choose cold meat and a starchy thing to go with salad I already had and hard boiled eggs. We had pesto pasta and some cold beef slices (rtc). I bought two packs as it was rtc and wish I hadn't as I didn't like it much and had hoped it would be a treat as I rarely buy processed meat. The salad overall was very good though. Followed by Unicorn Cornetto style ice creams.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 pm

OH expressed a rare desire for steak so we had Waitrose sirloin steaks (in the 3 for £10 offer) with lots of watercress and sliced tomatoes, and a couple of delicious individual rtc tarts, lemon and white choc ganache, which we had with vanilla ice cream ...

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 am

Hi and thanks re my proposed blackened cauli. liketocook, that JO sticky aubergine looks good and will go with lots of other things too. Earthmaiden, my teeth and nuts, perhaps not, but I like raw cauli (oddly maybe) so the flavoured yoghurt sounds good for cauli crudites with a picnic plate e.g like the black bean pie I make.

scullion, are Glamorgan saus any good if bought (or from where?), or if best to make own, what's the best sub for Caerphilly please? Ta.

I'm always agog at the hugely disparate variety of lovely things people here make!

Probably another quirky one here tonight - tuna steak marinated incl fresh ginger, then flash fried as strips and set aside to deglaze the pan with a spot of coconut milk and a few tinned pineapple pieces and a defrosted spinach blob, with lots of black pepper and sea salt crystals to serve.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:45 am

Your steak dinner sounds lovely KC2. I love watercress.

OH expressed a wish for pies from the butcher / deli around the corner yesterday so I popped along mid afternoon. No pies! I remember we had rtc marinaded pork steaks in the freezer.I was pretty sure they were Mediterranean themed so I picked up a packet of rtc Mediterranean veg,only to get home to realise the pork was Chinese. So dinner was slightly odd but strangely delicious.

I think we are having takeaway tonight - almost certainly Pho. I really fancy that.

Happy Friday all.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox