Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Thank you - I’ll start some off tomorrow and report back!

Postby liketocook » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Wic wrote:Thank you - I’ll start some off tomorrow and report back!

If you're unsure you could always send me sample of the finished product for quality control purposes ;) :D

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 pm

Will do!

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Forgot to say, as we were thinking about fruit gins, we tried a 2018 Sloe Gin this evening. Liquid gold!

Postby liketocook » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Wic wrote:Forgot to say, as we were thinking about fruit gins, we tried a 2018 Sloe Gin this evening. Liquid gold!

Sounds fab Wic, I think I have some unopened 2018 sloe gin in the cupboard that a friend made. I must look it out.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Lunch was a cheese and onion toastie with coleslaw, hence the thread about the leftover bits we love.

I'm home alone tonight so it's going to be Delia's puttanesca.
I will make the usual amount and leave half in the fridge.
I'm going out straight from work tomorrow and it will be quick and tasty for J when he gets back about 8pm.

I can guarantee this will be his sequence
- remove shoes and change into shorts
- open some wine
- boil kettle for pasta
- heat sauce whilst grating parmesan
- watch rugby with dinner and a drink

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Homemade gazpacho again for lunch.
For dinner I am haviing halloumi baked with smoked oil and fresh thyme - will finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Shop-bought caponata on the side and maybe a slice of bread if husband comes back with a nice loaf. (More likely than not he'll buy a processed sliced one, as I forgot to specify, but you never know!)

I just found a cucumber in the garden :) (Last time I looked it was a tiddler. Now 10 inches.) Now what to do with that... Chilled cucumber and garlicky, herby yoghurt soup would be nice but need to fiinish the gazpacho first, really.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:04 am

I made mee goreng (spicy noodles) tonight, finally broaching my keçap manis and Langhams Malaysian chilli sauce, which have been hanging round for a while, should have used a touch more chilli, surprisingly mild when cooked

As an aside, Asda seem to be the best supermarket round here for a good choice of noodles and some related ingredients, although ours is a small one

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:23 am

Cooked a "steak dinner" yesterday much to DS2's approval - sirloin steaks, crispy potato cubes, mushrooms roasted with garlic, steamed carrots and some bought peppercorn sauce.
Tonight I'm roasting chicken legs with Cajun spice to have with this https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... d-potatoes and a chopped salad.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Love the sound of all of that Ltc!!

We have made the most of the outdoor cooking options this weekend. BBQ’d steaks, hot dogs, halloumi and aubergine roll ups.
Corn on the cob, garlic bread, pizzas, smoked spiced almonds, baked camembert and a Lancashire hotpot in the outdoor oven. A seafood paella on the paella pan. Plus lots of salads and cornettos! The kids have got through an enormous watermelon.

I think we’re having a Thai beef salad tonight. I fancy something light after all of the weekend excesses.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Oh my OMCO that all sounds wonderful :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Someone gave my wife a pot of goat milk ricotta with chives. Since she can´t abide anything oniony, I decided to mix it with a handful of coriander leaf, some green chiles and some cooked rice, and use it to stuff some lovely long red peppers. I made a curried tomato cream sauce with onions, garlic, ginger, chiles, turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek and nigella, added chopped tomatoes, then finished it with cream. Poured over the peppers and baked for 40 minutes in the oven.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 pm

All sounds lovely. Halloumi was $13 in BVI so I am eating a lot of it here! In fact that was lunch with avocado, rocket and cherry toms.

Dinner was a take on Delia’s Italian Baked Fish. Brilliant recipe to use as a guide and just as good as I’d remembered. We haven’t been very organised so no idea what we’ll have the next few days.OH had rice with his fish and there are leftovers so maybe fried rice with something..

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:05 am

Ramen with a 'garnish' of marinated tofu, and French beans and mangetout from the garden. Not sure it was Ramen weather but...

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am

Lovely food being made here!
OMCO, you must be so pleased that your outdoor kitchen was completed in time for this weather!

I had cod loin with a nut topping based on Macadamia crusted barramundi which is an Australian dish I love. I had a few macadamias left in a bag but had to eke them out with other nuts.Still delicious. There's some left. I think if I flake the cod with the crumb it will work on a day like this. (Not a bit like childhood cold fish :lol:).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 am

Last night I had the most successful lasagne I’ve made in years
On Sunday I made Nigella’s vegan spag bol sauce in the multi pot. I soaked the whole lentils overnight, sautéed the onion etc in the pot, chucked in everything in the recipe and slow cooked all day. I followed the recipe apart from the soaking, adding less water (only a tiny bit) and replacing parsley with celery and oregano with herbes de Provence
I really like the sauté setting on the multi cooker, much more controllable than my rather temperamental gas hob
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/vegan-spag-bol
You get a lot of sauce!
Yesterday I layered it up with a pack of those fresh lasagne sheets that fit a standard lasagne dish, topped with a cheese sauce and baked.

I seem to have 8 portions of lasagne and 2 of sauce :D

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:32 am

I'm loving the sound of everyone's food :yum
The Nigel Slater peppers and potatoes recipe was very good, definitely one I'll make again.
Thai chicken & veg green curry with rice tonight.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:40 am

I made Cajun spiced salmon and salad wraps - loosely based on a JO poboy recipe. Excellent in this heat.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm

liketocook wrote:I'm loving the sound of everyone's food :yum
The Nigel Slater peppers and potatoes recipe was very good, definitely one I'll make again.
Thai chicken & veg green curry with rice tonight.

I do like potatoes done like that, sort of neither here nor there but somehow just right. (Thai curry? You is brave.)

Earthmaiden, cod loin here yesterday too in a tom/red onion/caper/anchovy sauce. The fish was tough; maybe overcooked but not the first time so I think I'll revert to fillets in future. I thus blended half which tasted good cold although something gritty was detectable so if the fish it would not be a good Plan A.

Large prawns are defrosting, to be marinated, and eaten with a mild chipotle paste mayo dip and "a bit of brown bread" as grandma used to say, or a granary doorstop ;)

The last part of the camembert will be melted in the microwave soon. Thank goodness as this one has ponged out the fridge from Day 1 for some reason, even from the inside of an airtight Tupperware type pot :?

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Any ideas for a veggie or fish feature to go with blackened cauliflower, turmeric or spiced, please? Ta.

If I ate meat, sticky chippolatas would suit but I don't, nor fake meat or tofu. Maybe a stuffed veg of some sort? Ta.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox