Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:25 am

We had a small-ish potroast chicken on Sunday (done in the Crock-pot) so on Monday we had chicken salad, and then yesterday I made a large chicken and leek risotto for supper ... plenty for the two of us yesterday, an enough for a portion for me today, and a portion to go in the freezer. It'll either re-heat as a risotto, or I might turn it into a couple of portions of soup, adding a bit of stock, whizzing it with the stick blender and adding a bit of cream and perhaps some chives.

Postby liketocook » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:52 am

Gruney2 wrote:That quiche and pavlova - I could manage those, and no mistake! Tonight, I'll be making something quite light and tasty, and really easy - I'm still in that long covid sort of mood. It sounds quite exotic, but couldn't be simpler - Strapatsada. If you're impressed now - you won't be when you open the link :lol: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/strapat ... a_20220425

Good choice Gruney, my Greek DIL-to-be makes a version of these with tomatoes, courgette and feta and very good it is too! :yum
I've not slow cooked a chicken for ages suffs, it does seem to increase the amount of meat you get from it and of course all the resulting cooking juices are fab. :)
I seemed to have managed not to post since last week. Over the weekend we tried out DS2's new gas bbq with burgers on Saturday and pork steaks on Sunday. On Monday I made chicken enchiladas using this BBC recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chic ... adas_02595 and last night it was a sausage pasta bake with salad and garlic bread. Tonight it's Nadiya's baked chicken, rice and peas which has become a firm favourite.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:24 pm

Great inspiration! It's been sorely lacking here. Due to loads of commitments we've got into the habit of last minute freezer dinners and daily top up shops, which never results in particularly exciting meals. I want to get back to shopping lists and meal planning.

The kids are loving cowboy pie...cooked sliced sausages, beans, sweetcorn topped with cheesy mash and baked until bubbling... which has featured at least once a week for them.

Last night we had teriyaki salmon, noodles etc.

I've marinaded lamb for kebabs tonight and we have jersey royals, pea shoots, wild garlic and a full veg box to play with. There's some greek yoghurt too so i'll make a dip.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:27 pm

Tonight we're going to have this, but with rosemary instead of basil as we haven't got any:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... es-and-ham

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:56 pm

I'm partial to a cowboy pie myself OMCO :yum .
Salmon baked with butter and lemon in foil last night served with roasted baby plum tomatoes, crispy potato cubes and green beans.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:54 pm

Glorious sea bass fillets from the excellent fishmonger tonight, served with baby potatoes, asparagus from the garden and a fennel and radish salad.

Postby liketocook » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:38 pm

Beef sausages, cauliflower cheese, baked potatoes and baked mushrooms for dinner yesterday.
Easy one tonight - scampi, oven chips, peas and green beans.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:10 pm

Another dead easy, but really good one tonight - Nigella Lawson's Lamb Ragu. It has no right to be so good from so little effort.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/pappard ... -lamb-ragu

A couple or three glasses of something appropriately toothsome don't go amiss.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:41 pm

Last night I had a tub of chilli from the freezer, which was very nice but a bit of a surprised as it was beef, and Isas expecting veggie

Tonight I had a nice chunky haddock fillet, so I precooked some sliced fennel, put it in a gratin dish with the fish on top, S&P, dash of vermouth, topped with breadcrumbs mixed with a little cheese. Also had some asparagus and peas an a bit of a disappointing spud.

Anyone else tried Jazzy salad potatoes? I steamed them, didn’t think I’d overcooked them, and they were mushy and tasteless. Very disappointed, they looked nice, Cornish.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm

Nobody cooking?
I cooked the rest of the Jazzy spuds in the way used to firm up floury potaties so you can put them in potato salad or curry, cover whole spuds with cold water, bring to the boil, simmer 10 minutes, leave to sit for an hour before draining. Still squidgy, slightly slimy and tasteless, yuk

Sunday's stifado made with lamb neck fillet in the slow cooker was gorgeous though

Postby scullion » Tue May 03, 2022 5:47 pm

i picked a load of spinach last night and made saag aloo - then i had to make (cheat) a couple of other curries to go with it.
it may be leftovers for dinner.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 03, 2022 6:10 pm

The season has meant we had prawn & asparagus linguine the other day, then a poached Guinea fowl on Sunday, cold on Monday. Asparagus again, broad beans and Jersey Royals on Sunday. I was planning to use a colly off the plot but we decided the others were enough. Consequently it will be colly risotto tonight. Tomorrow we’ll probably eat on the way home from Addenbrooke’s and Thursday might well be kapuska with JRs.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue May 03, 2022 7:01 pm

On the caravan and this is on the go

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chic ... bake_82093

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Sounds like green cuisine...... :thumbsup

Badger's Mate wrote: Tomorrow we’ll probably eat on the way home from Addenbrooke’s

Probably the wrong thread - but I hope all is well.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 03, 2022 9:59 pm

(Hopefully) Routine renal transplant clinic for Mrs B. So far, so good. :crossed :crossed :crossed

We treat it as a day out.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 04, 2022 8:09 am

Very glad to hear that Badgers......... :thumbsup

I'm cooked out & have no idea what to have for dinner today - might have to pull the chilli sitting in the freezer out.........does a freezer exist without a chilli living in it?!?! :?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 04, 2022 9:01 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Nobody cooking?

I do admire the variety of things you cook for yourself Sue. Seemingly without endless leftovers.

At the other end of the scale, GD chose fish fingers last night, I had three nice large ones left in the freezer and eked them out with the end of a packet of frozen prawns.We had them with salad and rice (her choice) followed by arctic roll. Tonight I'll be having a chicken & veg stir fry using the chicken I'd thawed for last night before we chose fish fingers :lol:. I've got mushrooms, courgettes and carrots which need to be used.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 04, 2022 11:52 am

We bbq'd Sunday and Monday cooking pork souvlaki and per peri chicken respectively. Both worked really well.
At my sister's for dinner last night. She made Jamie Oliver's Scruffy lasagne using a chunky ciabatta on top instead of almonds it was very good. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pas ... e-lasagne/
Lamb keema saag tonight using very finely chopped rather than minced lamb.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed May 04, 2022 12:31 pm

Special request from J for a minced beef plate pie tonight.

I have used up elderly mushrooms and a tub of rich gravy from the freezer and it smells amazing.

To be served with sauteed cabbage and a few new potatoes.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 07, 2022 9:38 pm

Tonight we have the delights of king prawns in Rick Stein's tomato and garlic sauce, with tagliatelle.
Because there was no linguine in the co-op.
(Only grocery in the village and I can't drive for another week)

PS
The pie was really good.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox