Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:39 pm

We are having a sort of spanakopita tonight.

J dug up the chard plants and harvested what he could, not really enough so I padded it out with chopped butterhead lettuce and some peas.

It will be served with just salad as we overcarbed at lunch ( crisps, pork pie and bread) and we were both a complete waste of space this afternoon.

Postby liketocook » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:23 pm

With the plumbing work going on last week was a bit all over the place.
Tuesday we had an Indian takeaway, Wednesday leftover takeaway with sausages and potato croquettes and Thursday Nadiya's Chicken & rice traybake. On Friday we bought some lovely haddock which was breaded and shallow fried then served with Ayrshire tatties and tinned mushy peas. Last night was more Ayrshires, oven baked pork ribs with bbq sauce, broccoli and corn cobettes. Tonight I'm roasting a chicken which we'll have with corn cobettes, salad and herby baked baby potatoes.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:46 pm

In anticipation of being busy outside today, J made Madhur's beef in yoghurt and black pepper yesterday when I was at work.

As it happens, today has been such a washout and so cold I have put the heating on.

I feel for those who took tables at the party along the main street this afternoon.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Tonight will be epic chez moi. I am actually going to cook properly for myself for the first time in ages. Lamb’s liver, bacon and onions in a Marsala sauce with peas and mash.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:00 pm

getting your cooking mojo back, huh?
good for you, you can get back to eating the food that you like now.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:51 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Tonight will be epic chez moi. I am actually going to cook properly for myself for the first time in ages. Lamb’s liver, bacon and onions in a Marsala sauce with peas and mash.

Only just found this .... I was going to pop round and help you out ;) :yum :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Sorry Pat. Polo beat you to it!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:58 pm

Sounds delicious, PP. I often buy chicken livers. One pot gives 3-4 meals for £1. I just fry them with garlic and add lots of balsamic vinegar and a little tom puree. Lovely.

GD was here today. I had cooked savoury mince to make a plate pie as she likes making pastry. She made the pastry by herself and it was light as a feather. We clearly have a new cook in the family. Happily there's enough pie left for me to have tomorrow. :yum.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:54 pm

I made a sort of caponata. I think it needs a tiny bit more cooking (aubergine) but it's quite nice. I ate a dollop of it with some (Waitrose) Spanish omelette.

I really need return to cooking properly...

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:45 pm

I'm off to yoga shortly but I am assured I will return to lemon sole fillets with potato salad and green salad.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:26 pm

I mad e a chicken cacciatore in the Instant Pot on Monday
I had originally intended to slow cook but didn't have time, so I used the poultry setting to pressure cook it
Worked quite well, but I'd reduce the cooking time a little in future if browning the meat anyway, and it was a bit liquid, although the only added liquid was a 200g can of chopped tomatoes and about half a can of white wine. There ware quite a lot of vegetables which may have contributed juice
About to have my second portion
Yesterday I made a stuffed aubergine with some vegan spag bol sauce and topped with a bit of mozzarealla that was hanging round

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:36 am

Some lovely sanding food! We had a lovely roast chicken on Sunday night after the pageant. There was lots left over and I made stock from the carcass. So last night with a delicious chicken and asparagus risotto. The night before I was late home from work so made salmon and noodles with lots of veg. I know it is summer I really fancy sausages and cauliflower cheese tonight!

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:00 pm

A chicken has been well and truly stretched this week feeding myself, sister (and takeaway plate for my nephew) for three main meals plus a lunch for one. Carcass has been added to my freezer stash.
Sunday we had it hot with corn cobette, salad and new potatoes. Monday cold with various salads. Tuesday I made enchiladas with what was left and had leftovers from these for lunch yesterday. Last night was a quick put together of veg fingers with oven chips, peas, broad beans and flat mushroom. For tonight I've a portion of cottage pie defrosting made with ox cheek ragu.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:42 pm

Macaroni and cheese with salad for us tonight.

J left before 7 this morning for a job in Kidderminster.
He's unlikely to be back before 6.45, probably shattered and ravenous so it should hit the spot.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:33 am

Well I didn’t get home until past 730 and OH didn’t get home until eight. So although the sausages and cauliflower were sitting on the kitchen counter they hadn’t been cooked. So we popped out to the pub for a bite to eat. I had duck leg with Asian slaw which was really rather delicious! So sausages and cauliflower cheese on the menu for tonight…..

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:43 am

I had a quick and easy one last night
I cut up a courgette and cooked it slowly in a covered pan with a little splash of garlic evoo

I added cooked ricotta and spinach tortellini, a bit of St Agur blue cheese, lots of black pepper and some pasta water

Really good

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 pm

I've got lambs' liver simmering away in the Slow Cooker, with bacon, onion, beef stock and a healthy glass of port, for 8 hours. Half an hour before it's finished, I'll stir in a buerre manié - the bacon will have disintegrated into the gravy, but for me, this dish is all about the gravy. Mash, and hispi cabbage - and something red to help it on its way.

Edited to say - I could quite fancy that one day soon, Sue.

Postby Busybee » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:43 pm

Gruney2 wrote:I've got lambs' liver simmering away in the Slow Cooker, with bacon, onion, beef stock and a healthy glass of port, for 8 hours. Half an hour before it's finished, I'll stir in a buerre manié - the bacon will have disintegrated into the gravy, but for me, this dish is all about the gravy. Mash, and hispi cabbage - and something red to help it on its way.

Sue.

Ooh, you smooth talking so and so Gruney. You had me at liver and bacon……..

BB

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:09 pm

:lol: Busybee.

Postby Busybee » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:28 pm

I adore liver, the addition of bacon only makes it more appealing. Alas I am alone in this house in liking it, hence I never really cook it - but always have it if it’s on the menu out and about.

It seems to have fallen out of fashion, and with the exception of one Italian we used to frequent in Manchester it’s not really featured on menus.

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox