Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue May 18, 2021 9:45 pm

Gorgeous sounding food!

Last night we had crab linguini with tomatoes, chilli, lemon and rocket.

Tonight dinner was a sort of hash/sauté of sausage, black pudding, apple, onion and new potatoes alongside a lightly spiced and pickled red cabbage.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 19, 2021 8:10 am

Always good food on here :D

Gillthepainter wrote:Tony and I went to the local farm shop and bought an expensive chicken, thinking we'll treat ourselves.
We couldn't really tell the difference between that and a jolly nice one from Waitrose.
It cost £18, and we'll have chicken and mushroom soup with it tonight. But we shan't bother with the chicken again.

The veg was rather nice from there, I'll give them that.
Live n learn, Gill, still sounds tasty. Have done similar - sort of - I've bought usually pretty expensive batches of wild prawns on occasion (on sale of course but still not cheap) ready for a taste sensation only to find that in a blind taste test I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference from good farm raised ... I dunno.

Garlicky braised squash is great for pumpkin/squash, walnut, pecorino or Parmesan or similar and crispy sage pasta. Braised sqaush and peppers is good too either as is or as part of bigger dish along with braised protein of choice.

Outstanding menu OMCO :D

Love Iberico pork PP

Beans. Bean having lots of beans this week :lol: per request as Mr0 loves them, yesterday with homemade flour tortillas as bean burritos. Had Mayacoba beans, which are lovely, then pinto beans which are much like borlottis.

Last night Mapo Tofu, stir fried veg, steamed rice.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 19, 2021 8:39 am

I wish we had the range of beans you have, Zero.
I adore them, that and lentils.

Do you use a tortilla press?

Postby Binky » Wed May 19, 2021 9:21 am

When we were in the Baja peninsula (which is part of Mexico) there were tortilla presses for sale everywhere. We brought back various knick-knacky souvenirs but wish we'd bought a press. There's nothing like a freshly made tortilla.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am

what do you do after you press the tortilla?
do you dry fry it?

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 am

I have one of those presses somewhere. I have not used it since I bohght it 30 years ago though :o

Postby Binky » Wed May 19, 2021 10:02 am

Gillthepainter wrote:what do you do after you press the tortilla?
do you dry fry it?

from what we could see, apart from the flour tortilla being used as a wrap for food, newly pressed ones were cut into triangles (like petticoat tails) and deep fried. They were served with guacamole and sour cream dips at most bars/restaurants/roadside shacks.

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 19, 2021 10:12 am

My press is to make corn tortillas with...

Postby Binky » Wed May 19, 2021 10:21 am

but when they're pressed, do you bake or dry fry them?

Postby scullion » Wed May 19, 2021 11:08 am

don't you cook them, briefly, on a bakestone? you could do them in your pizza oven, maybe.
i would love a tortilla press - it's one of my coveted gadgets - i often google and drool!.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Some lovely sounding food on menu's this week. :yum
Pork steaks for us tonight, not Iberico but local free range which are usually decent. I'll marinate them in garlic, rosemary, sage, olive oil and a splosh of red wine vinegar for a couple of hours before griddling them. We are having them with Jersey Royals and salad.

Yesterday's Jamie Oliver Crispy Chicken was absolutely delicious. The avocado sauce was a winner though I used the end of a carton of sour cream as it was needing used up rather than yoghurt. Super simple to make just well mashed avocado, sour cream, salt, pepper and a good splash of lemon juice and it went really well with the chook. My photo doesn't do it justice and presentation leaves a lot to be desired but I definitely recommend it.
IMG_20210518_205843[10373].jpg

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 19, 2021 2:58 pm

That looks excellent LTC

I’ve just made a basic Spanish omelette/frittata/tortilla/whatever - just olive oil, potatoes, spring onions, garlic, parsley s&p and following the Food Programme just a touch of MSG.
Game changer, really good

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 19, 2021 3:19 pm

The ingredients for Jay Rayner's pork, chorizo and butterbean stew (as discussed on the foodies in the news thread) should be arriving from Asda this afternoon ... also the chicken bits for the Rick Stein chicken with sumac and pomegranate mentioned above ...

I think we'll have the pork today as we haven't had any for so long. I couldn't get proper uncooked chorizo, unfortunately, but hope their extra special chorizo ring is reasonably adequate. I've also got pork loin, rather than the pork for braising he lists - it might need slightly less time to cook.

https://www.appetitemag.co.uk/jay-rayne ... bean-stew/

Yesterday evening we had Asda spinach and ricotta tortelloni with a spinach, cream and shallot sauce, with lots of nutmeg. The tortelloni were surprisingly good - we hadn't had them before.

I must look out that Food Programme on iPlayer, Sue - I still don't risk eating MSG but would be interested to hear what they have to say about it.

LTC, looks delicious :yum

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I wish we had the range of beans you have, Zero.
I adore them, that and lentils.

Do you use a tortilla press?

No, not for flour tortillas, Gill. The thin flour ones - aka wraps -are basically made very much like chapatis and the thicker flour tortillas like naan. In fact I use an old tweaked Dan Lepard naan recipe. Corn tortillas are different, usually bought but actually easily made if you can get the masa harina flour and I've never bothered with a tortilla press, just rolled out thinly between two larers of plastic or cling film and cut out using a side plate for a template :D I have a flat round cast iron griddle for cooking, but any fairly evenly heated surface will work as with all dry cooked/baked flat breads.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:That looks excellent LTC

I’ve just made a basic Spanish omelette/frittata/tortilla/whatever - just olive oil, potatoes, spring onions, garlic, parsley s&p and following the Food Programme just a touch of MSG.
Game changer, really good

Thanks Sue,
Yes game changer isn't. I can only find big bags round here which are no use to me but keep a bottle of Maggi Liquid Seasoning in the cupboard and a few drops added to dishes can really boost them. I can't handle too much but like Marmite a little goes a long way.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

I´ll second that, ZC. I bought a tortilla press when I was in Mexico, and I do use it - but I put the balls of dough between two pieces of plastic ( grab a plastic bag and split it open on all sides) and then squash it in the press. Just as easy to do with a rolling pin and a plate.
Wheat tortillas (to make burritos) - I just buy them from the supermarket.
I remember walking to the supermarket one day in Mexico City, about 11 o´clock in the morning, and seeing a huge queue. It was for the corn tortillas - people took away kilos and kilos and the tortilla machine was pumping them out at a rate of knots.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 am

Brilliant, thanks for the confident info.
I can get masa harina, when I next go to an artisan store in Bristol with a chum of mine.
Although our local fishmonger in Cirencester has spanish produce - I'll have a look there.
They used to stock it at Sainos, but we don't have one local any more.

I sort of do know how to do these, and am confident at making them in my head.

And I do have a 30cm iron pan for the process which I use for parathas, chapattis and so on and so forth.

The supermarket ones are great too, I always have a flat pack in the freezer.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 am

The avocado sauce

Looks cracking!
How do you make this please - just a rough idea.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
The avocado sauce

Looks cracking!
How do you make this please - just a rough idea.

It's just a mix of well mashed avocado, a tbsp or so of yoghurt or sour cream, good splash of lemon juice, salt, pepper and a few drops of tabasco.
I'm making the sauce again this weekend to have with turkey burgers as we both enjoyed it so much.

Easy dinner for us tonight of naan pizza.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 20, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks for that.
I'll add it to my cooking for my family visit repertoire this weekend coming.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox