Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:12 pm

I was really hungry and devoured this.
Oxtail stew with Juniper berries and veg with braised red cabbage.

Oxtail and braised red cabbage.jpg
Oxtail and braised red cabbage.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

Postby liketocook » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:36 pm

OH that looks gorgeous SG :yum
Not much cooking for me over the past few days. Last night was toast topped with baked beans, a slice of Lorne sausage and a fried egg. Tonight is a spicy chicken burger from the freezer with homemade air fried wedges and some salad.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Looks amazing sloe gin.

We were supposed to be having a Christmas get together with the neighbours tonight. There are just four houses on our lane so it was going to be a small party but one of the families has a child who has a compromised immune system so in light of the recent situation we decided to cancel/postpone. So…party food just for us! We had baked camembert, crudités, charcuterie, salads, bread. My eldest was using manchego to scoop out camembert, I love cheese but that was too much for me :D

We’re going to make homemade potato cakes in the morning for with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Something I haven't had in a long while tonight - steak (shin) & kidney (ox) casserole :yum with mash & roasted parsnips possibly some broad beans too..........comfort food at its best!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:My eldest was using manchego to scoop out camembert, I love cheese but that was too much for me

I do love the way you're educating your children to appreciate good food!

All those stews/casseroles sound good. Cold chicken and salad for me tonight, I've got lots of each left over - and the carcass in the slow cooker for soup next week.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Green Thai-style curry with cashews, mushrooms, tofu and green beans.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:07 pm

Waitrose didn't deliver the crab for my Thai fish cakes, so I've had tuna fishcakes and peas. Not pretty , but rather tasty!

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:20 pm

All sounding gorgeous. I love your daughter's style OMCO :D
Meal plan for this week after a good start on Friday & Saturday has officially gone to pot. :oops: Never mind it's never written in tablets of stone.
Last night ended up being eggs scrambled with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and tabasco on toast after a Zoom catch up with some pals. Tasty it was too.
Tonight I'm cooking a traybake inspired by a Nigel Slater and a couple of Nigella recipes involving chicken thighs, baby spuds, sausages, red pepper, peas and shallots. Leftovers will form the basis of tomorrow's lunch and a sausage casserole for dinner.

Postby liketocook » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Last night's traybake was gorgeous - chicken thighs, sausages, potatoes, garlic, shallots, red pepper, green beans. peas and chicken stock. Lots of leftovers, the remaining chicken & veg I'll have for lunch and the sausages and spuds will form the basis of dinner.
267468593_10221838145806081_6083713639973898138_n.jpg
267468593_10221838145806081_6083713639973898138_n.jpg (253.15 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 pm

That looks warming and delicious ltc!

I made a chunky soup with the fresh chicken stock, leftover chicken, a selection of vegetables, haricot beans - thickened with mashed butternut squash which I'd microwaved. Flavoured with lemon, thyme, garlic and a few chilli flakes. It was good, there are enough ingredients to have the same today but I've got GDs carol concert followed by a Zoom meeting so it'll probably be toast and cheese!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 pm

That looks great ltc!

We went to one of the Gusto chain restaurants on Sunday. I had the festive set menu and opted for bruschetta, slow cooked beef and a torte of some description.

Quick pasta dinner after a school performance last night…tagliatelle with tomato and basil sauce, spinach, peppers and parmesan.

I was starving after a school church carol service, a swim and body pump class this morning so had a rather large lunch of rice with prawns, green beans, spinach, garlic, chilli, lime etc.

Dinner was slow cooked lamb pie with a potato crust, served with loads of buttery green veg and some pickled red cabbage from a jar.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:51 am

Food all sounds and looks great

I had the second of two little slippers (papoutsakia) that I made up from homemade components I had stashed in the freezer - they are moussaka in the form of stuffed aubergine halves, but mine was not authentic

I halved a huge aubergine, par-cooked in the microwave and hollowed, I then mixed the chopped flesh with a thawed oversize portion of Nigella’s vegan spag bol, a chopped sautéed tomato, herbs & seasoning and filled the shells, topped with some thick cheese sauce, then baked until ready. I had some roast potato too

Postby Wic » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:15 am

We had Robert Carrier's Roman Peas with sautéed potatoes. It was an emergency measure because the previous night I had used some frozen peas and put the bag into the Vegetable drawer with the broccoli, instead of back into the freezer. Sigh. However, it’s a very nice recipe and I can’t think why we don’t have it more often!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 am

All sounds great, especially Sue's :yum.

There wasn't even time to make toast when I got in and I was hungry. With Zoom video switched off I dashed into the kitchen throwing together leftover haricot beans and green salad from the fridge along with tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, nuts, grated cheese and Heinz garlic sauce. It really hit the spot.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:57 am

Loving the sound of Sue's.

This is a rather nice festive traybake
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/one-pan ... nd-sausage
I use stock instead of oil.

Liver and onions for me tonight/

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Wic wrote:We had Robert Carrier's Roman Peas with sautéed potatoes. It was an emergency measure because the previous night I had used some frozen peas and put the bag into the Vegetable drawer with the broccoli, instead of back into the freezer. Sigh. However, it’s a very nice recipe and I can’t think why we don’t have it more often!

I have days when I seem to put things in the cheese, veg, or centre freezer drawer entirely at random

Postby liketocook » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Oh I've done that before Wic, great idea to use them up.
SG- that was one of the recipes I used to inspire my traybake. Like you I used stock instead of oil.
Mince and tatties tonight, I need something I can prep earlier and just quickly heat up as I'm Zooming with some pals.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Hairy Bikers Bolognese Ragu with pasta tonight.
J will be leaving Northallerton shortly so it's something that can be ready in 10 mins if he's ravenous when he gets home.
(I have already made the sauce, obv)

Postby Amyw » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Risotto cooked for the clients at work tonight . Definitely missed the wine from it though !!

Postby Renee » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:50 pm

What lovely food you're all having!

I bought a small gammon joint with a good layer of fat on it from Asda. I simmered in water first and then removed the skin, criss-crossed the fat and covered with a mix of spice, demerara sugar, oil and a small amount of lemon marmalade. The ham was lovely and the cubed and par-boiled potatoes roasted alongside the ham, so absorbed some of the juices.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox