Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 am

jeral wrote:
scullion, are Glamorgan saus any good if bought (or from where?), or if best to make own, what's the best sub for Caerphilly please? Ta.

i'm not aware of any on the market and the ones i make are less glamorgan, more west country. i use cheddar and (when in season) three cornered leek growing, rampantly, over the garden.
they are very easy to make (especially if you have a food processor to make breadcrumbs, chop and grate). the worst bit is the flour, egg and breadcrumb coating but even that's less of a pain if you remember which hand to use with which coating.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:56 pm

RockyBVI wrote:OH expressed a wish for pies from the butcher / deli around the corner yesterday so I popped along mid afternoon. No pies!
Happy Friday all.

Is that the bucher on the Strand parade by Kew Bridge? Yonks ago I remember getting some very good sausages there and had friends who never went to any other butcher, ever!

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:07 pm

Not cooking but... a buffalo mozzarella and tomato salad (a small handful of cherry tomatoes fresh off the vein) home grown basil, a drizzle of smoked oil and a dollop of M&S caponata. Sour dough Swedish ryvita-type thing with cultured butter on the side. I have iced coffee chilling in the fridge.
I am tempted to say you don't get much more middle class than that?!?! :? :)
I may now eat a very trashy (bought) dessert. It's been a (needlessly - as far as I can tell) stressful morning...

Postby liketocook » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Minimal cooking tonight as too blooming hot but despite the scary kitchen temperature (over 40C late afternoon) I've popped the oven on (so I can walk away and leave it to it!) for "Greek" chips (potatoes slices, oregano, olive oil, salt & pepper) with premade cauliflower cheese grills. Coleslaw, beetroot salad and green salad with it. Despite the temperatures we wanted a hot meal.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:22 am

Tesco used to sell passable Glamorgan sausages. They stopped a few years ago though. Someone on here told me that Morrisons did them too.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 am

I used to like the Tesco Glamorgan sausages I was disappointed when they stopped stocking them. No sign at our local Morrisons unfortunately.
The cauliflower cheese grills weren't great, I've not bought them for a while and they've obviously changed the recipe. They still get good reviews but can't say I'm fan anymore.
Still very hot here today so quick naan bread pizzas with salad for us tonight.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am

I hadn't realised that the cauli cheese grills were something you bought ready made. They sounded delicious and I thought you might have a recipe! What a shame they weren't as good as before. Hats off to you cooking in the heat though!

All the talk of Glamorgan sausages made me look out a recipe I've had for many years to see what kind of cheese was used. The list of ingredients just says 'cheese' which
at that time would have been any one of the then popular cheddar, Leicester, Cheshire or Caerphilly depending on what one had.Caerphilly makes sense but I think I used cheddar mostly.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks re Glam. saus, and yes I can process breadcrumbs, although I did see some fluorescent orange ones on Amazon and was sorely tempted :mrgreen: I have some Wensleydale lurking, so will try that.

Badger's Mate, Morrisons are off my Xmas card list. They said I had to show them my passport before they'd accept me as a new online customer because they doubted I was the one who lived at the property I was trying to register with. Eh what? No chance mate and passports don't even show addresses, so gawd knows what they were playing at. I wonder how Morrisons will change if this takeover deal goes through.

It's windy-cold and grey here today, so lunch will be a mixed mushroom stroganoff with broccoli. A cheat as I bought a packet of Schwartz strog sauce mix to try. How exciting, ha ha, anticipating if, or by how much, I reckon it might benefit from tweaking like with a spot of whisky.

liketocook: A local caff does good, big flat cauli burgers. They're soft, spud probably, then crumbed. I make similar adding a hint of garlic, thyme and EVOO to the mashed spud then add little cooked florets before crumbing. No cheese usually, although a blob pushed into the middle works if oven-cooking them since those are necessarily deeper.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:28 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I hadn't realised that the cauli cheese grills were something you bought ready made. They sounded delicious and I thought you might have a recipe! What a shame they weren't as good as before. Hats off to you cooking in the heat though!

All the talk of Glamorgan sausages made me look out a recipe I've had for many years to see what kind of cheese was used. The list of ingredients just says 'cheese' which
at that time would have been any one of the then popular cheddar, Leicester, Cheshire or Caerphilly depending on what one had.Caerphilly makes sense but I think I used cheddar mostly.

Lol I think they would be quite faffy to make EM though maybe not that much harder than croquettes. I do make cauliflower bakes with leftover cauliflower cheese, diced cooked potatoes, peas and either puff or filo pastry but the grills were a handy freezer standby for when I didn't fancy cooking much. Once the weather cools down I might make a batch of the bakes and get them stashed in the freezer

ETA - leftover cauliflower cheese makes a very good toastie filling :yum

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:31 am

:yum the cauli burgers sound good jeral

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:35 am

liketocook wrote:leftover cauliflower cheese makes a very good toastie filling

makes lovely soup, too.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 am

scullion wrote:
liketocook wrote:leftover cauliflower cheese makes a very good toastie filling

makes lovely soup, too.

Doesn't it just, a favourite of mine is cauliflower cheese and baked potato soup. Just the thing on a cold day and a great use up of leftovers. Worked well with leftover roast potatoes too though it's seldom we we have such a thing lol.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Glamorgan sausages are really easy to make. The recipe I´ve got suggests Caerphilly, but Lancashire or Wensleydale would probably work too. Over here there´s absolutely none of that, so I have to use local white cheese - I´ve got plenty of choice because 95% of Venezuelan cheese is white!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Stage one of tonight's scallops with tomatillo and citrus ... with my first harvested tomatillos :thumbsup

Thank you Herbi, for the tomatillo plants!
Attachments
Tomatillo and citrus dressing.JPG
Tomatillo and citrus dressing.JPG (46.95 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:41 pm

It looks good, KC2!

I just spent quite a while topping and tailing about 1kg of gooseberries (pink and green - from the garden) which are now baking and with which I will make a fool.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Good cookin goin on :D

That looks fantastic KC2 - betting it will be excellent with tomatillos. Report back pls!

Love blackened cauliflower, Jeral, but never made it myself - it's a friend's signature dish. He does the whole cauli - so good - so impressive too! But have seen florets and quarters roasted too. What method do people like to use? Any tips and tricks?

Herbi - your gooseberries sound delicious.

Tasty dude food, Clive - bacon dauphinoise :lol:

We have a superabundance of squash flowers which have become my latest cooking craze. I've also been using the leaves which are really good, too. Very tasty and used like a kale or greens ingredients. I've done the fitters/tempura thing quite a few times, stuffed them and will make the River Cafe penne with zucchini and ricotta with squash flowers and maybe home made pasta if I feel inspired 8-) Also great raw in or as a salad. And Diana Kennedy has a recipe for a flores de calabaza quesadilla filling.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Fab, ZC!

Scallops were great. The tomatillos were a whole new experience. The dish is so delicious we were thinking that it would be really difficult to find something else to follow it, should we wish to offer it to friends, and as a main course, I think the scallops required would probably exceed our budget!
Attachments
Alison Roman scallops and tomatillos etc.JPG
Alison Roman scallops and tomatillos etc.JPG (50.29 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Nothing Fancy scallops, tomatillos, citrus and beans.JPG
Nothing Fancy scallops, tomatillos, citrus and beans.JPG (33.35 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Looks great KC2. Right about scallop budget for a crowd - if the inclination ever occurred tho, definitely worth taking a look in the freezer section of any of the well stocked Soho Chinatown supermarkets - they usually have big bags of frozen fish and shellfish for surprisingly little compared to elsewhere. Big into banquets :D

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Just back from a weekend with my brother in Lancaster, so it's quick and simple food for us tonight.

Sea bass fillets with chopped onion, lemon zest, oregano and a bit of basil, baked en papilotte.
Served with potatoes, green beans, French beans and peas from the garden.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:37 pm

So glad it worked well KC2!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox