Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Sounds (and looks) nice, KC2. Did you make the non-vegan one? Both look worth trying.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Yes, I did, EM. I'm curious about using the chickpea liquid but since I have a lot of eggs atm, was very happy to use those!
That said, it had risen enormously when I first took it out of the oven so maybe 2 eggs would have been enough. This pic was a few minutes after so it had already settled quite a bit before I thought it was picture worthy!
Attachments
Risen pie.jpg
Risen pie.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

Postby liketocook » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:18 pm

That halloumi pie looks the business KC2 :yum
Yonks ago I confitted a couple of duck legs in the sous vide and unearthed them from the frozen depths yesterday to roast for dinner this evening. I was going to make dauphinoise to go with them but DS2 has requested duck fat roasties, I'm happy to oblige. :yum I also had a tub of duck stock in the freezer so it's reducing nicely with some garlic, rosemary, thyme, red onion and vermouth for a sauce. Carrots, savoy cabbage and green beans for veg.
Roasted chicken carcasses and marrow bones earlier for stock. The carcasses and various pot veg are now in the slow cooker. The bones I'll deal with tomorrow.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Love the halloumi pie and yes please to the duck confit ltc! I’ve never made it, although we’ve made duck rillettes loads of times which I adore.

We have had an outdoor oven cookathon today. Pork shoulder and a new dish for us which is German shweinshaxe with caraway and beer.

01446CC7-43B3-4214-93BB-EAE1F07ACD60.jpeg
01446CC7-43B3-4214-93BB-EAE1F07ACD60.jpeg (105.66 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
D763286A-A30F-4653-B4FE-271611A06F4B.jpeg
D763286A-A30F-4653-B4FE-271611A06F4B.jpeg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

Plus baked potatoes, an apple pie and a tomato sauce from roasting lots of peppers, tomatoes, garlic, stock, wine and herbs. The sauce has been portioned up and will go in the freezer.

To make room in the freezer I’ve defrosted a load of berries to make smoothies for breakfast tomorrow.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:24 pm

Not done a lot of cooking the last few days, had friend round yesterday, got snacks from the Turkish bakery, a mushroom plait and two Gözleme (stuffed flatbreads), one potato with a little Aleppo pepper and garlic :yum and one spinach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6zleme

Here are ours being made

So lunch today was leftovers heated and served with a baba ganoush made by adding chopped pecans, pomegranate molasses, and finely diced tomato to some of my jar of fire roasted aubergine, which i allowed to drain in a sieve first

Dinner was roasted veg with a marinated lamb chop the lamb chop was disappointing, when I took the label off the pack the chops were very badly butchered, just randomly hacked I think, they were on offer but beginning to think supermarket meat is a waste of money however little it costs

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Although not something I'd rush to est, that looks wonderful, OMCO. Had to look up shweinshaxe. Your new oven's earned its keep already!

That sounds really delicious, Sue. After reading about your smoked aubergines I came across some on Waitrose when I wasn't particularly looking for them. I bought 2 jars, one as a gift for the person I'm staying with and one for me. I'm really looking forward to opening mine.

I've been cooked for for the last 3 suppers. Very nice salmon cooked with lemon infused oil and assorted veg for the first. Savoury mince and veg for the second and peppers stuffed with a very good nut roast and veg and roast potatoes tonight (followed by blackcurrant crumble). All very tasty indeed - will be sorry to leave!

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:32 am

Oh my OMCO that looks wonderful :yum , I have serious outdoor oven envy.
Love the sound of your Turkish snacks Sue, I agree supermarket meat is often badly prepared.
Enjoy being catered for EM, your meals sound delicious and it's always lovely to have someone else do the cooking.
The confit then roasted duck legs were really good and made a nice change. DS2's request that we had duck fat roasties was a good call, I wish I had made a lot more!
245038330_10221507452418953_1679862795077492851_n.jpg

Pasta with bacon, lemon, peas and crème fraiche tonight.

Postby Amyw » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Ah I haven’t had duck for ages … and I think duck fat roasties are a good call for any situation

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Tonight I just made a sort of bubble and squeak, cooked cabbage & leek mashed with potato, added a bit of kimchi which worked really well
Cooked it in the combi oven rather than frying, and added a cpupl eof eggs to make a meal

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:21 pm

Hello! Weird, I thought I'd written a post earlier but if I did, must have got sidetracked before actually posting it :oops: :oops:

Yesterday evening we had an old favourite - cumin seeds, red onion, chickpeas, spinach and lemon, all cooked together and in that order in a large pan. We had it on its own but it's great with all sorts of other things - in a pitta with hummus, for instance, or Greek yogurt etc!

Lunch today, Nigel Slater's figs and goat's cheese toasties, again :D
The honey/mustard dressing with tons of finely chopped rosemary is addictive! The shop at the end of the road is still selling trays of figs for £9.99, am very tempted to indulge again, while they're available! (I'm sure they'd be a lot more of a bargain at the market but we haven't been there really since Covid and the quality isn't always reliable.)

Tonight will be a lot of roasted long red peppers, with a few cherry tomatoes and shallots thrown in, and garlic cooked in our latest way, the whold bulb sliced around the middle and the two halves popped in to roast with the veg. Probably some quinoa or such like with it. Would be nice with pittas but having had a lot of bread earlier today, I think better to pass on that this evening :lol:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Those toasties do sound/look good KC!

Last night we had beef massaman curry with all the carbs...potatoes in the curry, plus sticky rice, naan and poppadoms...to meet all requests :roll: Plus wedges of lime, coriander and shredded spring onions on the side as well a gorgeous shop bought chutney/pickle which is peanut, chilli and sesame. Addictive stuff.

Lunch today will be the last of a veg drawer soup consisting of roast peppers, tomatoes, rice, harissa, feta and cavolo nero.

Dinner will be a pie. I'm thinking perhaps chicken, leek and tarragon.

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:54 pm

All sounding delicious Sue, KC2 & OMCO.
No cooking for me yesterday as I was out for lunch. DS2 made a chicken curry and I had a small bowlful while watching GBBO.
Sausage and butterbean casserole with baked spuds and green beans for dinner tonight. I also plan to make a pot of cauliflower soup this afternoon.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm

I think my cooking mojo is still Greek oriented. I am making stuffed peppers. I have the special Turkish broken rice, stock, herbs, cake spices and some spicy sausage which I will add when the rice mix has cooled, I will then suff the peppers and finish cooking in the oven (as per the Greek way) before eating. Salivating already !

Lunch today is the last of a tarama with Greek pittas from Moribobs RTC shelf. Which was a bit of a find as I left mine in the DF in Rodos.

Postby Kacey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 am

We had stuffed peppers too last night, but I had a corn cob and an avocado to use so stuffed mine with a 'Mexican' style rice and corn filling with plenty of spice, once they were cooked I topped them with a slice of strong cheddar cheese and a big dollop of guacamole. They were surprisingly delicious.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am

Those sound delicious Kacey. Mine are in the fridge ready to go in the oven, possibly later on today. We are due some sun on the solar panels so will do an ovens worth !

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:37 am

Pepper-tastic Zosh & Kacey :yum
I finally made the sausage & butter bean casserole that been floating on my meal plan for a few weeks. It was delicious. We had it with green beans and a small baked spud.
245456997_10221520789112362_3973253105541909110_n.jpg

Piri piri spiced chicken thighs with Nigel Slater's potatoes and peppers tonight. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... d-potatoes

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:06 pm

I used to confit quite a lot. There used to be a stall on Edmonton Green that sold trays of odd bits of ducks and turkeys, that I'd salt and cook slowly, using leftover Christmas goose grease with the turkey. It made a good roast for one person with spuds, parsnips and onions cooked in some of the fat, and a green veg on the side.

Last night we had venison picadillo with flatbread, sweet potato wedges and plantain chips, followed by baked apples and custard. This evening it will be vruoccoli arriminati. The recipe I use requires 'salty Sardinians' :shock:

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:12 pm

Sounds good BM, I sometimes buy a whole frozen duck and usually take the legs off to confit then refreeze. I cook mine in the sous vide vac packed with some salt and a spoonful of duck fat. As you say an ideal for a roast for one or two people.

Postby liketocook » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Cooked a tweaked version of Nigel Slater's potatoes and peppers last night which we had with piri piri spiced chicken thighs. I was expecting leftovers but DS2 has seconds!
245607103_10221525618993106_8785110601614668134_n.jpg

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm having a bash at Anna Jones' halloumi pie tonight.
Will report back.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox