Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:42 am

Had lunch out yesterday. I had crispy duck bao bun with pickled carrots. Absolutely lovely.

For dinner I made white chicken chilli which has kale in it (so not completely ‘white’!)

OH is making caponata today so we will have that this evening with some lamb meatballs and … something

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 am

Mainly easy favourites - Gambas Pilpil last night, Tacos with Pibil beef.

Made a Rick Bayless Squash flower soup aka Crema de Flores de Calabaza but decided to go without the crema, used an extra small potato instead. Very lovely summer soup. Could use super fine slivers or shavings/peelings of squash in place of flowers.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gol ... pe-1940175

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 am

Wow, that's a glorious soup, Zero.
Cannot quite see which recipe in the link, but nevertheless lovely cooking.

Fish fish fish last evening.
Salmon with mustard sauce and dill oil.

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 am

Two lovely looking plates.

The caponata is cooking and I have just nipped to Sainsbury’s and bought some bns and squash croquettes to have with that and the meatballs this evening

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Pizza Saturday.jpg
Pizza Saturday.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

Yesterday was Pizza Saturday ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Gorgeous looking food, all :yum

We're planning to make your quinoa salad tonight, Rocky. We don't have any red onions so will use a finely chopped banana shallot instead, or maybe just some chives.

Lunch was the third (!) meal from a leek quiche I made a few days ago with OH's current fave salad, grated carrot and apple, celery, raisins, dill, with a nice vinegary dressing (shades of the other thread where gerkin pickling juice is so popular :lol: )
We also had some left-over polenta with h-m coriander pesto smeared on it and left-over roasted peppers on top of that.

Having tried quite a few different own brand supermarket white wine vinegars I've definitely come to the conclusion that we like the Sainsbury's one best. Lidl comes second. No to Tesco, Asda or Waitrose. Haven't tried Morrisons.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 pm

Great salad, Rocky!
I forgot the pepper, and used pinto beans, cavolo nero, shallot (not much, as we're not over fond of much raw onion)

Definitely one to keep in the repertoire now :thumbsup
Attachments
Quinoa salad.jpg
Quinoa salad.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 2163 times

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Gill, I think you got routed to the UK foodnetwork - not on there but some interesting dishes listed.
Another link
https://www.melissas.com/blogs/side-dis ... e-calabaza

Dill oil and mustard sauce sound fab with that salmon. Is the oil an infusion you keep around or made when needed?

KC2 - know the 3 day syndrome :lol: Love leek quiche. Speaking of fave salads, we have a crossover remajon and greek salad that has a vinaigrette of white balsamic, caper and kalamata brine and evoo. Your Rocky salad looks very good

Tasty looking pizza Suffs - reminds me that it's been a while.

I'm toying with the idea of squash blossom quiche - possibly with leek - and/or purslane. We shall see. I've also picked some grape leaves, possibly for dolmas ...

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:30 am

I’m so glad you liked it KC2. Looks very pretty!

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:53 am

Delicious looking and sounding food everyone, although I've just eaten toast & marmite I'm drooling! :yum
Cooked meal I've not made in a long time yesterday - chicken thigh fillet marinated in yoghurt, sumac, oregano and garlic with sliced onions. peppers and pitta. You bake the chicken & veg on top of the pitta. The pitta absorbs all the cooking juices and goes really crispy but because it's covered with the veg & meat it doesn't burn. It's based on a recipe I got from a blog years ago possibly "Syrian Foodie in London" or a similar name but I'm not sure as I can't remember what the original dish was called.
Veggie pasta tonight with pesto, spinach, mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 pm

Supper yesterday was the pot roast Silverside of Red Poll beef ... rubbed with dry mustard, seared then cooked for 6 hours on a bed of veg in the old fashioned basic Crock Pot slow cooker. We had it with new potatoes, cauliflower with a bechamel sauce, runner beans and the most fabulous gravy made from the veg and meat juices from the Crock Pot ......... oh and lots of horseradish of course. Very pleased with that.

Plenty left for sandwiches for today's lunch :bounce:

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm

liketocook wrote:Delicious looking and sounding food everyone, although I've just eaten toast & marmite I'm drooling! :yum
Cooked meal I've not made in a long time yesterday - chicken thigh fillet marinated in yoghurt, sumac, oregano and garlic with sliced onions. peppers and pitta. You bake the chicken & veg on top of the pitta. The pitta absorbs all the cooking juices and goes really crispy but because it's covered with the veg & meat it doesn't burn. It's based on a recipe I got from a blog years ago possibly "Syrian Foodie in London" or a similar name but I'm not sure as I can't remember what the original dish was called.

That sounds lovely, LTC. Do you use the marinade as well? And do you have a preference for thigh fillets with or without the skin?

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Yes KC, the marinade goes on to I only use enough yoghurt to just coat the chicken. I use either skin on or off thighs depending on what I have, usually boned but not always it's very forgiving dish and you could use legs. Last night I used skinned and boned thigh fillets as I had a couple of small ones lurking in the freezer. Be generous with the sumac, I used a heaped dsp in both the marinade and veg mix. It took 35 mins to cook at 170C fan.

That sounds totally scrumptious suffs. :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Sounds like a posh kebab, ltc ;).

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:55 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Sounds like a posh kebab, ltc ;).

Yes pretty much those flavours EM :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks, LTC, will definitely give them a try.

Tonight we'rehaving the end of Rocky's quinoa salad, with some lamb - they're actually mint and coriander kebabs as Waitrose didn't have any of their lamb and apricot burgers yesterday in their 3 for £10, but we don't have a functioning grill. (https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 2014-12015) The one in the fan oven is horrendously smokey and unusable.

I thought of taking them off the skewers and then putting them in the oven - do you think that would work?

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm

I think that would work just fine KC2, I often bake koftas etc. and they turn out well.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks, LTC :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

I made butter today - for work. It was surprisingly quick.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:22 pm

Yes once it gets going it comes together quite quickly especially if you use a mixer. Great to use up surplus cream. :D
When the boys were at home we made it a few times for various projects (school & cubs) by shaking a jar which was great fun. I think shaping it was their favourite bit. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox