Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:37 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
RockyBVI wrote:OH expressed a wish for pies from the butcher / deli around the corner yesterday so I popped along mid afternoon. No pies!
Happy Friday all.

Is that the bucher on the Strand parade by Kew Bridge? Yonks ago I remember getting some very good sausages there and had friends who never went to any other butcher, ever!

It’s now on Kew Bridge itself - but it’s the same people and very very good. It’s expensive but we’ll worth it for a treat. Gorgeous looking scallops btw.

After a lovely quiet Friday night, we’ve had rather a manic weekend. On Saturday morning we drove up to some friends in Buckinghamshire for a gathering of OH’s school chums and families. There were 25 of us. A lovely barbecue with lamb kebabs, chicken and halloumi with loads of salads. I had made a quinoa, avocado, black bean, kale and feta salad and some hm hummus. We stayed the night and we were meant to have leftover meat, but we came back from a late afternoon walk and the two dogs had managed to wrestle the leftovers to the floor and ate it all. Leftover salads it was. Bacon sarnies this morning. We then met some BVI friends in a village on the way back (Denham - just off the A40 with lots of lovely looking pubs). We nibbled on bread, dips and olives to start, then I had mushroom and spinach Wellington. Delicious. We’re hungrier than we should be so going to have salmon with some salad for dinner.

Postby liketocook » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Sounds like a lovely weekend Rocky :D
Very inviting looking plates KC2 and ZC :yum
I'm "home alone" for a few days and it's still pretty hot so I'm keeping it simple tonight with a lamb steak, Ayrshire potatoes and various veg.
I have very small piece of gammon (the end of a larger joint I split) defrosting to cook tomorrow.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:21 am

Good idea re the scallops from Chinatown, ZC :thumbsup
LTC, I love gammon :yum

Rocky, that's a lovely sounding salad. What sort of dressing did you make with it?
I have everything you list, although cavolo nero not kale, and am very tempted to give it a whirl tomorrow!
Did you blanch the kale?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:48 am

All food sound great
Know Denham well Rocky having worked at the Denham end of Uxbridge for many years, known for film people

Didn’t do anything very exciting but made a stir fry with tofu I marinated p, loads of veg, and both chilli bean paste and black bean paste, loads of flavours I’d not have enjoyed quite recently.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Good idea re the scallops from Chinatown, ZC :thumbsup
LTC, I love gammon :yum

Rocky, that's a lovely sounding salad. What sort of dressing did you make with it?
I have everything you list, although cavolo nero not kale, and am very tempted to give it a whirl tomorrow!
Did you blanch the kale?

I cook the quinoa and whilst it’s still warm (but not hot) I add very finely diced kale and red onion. When it has cooled down I add diced red pepper, black beans, feta, avocado and sometimes coriander. A small shake of cumin and a larger one of smoked paprika and some squeezed lime juice and that’s it. We love it.

It feels chilly today and I’m working from home so I might make a fish pie for this evening.

Denham was rather delightful Sue!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:18 am

RockyBVI wrote:
After a lovely quiet Friday night, we’ve had rather a manic weekend. On Saturday morning we drove up to some friends in Buckinghamshire for a gathering of OH’s school chums and families. There were 25 of us. A lovely barbecue with lamb kebabs, chicken and halloumi with loads of salads. I had made a quinoa, avocado, black bean, kale and feta salad and some hm hummus. We stayed the night and we were meant to have leftover meat, but we came back from a late afternoon walk and the two dogs had managed to wrestle the leftovers to the floor and ate it all. Leftover salads it was. Bacon sarnies this morning. We then met some BVI friends in a village on the way back (Denham - just off the A40 with lots of lovely looking pubs). We nibbled on bread, dips and olives to start, then I had mushroom and spinach Wellington. Delicious. We’re hungrier than we should be so going to have salmon with some salad for dinner.

I was wondering where in Bucks you were Rocky ... and Denham is the next village to where I live in Harefield.. Denham Village hall is where I do my Fitsteps and Zumba and the Green Man pub is where we reward ourselves with a coffee and biscuit after our class ... As you now know, a very pretty village and lovely community.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:49 pm

A little while ago I made this; salmon with a herb crust, mixing herbs. bread crumbs, juice of fresh orange and zest. Mixture was a bit wet, that will be changed next time. Some carrot and swede mash, which OH loves (out of the freezer, made by the carer) plus green veg.

salmon.jpg
salmon.jpg (187.48 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:34 pm

That looks (and sounds) lovely Dennis.

Pats - it was the Green Man that we had lunch in yesterday - lovely. This was after spending Saturday night just outside Weedon (near Aylesbury) and then dropping our friend back home to his house in Gawcott near Milton Keynes - so we had quite the tour of Bucks!

I have a cauliflower that needs to be used up so cauliflower cheese it is this evening. Definitely with broccoli - and something else.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 pm

I have 4 nights alone this week so I am indulging myself with the sort of stuff I really like.

Tonight I sliced a courgette, dressed it with s&p, olive oil and smoked garlic then cooked it in the oven for half an hour.
Green beans, peas and chard from the garden plus some spring onion, were briefly cooked and the whole lot was stirred through some cooked basmati

It needed a bit of oomph, a splash of soy sauce did the trick.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:38 pm

That looks lovely Dennis :yum
Ditto WW, not tonight but I plan to make soused herring tomorrow which he can't stand.
Gammon baked with pineapple this evening served with roasted sweet potato & carrot chunks and garlic & tomato stuffed flat mushrooms.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Dennis, that looks absolutely delicious :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:44 pm

Yes it does! :yum

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Thank you :oops: a bit wet, but today's with piece of pollack will be better.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Yesterday I made pink and green gooseberry fool (fruit from the garden.)

51339195086_ca5877c9ba_c.jpg
51339195086_ca5877c9ba_c.jpg (246.65 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Tonight a rather retro roast veg (aubergine, courgettes and mild chillis from the garden, plus bought peppers, red onion and other bits and bobs) couscous salad which I will serve wtih feta. Some subntle smoky flavours from the oil, smoked garlic, smoked paprika and chipotle paste involved.

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 pm

homemade (but from the freezer) pastys and homemade coleslaw made jointly by our son and me - i.e. too much veg shredded but 'undressed' by him and donated to us; a little mayo, fresh rosemary and black pepper added by me.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm

I made my annual gooseberry fool the other day, Herbi. It wasn't half as pretty as yours!

I possibly sank to a culinary low tonight. A friend and I were wondering the other day if they still sold the frozen braised beef slices in gravy we remembered from 50 or so years ago. They do, these days sold not as Birds Eye but Bisto. I bought some and had it with a lot of mixed lightly sauteed veg. Very retro and 'homely' but rather nice too. I might buy it again. More lovely strawberries picked yesterday and sliced into Greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries from the garden afterwards.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:43 am

Delicious looking fool herbi :yum
EM we used to enjoy a version of the sliced beef for a quick meal when the kids were still at home - bought sliced cooked beef or turkey from the deli isle warmed in some instant gravy. I might need to revisit it at some point :)
No soused herring for me, the herring hadn't fared well in the freezer. :cry: Completely my fault for leaving them there for too long. :oops:
Last night was a simple fish pie - cod chunks in a cheese/chive/parsley sauce topped with sliced cooked baby potatoes and plum tomatoes. I had it with broad beans and carrots.
DS2 returns this evening and I'm making pasta and meatballs for dinner.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm

We have friends coming for supper in a couple of weeks and we had to try out the main course last night :thumbsup foil-baked salmon steaks, with artichokes (from a jar), dill, parsley and lemon ... :yum :D

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:35 pm

That gooseberry fool looks amazing Herbi . I spotted gooseberries today at the greengrocers , might have to revisit to buy them .

Rocky , I made your salad the other night with couscous instead of quinoa , as the local Sainsbury’s didn’t sell any . Was really good , thank you , will feature again

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Salmon sounds good KC2 :yum
I've just given my basil a much needed haircut and made a pot of pesto using walnuts instead of pine nuts. It's having a think overnight in the fridge to let the flavours mingle then I'll freeze it. There's enough for 4 small 2 portion tubs.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox