Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:42 pm

I saw Nigella make her chicken and frozen pea traybake on tv yesterday so I thought I’d do a version with a couple of small duck legs

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chicken ... a-traybake

A few notes
Although she says petits p pois she used the more robust garden peas, so did I, I think this is right

900g peas for 4 people is far too much, 600 g or a little more is plenty, I cut down but not enough

I didn’t use dill, I used thyme initially and finished with mint, as that’s kind of traditional for duck with green peas

The leeks would be better sliced thinner

I didn’t use any oil as duck can be fatty, in fact I get very little fat out, the duck cooked and the skin crisped but didn’t really brown so I gave it a minute under the grill

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:31 pm

How interesting. I would, of course, trust both you and Nigella but if I'd read it anywhere else I would have either expected the peas to dry out like bullets or overcook in the bird liquid. I might try it.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:47 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I would have either expected the peas to dry out like bullets or overcook in the bird liquid.

And me, I saw this recipe recently (here perhaps) and wondered about the peas turning to mush.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:36 am

Baked fish in peppers sounds delish, Gill - how do you do yours?

The basque way. Fish brandada. They use salt cod, but I use hake or monkfish.
Making a thick garlic and lemon rind bechamel for the stuffing.
You can make the red pepper sauce to go over it. But I don't really.

https://www.bascofinefoods.com/spanish- ... -salt-cod/

Sue
That's a good looking find of a recipe.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:49 am

I’ve been very bad at posting here. I finally (after nearly three months) have my right arm back which makes typing (and cooking!) easier!

On Friday we had prawn and asparagus risotto. It was delicious. On Saturday we were out for lunch with family and I had a delicious burger. Dinner was just picking at cheese and bit. We had a big cooked breakfast before heading home on Sunday. So no lunch required. Dinner was cod with a white bean and chorizo ‘stew’

I was home late last night and had tortellini with (rani brand - which I think is rather good) pesto. Tonight will be either fish pie or salmon and noodles.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:50 am

It all sounds lovely, Rocky. The fish looks very good too Gillthepainter.

I'm into creating 'bowls' at the moment of whatever's around (veg, nuts, beans, grains, fish etc) so not very interesting but delicious. Sainsburys has devoted a whole aisle to foods that people from mid and eastern Asia would want as well as bit for Polish. It's great because you can buy spices, tamarind and things like that for less than in the spice aisle! They've got tins of all sorts of interesting looking and inexpensive beans. I tried brown chick peas last night. Smaller than 'normal' ones and nice for a salad.

I've just had a delicious breakfast for a sunny day. Strawberries and blueberries mixed with feta, basil and a little drizzle of honey and low carb toast.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:23 pm

I made up a meatball dish to use things up

I had some M&S “Best Ever” (sic) beef burgers- not taken, too big (160 g) and so solidly compressed they really didn’t cook well

I also had a jar of Mutti sugo (tomato sauce) with peperoncini. I know it’s chilli, but it was a lot hotter than I expected

So I used the burgers as mince and converted them to meatballs, breaking them up, adding onion, garlic, herbs, breadcrumbs, seasoning and an egg. I browned them in the IP mini, removed a ridiculous amount of fat, added the sauce and cooked in slow cooker mode for 4 hours

This tamed the sauce and turned 2 burgers to 3 portions of meatballs, I had some with pasta.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am

Yesterday was neither fish pie nor noodles. We quite fancied an omelette so had a bacon Parmesan and onion omelette with salad. I’ll have the salmon this evening. And will have the fish pie tomorrow after OH’s late meeting

I think your ‘bowls’ sound delicious EM.

And we’ll done Sue on such a clever way to use the burgers.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:23 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
Baked fish in peppers sounds delish, Gill - how do you do yours?

The basque way. Fish brandada. They use salt cod, but I use hake or monkfish.
Making a thick garlic and lemon rind bechamel for the stuffing.
You can make the red pepper sauce to go over it. But I don't really.

https://www.bascofinefoods.com/spanish- ... -salt-cod/

Another one added to my list of 'must makes' ..... this list is now as long as my arm ;) :roll:

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:25 pm

Not cooking per se, but I had a lovely lunch of broad beans from the garden (skinned, of course) some really good mozzarella, some ok tomatoes. Then macerated strawberries and cream. I've been snacking on garden raspberries, and bought cherries too.
Dinner is... a quesadilla? Flatbread calzone? Pizza wrap? Basically an oven baked quesadillo made with French Provencal sauce (my last tiny tin of it), cheddar, oregano, smoked garlic, sweetcorn. Slightly trashy food but I wanted something quick and lightish.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:03 am

We had lunch with a friend on Saturday in a pub we love. We (OH and I) shared a salt beef sandwich and some Sichuan ribs. Delicious. He had a work event that evening so I went to the early showing of the Emma Thompson film. There was a nice chicken chili doing its thing in the slow cooker which we had when we got home.

Yesterday I had various bits and pieces for lunch cheese couscous and some salad. For dinner we had prawn and asparagus risotto again!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 pm

I am mkaing egg and vegetable fried rice with smokey (I hope) marinated tofu tonight. It is semi-prepped.

I was also going to make rhubarb crumble, but...flour disaster. I have semi-cooked the rhubarb anyway.. It needs pre-cooking as it's end of season and I won't know how sharp it is until it's cooked.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:25 pm

Sweet potato and chickpea "curry" https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/swee ... ecipe-tips
Not really what I would have called curry, as only spice was cumin, but very tasty!

Herbi, what was your flour disaster? :shock:

Ah, just seen on another thread, sorry to hear that :thumbsdown

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox