Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Thank you KC2. It looks lovely!

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm

How do you do like to do your t-bones, ltc?

OMCO - what a roll you're on! As per!

KC2 - that chicken recipe looks good. Noticed that Alison Roman's book is called Nothing Fancy which is the same title as one by grande dame Diana Kennedy which came out in 2016. Strange thing to do ... 8-)

Yes on top of a mound of white steamed rice. Not specifically Cajun but blackened all the same. It's a marinade I've been making for fish steaks - garlic, paprika, salt, evoo. It's quite delicate - I like the flavour of the fish to come thru so I don't overload it with spicy flavours. The paprika will colour and darken. I usually have the garlic coarsely minced and take of out before cooking so that it doesn't burn but this one had an extra touch of flat alioli that had a suspension of garlic paste. Mahi mahi is a white fleshed fish but the marinade turns the outside red.

I made a batch of spectacularly failed Spanish alioli the day before, which was supposed to go with the boquerones. Garlic, pinch of salt, drops of lemon juice using pestle and mortar, adding oil (I used avocado) to emulsify. But no. Never emulsified. So I have a jar of amazing tasting garlic oil.

Sandwiches tonight! :D

Postby liketocook » Wed May 05, 2021 11:54 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

How do you do like to do your t-bones, ltc?

ZC, Just grilled and medium rare.Ramekin of peppercorn sauce on the side :yum , I'm trying to post a picture but the file is too big and I can't crop it any further.

OMCO - I love the Diana Henry Chicken with feta recipe. The last time I made I had leftover harissa yoghurt which made a very good marinade for some chicken pieces. :)

Lasagne for us tonight using up spare filling from the Italian sausage and ricotta cannelloni I made a couple of months ago.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm

I love the sound of chicken with feta. Must look that up.

We had Thai green curry with chicken and loads of veg. Rather than have it with rice I threw in a packet of udon noodles. Nice change. Lunch will be salad and bits and will have to have a rummage to see what’s left. We are running a bit low but fingers crossed we should be allowed out tomorrow. For now I think we will fight over who has leftover curry and leftover chili!

Postby Amyw » Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 pm

Gorgeous prawn stirfry cooked totally independently by one of the autistic clients I work with

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 pm

What a talented person! Are the crispy looking things the prawns?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 05, 2021 11:52 pm

Great looking stir fry

I finally decided just to pretend my cauliflower was broccoli and made a miso noodle soup with some cauliflower, oyster mushrooms, soba noodles, usual flavourings and an egg

Has anyone else noticed that cauliflowers have changed and now they are all such tight, solid, heads it is very difficult to divide them into florets?

Postby Renee » Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 am

What great food you're all having! The prawn stir-fry has turned out so well, Amy, with plenty of mushrooms which I added to last night's meal. I really shouldn't have added the potato croquettes, but they were left over from the previous day when I needed a quick meal. I made Spanish style hake.

P1000086.JPG
P1000086.JPG (185.51 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 am

:!:
Stokey Sue wrote:Has anyone else noticed that cauliflowers have changed and now they are all such tight, solid, heads it is very difficult to divide them into florets?

Often, yes. The large cauli I had last week was more 'normal' and was a really lovely one. I remember caulis being quite big in days gone by so maybe the smaller ones are stunted.

I had some of the previous day's chicken & veg soup left which was flavoured with garlic, ginger and chilli so added more of the nice stock, more veg, lots of bean sprouts, some small prawns and the remains of packets of rice and noodles from the fridge together with a generous spoonful of Waitrose 'nutty satay' sauce. What a notch potch! It was delicious, I wouldn't have been ashamed of serving it to guests.

Postby scullion » Thu May 06, 2021 11:48 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Has anyone else noticed that cauliflowers have changed and now they are all such tight, solid, heads it is very difficult to divide them into florets?

it may be that they are being harvested early before they've 'grown apart' a bit.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Lovely looking stir fry Amy :yum

Yesterday's lasagne was very tasty but very scruffy, should have used a bigger/deeper dish lol.

Bangers & mash with veg and onion gravy tonight. Not a very Spring like meal but it's not very Spring like weather!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 pm

liketocook wrote:OMCO - I love the Diana Henry Chicken with feta recipe. The last time I made I had leftover harissa yoghurt which made a very good marinade for some chicken pieces.

We all loved it! OH took some leftover harissa yoghurt to work with salad, pitta and cajun chicken breast.

On a similar note, eldest has made green goddess dip this week with lemon zest, basil, pea shoots, parsley, rocket and yoghurt which we've had with veg sticks, nachos, jacket potatoes, pittas etc.

EM I am loving the sound of your chicken noodle soup. We have got salmon tonight but I might have to go shopping so we can make a noodle soup tomorrow night. We dont have any homemade stock in unfortunately so I will buy some as well as Chinese leaf which we love in noodle soups.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm

a big pat on the back for your client, Amy.
Cooking is one of those timely processes that is not really so easy.

Nice one Renee.
I must put hake on my shopping list.
Sue, I got an expensive cauli recently, and it was more stalk than flower. There wasn't enough on it as a side dish, I had to add peas.

Salmon here tonight, OMCO.
With asparagus and a dill & mustard sauce.

Postby Renee » Thu May 06, 2021 5:37 pm

Did you make the dill and mustard sauce Gill?

Postby Amyw » Thu May 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:What a talented person! Are the crispy looking things the prawns?

Yes he’s fab , makes brownies totally from scratch and tomorrow he’s making a quorn and kale risotto totally independently too :klingonbanana

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 07, 2021 7:09 am

I did, Renee.
From here: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/25085 ... ard-sauce/

Quite a nice wee site.

Postby Renee » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Thanks so much Gill and what a great website! Healthy eating is just my thing at the moment!

Postby WolfGirl » Fri May 07, 2021 10:22 am

Gill and Renee, piggybacking on your conversation, thank you.
I love dill and mustard sauce with salmon but confess to having always bought jars of it previously. In the last two or three years it’s become increasingly difficult to find it in the shops, DD and DS have kept me supplied as it’s obviously easier to get down south, but since the first lockdown I’ve had to do without.
That recipe looks perfect (and easy!) so I need never be without again. What’s the longest time you’ve kept it for? Or does it all get eaten straight away?

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 07, 2021 10:46 am

Last night was a curry, a lower fat version of MJ's Baingan achari - aubergine cooked with tomatoes, ginger, garlic, fennel & nigella seed. I griddle the aubs rather than cook them in a lot of oil. Plus her beetroot, onion, tomato & cumin dish. Served with chickpea pancakes, poppadums & pickles. We love the Benares gooseberry pickle and I need to use up some goosegogs from the freezer, must move it all along a bit, make some space for the new season.

It made a change from asparagus... :D

Postby scullion » Fri May 07, 2021 10:55 am

last night's dinner was pastys from the freezer. it hit the spot.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox