Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 am

Salad looks great Amy, as does meatloaf

I had a big cook yesterday, as I had an onion squash and 2 nice little lamb neck fillets
I cut a portion of lamb, marinated in the usual kebab flavours of evoo, garlic and herbs, roasted it in the oven alongside half the squash cut into wedges and a little dish of parsnip and leek gratin

The remaining meat and squash with a can of chick peas and all the usual flavourings I made into a tagline which I cooked in the IP in slow cooker mode.

I ate the roast lamb and the gratin with green veg last night

The roast squash is in the fridge for soup tomorrow

Today I walked down to the market and got proper flatbreads from Ararat bakery, so I had one with a quarter of the tagline for supper tonight

Three portions of tagline and some flatbreads currently freezing down

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:44 pm

What a productive day Sue. All sounds delicious.

KC2 - gorgeous looking meatloaf.

I had some dumplings from the freezer for lunch. We are friends over for dinner. We have been to the butcher and got a selection of ribeye and sirloin steaks. We have made caponata to go with them and will roast some small spuds. I have also made a quinoa salad that doesn't go with it but I waned to do something interesting.....

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm

Tonight it will be the other half of the lamb and chickpea curry, with rice and chapatis.
That's after a couple of beers with pals :thumbsup

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 pm

Last night we had a veg curry with brown rice kitchari and tonight will be a variation on Nigel Slater’s polpettine. Instead of making up the meatballs I’ll be cooking the mix as a ragu to serve with spaghetti.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm

One of my favourites last night. Haddock fillets from the freezer in a buttered pie dish topped with a generous amount of seeded crumbs, nuts and parmesan ground together and baked. Served with assorted garlicky stir fried veg. It worked out very well indeed.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:05 pm

Delia's chicken Basque style tonight.
Sans the oranges, as usual.

I really like oranges but not in this dish.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm

Tonight it's Alison Roman's slow roasted chicken with oregano - except we have used rosemary! - garlic and tomatoes. Ground fennel seeds (in my new Cuisinart spice grinder) are rubbed into the skin, along with s & p

Lunch was the second outing for carrot and ginger soup I made yesterday. The ginger was getting really hot today having started off quite strong yesterday. Enough for tomorrow as well, I think. I may well have to calm it down tomorrow!

Postby liketocook » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:04 pm

A "take" on Nigella's chicken and peas traybake tonight with some added baby spuds and using shallots instead of leeks.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:10 pm

Why is it I can always get a crust (forget the real term) on the rice when cooking Basque chicken, but never when making paella?
Humph.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 pm

liketocook wrote:A "take" on Nigella's chicken and peas traybake tonight with some added baby spuds and using shallots instead of leeks.

OOh, I love that, do you have a recipe for it? It was on one of her TV programmes ages ago.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 pm

I slow roasted a selection of root veg and leeks with some water powdered garlic, mixed herbs and Five Spice added then roughly blitzed it into a very thick 'soup'. Served it with warmed, halved falafel, grated cheese and a sprinkling of mixed salted nuts. It used up things that needed using up and tasted delicious - and filling. There's some left for tomorrow 's lunch.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:57 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
liketocook wrote:A "take" on Nigella's chicken and peas traybake tonight with some added baby spuds and using shallots instead of leeks.

OOh, I love that, do you have a recipe for it? It was on one of her TV programmes ages ago.

It's this one KC2 https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chicken ... a-traybake though I don't put the peas in at the beginning usually about halfway through as I find they catch.
Sounds good EM, I always like "use up" dishes, usually taste great but so hard to replicate!

Postby liketocook » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:23 pm

Yesterday I made a fondue as my sister had requested this for her birthday dinner. Worked well and was well received by the birthday girl. :)
Tonight it's belly pork in a tomatoey bbq sauce with baked baby spuds, garlic mushrooms and tinned corn.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:37 pm

Just me tonight so it will be a baked potato with tuna and a big spoonful of coleslaw.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 pm

I have had cheat's meals the last 2 nights
Saturday I made a pizza using an Ararat bakery flat bread as a base
Before baking
After, should have done it quicker, slight soggy bottom, but really nice and will repeat
Yesterday I had a Morrison's big Thai fishcake with a vaguely Thai vaguely sweet and sour stir fry, I put some sweet chilli sauce in the stir fry which worked well

No idea about tonight, might retrieve a slow cooked baked spud from the freezer and top it with something

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 pm

That pizza looks incredible

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:31 am

I've not been cooking much lately... but there was some boiled potato left over from the Pommes Lyonnaise OH made the other night (the smell in the kitchen has just about gone now... ;) ) so I made potato farls which we ate with lightly fried egg, butter and a little sriracha.

I am really longing for some non-comfort food though! (i.e. something light and non-fatty and non-carbohydratey.)

Postby halfateabag » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 am

Stupidly I bought a bag of reduced very highly spiced HOT fish strips from Iceland..... They are so very HOT I can't eat them. Even OH struggled. Not happy..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postby Amber » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 am

WWordsworth wrote:Why is it I can always get a crust (forget the real term) on the rice when cooking Basque chicken, but never when making paella?
Humph.

Taah dig. It’s needs to ‘set/cook’ on the base for a while.

Love it. A blob of butter helps :thumbsup :thumbsup .

herbidacious wrote:
I am really longing for some non-comfort food though! (i.e. something light and non-fatty and non-carbohydratey.)

Me too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:11 am

I didn’t have the spud
I shredded some leeks and sweated in a little butter, stirred through pasta and crumbled blue cheese with a splash of pasta water
I had a salad for lunch, so that’s ok for the day

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox