Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:53 pm

maybe add some za'atar to the marinade?

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... oni-cheese

Harvested the wild garlic whilst out walking yesterday and I made this tonight.
I didn't use the cheeses she suggested, I used up the heel of various ones I already had.

Served with a crunchy mixed salad, it was lovely.
Especially the topping.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:21 am

WWordsworth wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/mar/28/thomasina-miers-recipe-for-wild-garlic-macaroni-cheese

Harvested the wild garlic whilst out walking yesterday and I made this tonight.
I didn't use the cheeses she suggested, I used up the heel of various ones I already had.

Served with a crunchy mixed salad, it was lovely.
Especially the topping.

This looks fabulous!

We are having kitchen cupboards refigured and a change of fridge and freezer. This means having to eat as much as we can from what’s in them by next Thursday. So last night was Chilli with defrosted roast spuds. Tonight will be sausages and OH’s delicious caponata which we have discovered freezes beautifully!

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:46 am

Yesterday we had gammon steaks, baked sweet potatoes and broccoli ... I dressed the broccoli with butter, lemon zest and a generous grinding of black pepper so that it could compete with the other more powerful flavours. OH really liked the broccoli ... he says I can do that again :thumbsup

Today I'm making a traybake with our farm butcher's lovely sausages, chunks of potato, onions and tomatoes ... I'll do my usual thing of tipping a can of sweetcorn over the lot of it and popping it back into the oven forthe last five minutes ... then I'll stir in a knob of butter and lots of black pepper when it comes out of the oven ... I might add a generous handful of chopped chives along with the butter ... they're doing really well in the garden at the moment.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:43 pm

I made a big pot of chilli yesterday, making full use of the Instant Pot
Cooked some rose coco beans under pressure on the bean setting and set aside
Browned 500g mince in 2 batches on the sauté setting, then softened 2 onions, a load of garlic, and added spices, a small tin of chopped tomatoes, some leftover passata, a spoonful of red pepper puree and the beans with a bit of bean stock, the browned mince, and slow cooked for 4 hours

Best in a long time, as I am off cumin and coriander I left them out and replaced with allspice, cardamom and black pepper, rather less than I'd have used of cumin as they are stronger, with oregano, basil, paprika, salt and of course chilli.

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:54 pm

i'm fancying beans for tonight - haven't had them for a week or so (not counting the lentils from the burgers the other day) and i'm getting withdrawal symptoms.
there's also another flush of the kale raab ready to pick.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:53 pm

Doing this for tonight, minus the mushrooms as I don't happen to have any.

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... -and-cider

The motivation was that I had half a bottle of cider left so bought a 4-pack of pork loin steaks at Lidl yesterday and quartered them.
It'll sit in the oven, hopefully getting softer and softer, until after my (still on Zoom) book group tonight, which should finish around 8 ish ... will instruct OH to cook some rice or something. Not sure if there are enough potatoes for mash.

Lunch was Lindsey Bareham's Carrot and Orange soup, which was delicious. The recipe is in her "A Celebration of Soup".

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Not cooking but as close to it as i am able - roasting some sweet potato slices in smoked rapeseed oil. A little thyme. I might have them with a little feta... Some lime or lemon juice? Will see how I feel. Not really terribly interested in eating at the moment, but looking forward to this.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Goodness I've been remiss at posting this week. :oops:
Tuesday we had dinner at my sister's. Yesterday I cooked Jamie Oliver's Gingery beef mince in black bean sauce which had with rice, broccoli, green beans and shredded omelette. Tonight it's bung it in traybake of chicken, potatoes, peppers, onions, green beans and baby tomatoes tossed in jerk spice. One of those use up lurking veg before the groceries arrive tomorrow.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:15 pm

I'll be really pushed for time this evening, so I'll quickly make something I've made dozens of times, when i'm in the mood. Dead simple - just "melt" a tin of anchovies in some garlicky olive oil, then add a tin of tomatoes, and cook for a little while till it reaches "sauce" consistency. If I've got any, I'd chuck some capers in. Throw in some almost ready pasta, and finish off in the sauce. Not remotely sophisticated, but it's one of those don't knock it till you've tried it things.

Postby Suffs » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:43 pm

Last night we had panfried lamb's liver, rosy in the middle, with creamy mash and cauliflower and broccoli in a bechamel sauce.

I had no idea how we were going to be fixed for water in the kitchen today, so while I was at the farm shop I picked up some oven-bake breaded cod fillets and oven chips, and we can have them with forzen peas. No prep and hardly any water involved.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Sounds delicious, Suffs, even though you have water again :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:54 pm

What delicious things you're all having!

Gruney, you'd be entitled to call that a puttanesca sauce and sound foodie I think ;). Sounds very good - I found 4 tins of anchovies in the cupboard the other day so I may do something similar.

Gingery mince sounds unusual. Is it in the 5 ingredients book? I must look.

My appetite hasn't been quite right. All this week I've made Buddah bowls of veg, grains, nuts etc but usually with meat, fish and/or cheese as well. It's been just the thing. Last night it included hot cauliflower with a generous dollop of garlic and herb Philadelphia.

Postby liketocook » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:47 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
Gingery mince sounds unusual. Is it in the 5 ingredients book? I must look.

It's from the 7 Ways book EM. Unfortunately not one he's published online but it's super simple.
Ginger, garlic, red chilli, beef mince and a jar of black bean sauce topped with omelette and spring onions. The recipe uses 500g of mince but I tend to use 250g plus a diced red pepper and that feeds us both with some leftovers.

I had the similar to suffs last night - breaded haddock, peas, broad beans and air fried diced baby potatoes.

Tonight it's Cajun spiced burgers, a mix of turkey & pork mince, diced shallots, garlic and Cajun spice. I'll make some coleslaw to go with them.

Postby liketocook » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:31 pm

I was pleased with last night's burgers, the Cajun spice worked really well with the turkey and pork mince.
278163878_10222386172666410_3945911757036143196_n.jpg
278163878_10222386172666410_3945911757036143196_n.jpg (166.82 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

Pork chops are defrosting for tonight, I still haven't decided what to have with them.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:23 am

GD and her mum came round last night so I invited them to am impromptu supper.
We had a tray bake with chicken, mini sausages, little potatoes, courgette chunks, butternut squash, mushrooms and tomatoes on the vine. Simplyseasoned with garlic, onion powder and salt. I'd meant to include cloves of garlic but forgot to buy any. I haven't done a tray bake for ages, it was simple but really tasty. We had garlic bread slices too.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 am

Sounds just the ticket, EM. Tonight, I'll be making a tomato and nigella seeds dhal - new to me, from Rukmini Iyer's "The Quick Roasting Tin".

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:52 am

Gruney, do report back. A friend did a couple of her recipes from one of her other books, and the timings were way out - both dishes needed a lot longer than was given in the instructions.

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Yesterday we had roasted rolled belly of pork, with roasted carrots, potatoes and buttered hispi cabbage with fennel seeds, apple sauce and mustard gravy. Lots of crunchy crackling :yum

Today I've cooked some salad potatoes, removed the skins and tossed them in mayo and yoghurt with a generous handful of chopped fresh chives from the garden; then I made a big batch of chunky coleslaw with white cabbage, carrots, fennel and apple with a simiar dressing to the potatoes, and poached two pieces of salmon in a liquor containing herbs and a dash of vermouth. OH is going to be very happy this evening. :D

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:05 pm

I'm sort of making this for tonight
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... on-galette

However, I failed to shop appropriately and as I am confined to barracks before lens replacement surgery on Thursday I have had to improvise a bit.

I didn't have the ingredients for the vegan bechamel so I made a regular one.
(No vegan guests so no real issue)

I quite liked the idea of miso so I have stirred a bit through the sliced onions.

Also no maple syrup so I didn't bother to sub anything.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox