Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:15 pm

I like the sound of that lasagne too!

The lamb steaks were delicious on Monday. Last night we were both late so picked up some kibbeh, salad and moutabel on the way home. Tonight is prawn and harissa linguine I think.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm

I made a sausage casserole last night, too. I was going to add green lentils, but a pouch of lentils and gains jumped into my hand. Served with gently fried sweetheart cabbage.

Tonight, we're trying Giarda's white bean and chicken chilli, courtesy of Rocky's recipe. I have no chard (not my fave anyway) so will sub baby spinach and we have turkey mince! Will report back

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:02 pm

We had our T & T white beans with carrots and mushrooms au vin yesterday, and there's almost enough left over for tonight. We'll have to see if we can pad it out a bit!

And I made a spring greens quiche a few days ago, that was really tasty. I'd had a bag of greens in the fridge for a while, and this worked incredibly well to use them up!

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I made a sausage casserole last night, too. I was going to add green lentils, but a pouch of lentils and gains jumped into my hand. Served with gently fried sweetheart cabbage.

Tonight, we're trying Giarda's white bean and chicken chilli, courtesy of Rocky's recipe. I have no chard (not my fave anyway) so will sub baby spinach and we have turkey mince! Will report back

I hope you enjoy it. I've never used chard - always spinach. And I have never added sweetcorn as that seemed weird!

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm loving the sound of everyone's meals.
Those pakora pancakes sound great Kacey, I can see why they would work well with dal.
Cheesy Chilli meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta (an Ainsley Harriott recipe) for us tonight.

Postby Kacey » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 pm

Hi EM

OH cannot stand eggs at any cost, I've just about got him to the point that I can have eggs if I sit the other side of the room. To be honest it wasn't too egg whitey with just 3, but I'm glad I reduced it from 5.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Thank you! They sound good.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:21 pm

After the yoga class that didn't happen, I am home early enough to enjoy a gin while the other half of Monday's lasagne warms through.
I might stir myself and chop a salad soon.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Giarda's chilli.jpg
Giarda's chilli.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

I omitted the sweetcorn too, but added a can of chopped tomatoes. It was deemed a hit!
Thanks Rocky.

Postby Kacey » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Tonight was tandoori cauliflower steaks, cabbage curry and a bit of Dishoom's black dal from the freezer. I think I could happily eat that dal everyday. Must make another big batch whilst I'm still wfh.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:28 pm

Can you share the black dal recipe please Kacey? I can google if not.

Tonight was supposed to be seafood stew with Sardinian fregola but we had run out of fregola. So I changed the dish completely and we had Caribbean seafood stew. It was rich, spicy and delicious and my husband is now suffering terribly with indigestion but deemed it worth it :D

I’ve defrosted some homemade tomato sauce from the freezer for tomorrow and inspired by ltc, we’ll have it with meatballs, pasta and fresh basil.

Postby Amber » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:05 am

We had this Sticky Sweet and Sour Plums and Sausages
Very nice :thumbsup .

Postby Amber » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:08 am

Sorry that was meant to be a link to a Yottam Ottolenghi recipe.

Postby Kacey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:44 am

You can find the recipe for Dishoom's black dal here https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... hani-curry I'd suggest doubling up on the quantities, its worth it due to the time it takes to make. Its a beautiful book by the way, well worth buying a copy.
I have my eye on the jackfruit biryani but I've not eaten jackfruit yet, I've had a couple of tins in the cupboard for a while but for some reason I haven't been able to bring myself to try it.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks Kacey! I’ll make it soon.

I’ve seen a recipe for roasted carrots with harissa, yoghurt and toasted hazelnuts which looks delicious. We’re having that tonight with lamb chops, green sauce and either flat bread or potatoes…I’ll let the girls decide which later.

The meatballs have been bumped to tomorrow night for a quick easy dinner before going out to a bonfire display.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:47 pm

Kacey wrote:You can find the recipe for Dishoom's black dal here https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... hani-curry I'd suggest doubling up on the quantities, its worth it due to the time it takes to make. Its a beautiful book by the way, well worth buying a copy.
I have my eye on the jackfruit biryani but I've not eaten jackfruit yet, I've had a couple of tins in the cupboard for a while but for some reason I haven't been able to bring myself to try it.

That looks good, I wonder if I’d notice the difference if I did the first cooking of the beans in the Instant Pot? Might try it

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:53 pm

Nice and easy one for us tonight - baked potatoes topped with butternut squash & black bean chilli from the freezer and some grated cheese.

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:21 pm

even easier for us - chunky leek and potato soup with grainy bread.

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:36 am

I made a pot of carrot and coriander soup for lunch. Perfect day for it.

Tonight’s dinner was a sausage traybake with lots of veg. Carrots, potatoes, red onion, red pepper, fennel and some leftover stir fried courgettes thrown in for the last five minutes.

Postby Kacey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:00 pm

No 'cooking' as such in this house tonight, will be out for a few beers in half an hour and Friday night is always burgers and chips and the trimmings when we get back.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox