Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:58 am

RockyBVI wrote:Thanks KC2 and OMCO. I have historically not had much success with oven baked risotto but I might have another go!

I hadn't either, until Lokelani posted this recipe which I have now made several times and it's been perfect each time. If you like the ingredients (which are quite tweakable!) it's worth a try IMO.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smo ... ek-risotto

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:43 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
RockyBVI wrote:Thanks KC2 and OMCO. I have historically not had much success with oven baked risotto but I might have another go!

I hadn't either, until Lokelani posted this recipe which I have now made several times and it's been perfect each time. If you like the ingredients (which are quite tweakable!) it's worth a try IMO.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smo ... ek-risotto

Thank you EM. That’s really kind. I’ll definitely try this.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:14 pm

Alison Roman Hard roasted cauliflower tonight, delicious, with quinoa. We didn't have feta, just Greek yogurt and mint.

http://my-shittykitchen.blogspot.com/20 ... asted.html

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 pm

Hairy Bikers kedgeree for us tonight.
It's the best version I have come across.

I'm currently using Kashmiri garam masala, bought in error at the Asian supermarket.
Delicious.
No going back.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:50 am

I had very simply prepared lamb's liver with stir fried veg and a sauce whose main ingredients were tomato puree, garlic, Worcester sauce and plenty of pepper.

I had read something about liver earlier in the day and couldn't remember when I'd last bought any, apart from chicken livers.

It was delicately sliced (in a pack from Waitrose) and cost £1.50. There was enough to feed 2-3 people. Funny how it's gone out of vogue, it was delicious.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:38 am

I love liver but it’s another thing he’s decided he’s gone off.

We are having salmon, asparagus and Jerseys tonight.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:34 am

When I had 2 cats I occasionally fed all 3 of us on lamb’s liver

It seemed mean to eat it in front of them when it cost no more than their regular diet

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm afraid liver is one of the very few things I really can't eat - I can just about manage nice pate if it's not overpoweringly livery. I put it down to my mother serving liver and onions to the rest of my siblings every Saturday lunch. It put me off liver for life and onions for quite a few years! The smell ....

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:17 pm

I love lamb's liver but I'm a lone voice in my family who won't touch it. I have a portion of liver and bacon in the freezer from a batch I made a wee while ago. As you say EM such good value, mine cost me around £2 and generously fed me, two portions for my sister's neighbours, a portion for her pooch and cat plus one for the freezer.
Yum kedgeree another favourite of mine but DS2 not so keen sop not had it for ages.
Cajun spiced chicken wings for us tonight in as tray bake with sweet potatoes and peppers.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm

We like liver here, there's a farmer from Saint Evenage way who comes to the local FMs, his lamb & mutton is good and the liver especially so.

First peas this week, tonight we're having the pea risotto from Raymond Blanc's Kew on a Plate. :yum

The next recipe in the book is for lamb's liver with pea pureé. :idea: Mmmm.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:40 pm

I’m a liver fan too … has to be one of the most divisive foods out there . You definitely either love it or hate it . Liver and bacon is a gorgeous dish in winter

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:44 pm

I'm in the love-it camp - lambs, calves', pig, chicken :yum so I can't understand why it's been so very long since I've had any......
Could murder some liver & bacon with creamy mash right now - or faggots, or chicken liver salad........mmmmmmmmmmm!

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Rick Stein's From Venice to Istanbul - the Venice episode - there was a young woman cooking liver and onions with a lot of white wine and, I think, water. It looked marvellous, but I'm blowed if I can remember anything more than the gist of what was involved. Does anyone remember it? I bought his book, but I think it only covers dishes he subsequently made.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:07 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Rick Stein's From Venice to Istanbul - the Venice episode - there was a young woman cooking liver and onions with a lot of white wine and, I think, water. It looked marvellous, but I'm blowed if I can remember anything more than the gist of what was involved. Does anyone remember it? I bought his book, but I think it only covers dishes he subsequently made.

This perhaps Gruney? https://memoriediangelina.com/2010/06/1 ... veneziana/

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Thanks ltc.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:16 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Thanks ltc.

You're welcome Gruney, sounds pretty similar to what you described and vaguely remembered the dish being made on the programme and like you thought it looked marvellous.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 pm

A very simple dinner for us tonight, when I can be bothered to go and fix it.

A gentle sauté of garlic, chives and maybe some onion to be stirred through some hot tagliatelle.
With added smoked salmon and a dash of cream.
And a handful of chopped parsley.

And a glass of sauvignon blanc.
Probably.
Very likely.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:24 am

Sounds delicious WW

It's "can't be a*sed Thursday" for us so it will be a quick dish of stuffed pasta, chorizo and tomato sauce from the freezer this evening.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Made a cauldron of chilli, yesterday and have given it 24 hours in the fridge to improve. I'll wade into that, tonight, and put the rest in the frreezer. It's the sort of thing that requires an early doors pint first - I hope you agree.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Sounds like a perfectly sensible plan to me Gruney!

We are having salmon tonight with fresh peas, pea shoots and crushed potatoes. I'll bake the salmon with a large splash of white wine, lemon and parsley.

We have builders here working on an outdoor kitchen area in our garden so we have promised bacon sandwiches tomorrow morning. I'm out at a twilight spa evening tomorrow night so it will be canape type things for dinner I think. The rest of them will have dan dan noodles or san choi bau...something with pork mince anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox