Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 pm

Even got the garlic past him Zerocook. Although if he has a bad night I will have to confess.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 am

That looks utterly delicious, Zero.
How do you find the wholewheat pasta?

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:30 am

last night's leftovers.

IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG (108.22 KiB) Viewed 3118 times

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:30 am

Yummy looking food ZC and scully :yum
Simple naan bread pizza for me tonight.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Pretty nice looking leftovers Scullion. :D

Naan bread sounds like a good pizza base, LTC. Do you use dough or do you use the cooked naans as the base?

Thank you Gill. I really like wholewheat pasta and use it whenever I can but still use white flour pasta a lot, especially for home made pasta.

Pepper Pig - I've cooked for self professed garlic haters and sometimes they can't tell! Curious about instant pots but there's a thread on that somewhere. That blog doesn't half promote sales for everything!

We had lasagna (meatless, which we like) from the frozen stash - it made 27 portions in all :shock: - along with a Greek salad.

I decided to allow the lasagna portions to thaw out completely but they produced a fair bit of liquid - probably from the tomato sauce and the whole result was a tad waterlogged tbh. . I usually part defrost in the nuker - no liquid or waterlogging - and then just heat thru either on a super low heat in a covered pan or just in the microwave which is faster but sometimes dries out too much on the top. Any from-frozen lasagna advice for best results?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Looking fab, Zero and Scully!!

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Naan bread sounds like a good pizza base, LTC. Do you use dough or do you use the cooked naans as the base?

Cooked bases - makes a nice and easy one person pizza. :)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Pesto made with 'lettuce leaf basil' (GW free seeds) and smoked olive oil with some weird pasta, OH bought which I am very dubious about. It's basically like long drinking straws. Was going to do a starter of fresh Turkish soft (I am hoping ricotta-like) cheese with pine nuts, fresh thyme and honey. I suppose this could also be a dessert. Will see how hungry we are/I am. (i don't think OH will go for it.)

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:10 pm

If your cheese is firmer than you want this sounds delicious herbi https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... no-vinegar

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:12 pm

liketocook wrote:Cooked bases - makes a nice and easy one person pizza. :)

Sounds like a good idea, LTC. I make naan a lot and usually have some around fresh or in the freezer.

herbidacious wrote:Pesto made with 'lettuce leaf basil' (GW free seeds) and smoked olive oil with some weird pasta, OH bought which I am very dubious about. It's basically like long drinking straws. Was going to do a starter of fresh Turkish soft (I am hoping ricotta-like) cheese with pine nuts, fresh thyme and honey. I suppose this could also be a dessert. Will see how hungry we are/I am. (i don't think OH will go for it.)

Sounds good Herbidacious - and that lettuce leaf basil sounds like the business - might have to investigate that to grow. The pasta is probably a version of bucatini or ziti - very good for getting sauces to cling etc btw. We like it a lot.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 pm

ZeroCook, if you use veg with stalks like broccoli in your lasagne to be frozen, the water could be from those when the ice crystals form and break them down when freezing/thawing.

Other watery veg could be sauteed to a dryer state before constructing the dish. If loosely covering the reheating pot in the microwave doesn't stop the top drying, try draping a slice of wet bread on top until the last 30secs then replace with a bit of grated cheese.

herbidacious, your "drinking straw" pasta could be bucatini which is thin and hollow. Although they do actually make drinking straws from pasta now so it's conceivable that straws are indeed what you have :D

Nothing special here today as not very hungry. Not used to warm weather!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:35 am

some weird pasta, OH bought which I am very dubious about. It's basically like long drinking straws.

Jeral beat me to it!!
Sounds like bucatini to me as well. The advantage it has is that not only does the sauce coat the pasta, but it is also absorbed inside. It´s a great pasta to have with pesto; the original version, or any of its millenial variations.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 am

It didn't say bucatini on the packet, but yes, that must be what it is I think it might have been Greek/Turkish. Anyway I am not a fan. It was like straight, old-fashioned telephone wire.

The pesto was a good one :)

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Herbi If they're Greek they are possibly the noodles that are sold to make Pastitsio, the one's I have (from Greece) are the Misko Brand "No 2 pasta" but you can get them in the UK https://www.agoragreekdelicacies.co.uk/ ... itsio.html

My elder son and sister are coming for dinner this evening and I'm going with a Middle Eastern vibe, chicken & veg skewers, rice & lentils, yoghurt dip, salad and pitta. I might also make some hummus.

Postby Binky » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm

We're doing Middle Eastern too. Spicy Chickpea Fritters with a lemony garlic dressing and salad. This is the recipe I used.

https://naturallyella.com/chickpea-fritters/

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:30 pm

The chickpea fritters look lovely, Binky!

We had some nice salads for lunch with some fresh M & S san francisco sourdough bread. Broad beans, green beans and butterbeans with avocado and oregano. Grated carrot with celery, raisins, cashews and dill. Rocket and watercress.
I used the same EVOO etc dressing with some added tarragon vinegar on the carrots.
The last half slice each of lemon drizzle for pudd.

Tonight we've got a couple of turkey steaks which we'll probably do in the oven with onion and tomatoes and various spices.

I've made up a bottle of iced Earl Grey tea for the fridge.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Lots of great sounding food from everyone.

We came back from hols yesterday and the fridge is pretty bare. I’ve defrosted some chicken thighs which we’ll have with harissa, feta from a jar, peppers from a jar and tabbouleh. OH has picked up a bag of watercress to go with it.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am

Hope you had good hols OMCO, KC2 some nice salad inspiration there and love Scullion and ZC’s pics.

I’ve had leftover quinoa salad for lunches. Dinner on Monday was sausages and cauliflower cheese - which was a bit mad given the weather. Last night smoked mackerel and a salad with feta, olives and other interesting bits.

Tonight I think we are having a chicken dish that we’ve been having for years - chicken with asparagus, sugar snaps and tender stem broccoli in a lemon white wine sauce. One of those ones that is more than the sum of its parts.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:55 am

Those chickpea fritters look rather good Binky
Yesterday's meal went really well and the Lebanese style rice & lentil dish was gorgeous, though browning the onions was time consuming the rest was straightforward enough and I'll definitely make it again.
IMG_20210608_210447[10442].jpg

I've yet to decide what to cook for dinner but lunch will be leftovers.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:25 pm

I discovered a lonely pork chop in the freezer which defrosted nicely in time for dinner yesterday. Along with some butter roasted Jersey Royals, a garlic topped mushroom and some green beans it made a tasty meal.
IMG_20210609_205407[10456].jpg

Easy dinner this evening of lasagne from the freezer with either green beans or salad.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox